2 12" PPI subwoofers to 600 watt planet audio amp

Lenny Vincent
I want to know what the best way to wire my 2 12" PPI subs to my 2-channel 600 watt Planet Audio amp.

teflondog
i need to know these before i can answer your questions. do those subs have dual voice coils? how many ohms is the amp stable to?

Lenny Vincent
RMS power into 4 ohms is 150w times 2 MAX power into 2 ohms is 300w times 2 Bridged mono power into 4 ohms is 300w times 1 maximum speaker impedance is 2 ohms 12" PPI subs are 4/8 ohm-single voice coil-300 watts. Right now I have it hooked up in a ported box with the subs basically hidden with the port in the front.It's a rectangle in the front centered.It's wired straight.1 speaker to 1 channel and 1 to the other. It thumps nice! I was just being that bass-greedy guy that I am.LOL I know a lot about this stuff, but I seem to have forgot most of it.I'll actually go out to my whip tomorrow and open it up to see exactly what my speakers are.I was so frustrated with the woofer dilemma in recent past that I gave the guy my 12" earthquake magma back and told him to trade me straight up for the PPI's(box included).I didn't have the patience to really get into specs with the guy.All I know is these 2 12" PPI's bang way nicer than the earthquake magma that's for sure.My amp is pretty nice.It puts out some pretty reliable power.My amp likes to eat up speakers.Magma included.Alright man get back to me when you get a chance and tell me if there is a way for me to squeeze these 12" for a little more without toasting them. THANKS!

teflondog
for optimal performance, make sure that the speakers are wired for 2 ohms. that will make the resistance perfect for your amp. it sounds like you already hooked it up perfectly but just to make sure, check to see if the subs are wired for 2 ohms. congratulations on your setup. i think magmas sound great, but if yours sound better then it must be awesome.

Lenny Vincent
Ok, I took my box out and took 1 sub out looked at it.4 ohm 12" 300 watts rms-500 watts max handling.Only one set of voice coils PPI C2 Power Class.I looked up the specs online but it was easily clarified the specs of the speaker.When I looked up my woofers you can get an 8 ohm or 4 ohm C2 PPI woofer.Mine says 4 ohm on the back.So with that and my amp specs can you tell me what the best way to hook it up.Planet Audio RMS power into 4 ohms-150x2 MAX power into 2 ohms-300x2 Bridged power into 4 ohms-300x1.Maximum speaker impedance is 2 ohms.THD-0.0001-IMD-0.0001 Frequency response-10hz-30k Power response-20hz-20khz-0.1dB Input sensitivity-100mV-5V Input impedance-22k-ohm Signal-to Noise ratio-102dB Phase adjustment-variable from 0 to 180 Degrees Crossovers-Low Pass-35Hz-155Hz HIGH PASS-105Hz-1.2KHz BASS BOOST-0 -/+18dB Fuse Rating 30Ax2. So based on those specifications and my speaker-300 watts RMS-500 Watts peak- 4 ohm get back to me. Thanks!

Diazman
I think you should use the amp in one channel (mono) and connect both speakers to it on that one channel so that it would go down to 2ohms and that way you can squeeze all the power you can.

Lenny Vincent
so if I just hook up positives from both speakers and negatives from both to one channel(positives to positives and negatives to negatives)it will bring it to 2 ohms and squeeze my amp for the most power?My amp is not a mono amp,it will work like that?

Lenny Vincent
Oh yeah, plus look at the specs on my amp above.It says max power into 2 ohms is 300x2.Wouldn't that mean if I'm not running 2 woofers wired to 2 ohms, 1 to each channel, since I'm putting both on 1 channel to get the 2 ohms does that mean I'm only getting 300x1? Due to the fact that it's only 1 channel?

teflondog
no! no! no! you cannot bridge that amp into a 2 ohm load. the specs says clearly that bridged mono power into 4 ohms is 300 watts x 1. your amp is not stable down to 2 ohms. if you try this, it will either get fried or it will shut off to protect itself. your subs are only single voice coil so the only option you have is to connect each channel to each sub for 150 watts x 2. the only other option is to go buy a mono amp.

Lenny Vincent
My amp is 2 ohm stable.

most amps are 2 ohm stable, but not alot are 2 ohm stable in bridged mode. Unless it says 2 ohm stable in bridged mode, DONT BRIDGE IT IN 2 OHMS...lol

teflondog
your amp is 2 ohm stable only for each channel. if you bridge it, it's like combining both channels and is only stable to 4 ohms. you can either have 2 ohms hooked up to each channel or 4 ohms bridged.

Lenny Vincent
Ok, so bottom line is wire 1 speaker to 1 channel 1 to the other and call it a day? It sounds nice but, like I said I just wanted to get more. lol Thanks fellas!!!

Lenny Vincent
Hey anyone know of some good sites to get some wiring diagrams for cars? I'm putting my friends radio in and someone already cut the factory harness.I could wing it but, the internet is quik and easy to avoid problems.Help me out if you can. Thanks

teflondog
actually lenny, by hooking up each speaker to each channel, that's the most power you'll get. your amp puts out 300 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms. that's a total of 600 watts. but to get all 600 you need 2 ohm speakers. single voice coil subs aren't very flexible so you're not left with many options.
i don't know of any specific sites that have wiring diagrams for cars. what i would do in your case is take a look at the stock radio if you still have it. there should be a sticker of the wiring diagram on it. then you just need a radio install kit and you're set.

Lenny Vincent
Thanks for all your help. I did the radio. no problem.I'm really satisfied with my sub amp setup.It bumps!Plus,by not soaking my amp for everything it has will keep it running smooth instead of;overheating and excessive wear and tear.So,it's not such a loss.More thump would be silly,well,not necessary.lol.Especially with all these cops taking boxes and writing noise pollution tickets around my area.But you know we all want more power!lol My next buys are going to be another Planet Audio amp-4-channel 400 watts, with cerwin vega interior setup,fronts and rears with crossovers.It's gonna be sweet man.I have good pounding bass, now I want my accoustics.Thanks again to all.I appreciate it.I'll be back!lol

Here is a good diagram of speaker wiring. Hope this helps. http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W3_BDS.pdf

Dan Camilla
I have an MTX Thunder 8100d amplifier that is running at 2 ohms. Currently i have 4 10" subs that are dual 4ohm. I want to switch to one sub. If the amp is one channel and 2 ohms what should the single subwoofer's ohms be?

If I buy 3-10", 4-ohm single VC subs, how do I wire them so that they will produce 1 ohm on a class D 1ohm stable amp?

Anonymouse
You cant.The lowest you can go is 1.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333 ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us