Amp to Sub Problem--Kicker L7, Clarion DPX11500

Username: Lochner43

Post Number: 1
I put in my uncles 06 12" L7 and had it hooked up to my Clarion DPX11500 mono 1500 watt amp and my voice coils burned up in less then a day, i am going to buy another L7 this weekend but what is my problem with the voice coils?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7465
The problem is one or two things.

1:You're feeding the subs too much power and causing the coils to heat up and fry.

2:You're clipping the subs which will cause a LOT of heat and cause the voice coils fry.

What kind of voltage levels are you sitting at when you're bumping? Are your lights dimming very badly?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6891
It is always number 2. People don't know how to set amp gain.

Of course the fact that it's an L7 doesn't help, their build quality is crap.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7470
You try building a million subs and see what happens M.S. haha.

Username: Lochner43

Post Number: 2
i had my gain turn down pretty low just because i had the same problem with my two mtx 7500's so i brought it to my uncles friend who owned the local stereo shop and he said that i could have actually turned the gain up more, he did say that my crossover was a little higher then he would have put it. the sub actually blew about half a mile down the road from his house after i left though. he said that he thinks the coils were fried before i got there and the sub just gave up after i left. And my lights do dim pretty decently but not as bad as it was with the two mtx

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6208
Funny you should have a DPX11500 and an L7. I recently sold a DPX11500 to a guy that was going to run it on an L715. We did not do the install at our shop, but he went down the road and had another shop install in. The L7 lasted all of 2 days.

As for the L712 you have, your amp is capable of producing twice your subs rated power. So, if you send that sub a clipped signal from that 1500wrms amp...it is going to die VERY soon. You may be able to get alot of clean power to that sub, but in the long run you are way over powering it for daily use.

Make sure your electrical system can handle your amp. If not, the amp will clip without producing full power.

If you get another L7, get DVC 2ohm. Wire it to 4ohm w/ that DPX11500, that will be plenty of power for the L7. Also, set your SSF to just below your boxes tuning and the LPF to 80-100hz. Donot use any bass boost.

Set the gain correctly and make sure the sub is not being overpowered or distorting.

Do this and your sub/amp will last for a long time.

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1941
did you have the bass boost on the amp turned on?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us