Brad warren....sound stage question

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19423
ok as you know, i recently built a pod for my door. after i wired everything up, it sounds great. it sounds way better than when i had it in the kick panel.

anyways, the mid sounded a bit hollow so i put a little bit of polyfill in there and it made it sound a lot better.

my question is this. when i sit in the driver side, the sound is louder on my left ear. when i sit in the passenger side, the sound is louder on my right ear. how can i make it more in the middle?

i am thinking i should aim my tweeters better. they are facing each other. i got some tape and fired both towards me and it helped a little but still its not centered.

so should i go with a aluminum or titanium tweeters? some thing that works well off axis maybe.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19424
should i use some imaging tweeters?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19425
also would using a bit of rearfill correct the problem?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 3784
wanna buy the mmats 6x9's back lol.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3568
The left right thing is as easy as just using the balance control on your receiver. As far as which to pick on aluminum/titanium, there aren't alot of titanium drivers in car audio to choose from. You're best bet at this point in your quest for greatness is to look for 4 ohm versions of the top-end high power titanium domes like ScanSpeak, Accuton, Seas, Eton, Morel, Audax etc.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4777
chad are the mids aimed at all or pointing directly across from one another?

best way to get a very center soundstage is aiming them towards the dome.. well you do not have to go as high but that general area.. but of course your mids are up high and close to the ear so i think youll have a hard time getting it centered

putting the tweets in the pillars will help but you will notice a strong side still.. t/a will fix it but only for sitting on one side

to completely fix it.. your not going to want to hear it :-) .. but youll need to move the mids

the discolor your hearing.. "hollowness" .. a lot of people fix that by cutting a hole in the back of the pod.. my kicks are done that way.. basically your pod is resonating .. you can try to add some playdoe on it and it might help

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 2486
Chadly...

Try putting your tweets down by your kicks and then also try putting them on the dash. Each car is different so there is not one universal place to put them. I tried mine out on the A pillars and it was extremely harsh. Then I tried on the dash facing the glass, and that sucked. Finally I put them down by my kicks and it sounds awesome.

I actually have my tweet and a 4" in the stock location with my 61/2s down in the pods. The staging probably could be better but would force me to cut more holes in the doors, which IMO isnt worth it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4778
i'd really suggest running a 3.5-4.0" midrange in a pod with your tweets.. or tweets in the pillars depending on sound

...i know you don't want kicks but they work very well and if its a small driver you won't have issues with it taking up much space

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19426
damn it. i might just go with a nice 2 way. its too much work to get it just right. lol.

ima mess with the tweeter placement today.

kevin, i've had it in the kick pod. when i do the right side is louder cause of the angle.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19427
my other idea is this. what do you think guys?

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7378
Chad if you want a perfect sound stage you'll have to do some serious modifications :-) Center drive vehicle for the win. No that you'll do it but you'd have to have your driver's seat directly in the center of the car. For your imaging to sound "equal" in power/ sound you can uses the balance just as Brad said and time correction if your head unit has it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19428
i know rob. the reason i am complaining like a little b!tch is cause it didn't do that before. before i had a good center stage. lol. i think ima put my stuff the way it was before. lol.

right now i have the balance at +3 on the right. i don't like doing that. i need everything to be just normal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7380
Tune it through your amp(s) as well if you have to. If it sounded better before go back to that then...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19429
getting the perfect sound is just too hard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7382
Another thing is what you consider "perfect" may not be to the next guy haha. It's preference. I'm sure you've come a long way though since what you were used to.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19431
i am sure. but as long as it sounds good my ear thats all that counts. lol.

i think ima go with a nice 2 way set. 3 ways are just too hard to setup in my car. the cabin is just too small. when i sit in the backseat, its perfect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4779
chad.. have you tried putting them in the kicks with no angle? if not i'd try that.. or barely angle them out

i have a very centered soundstage no matter which side you sit on .. only problem is the sound does not project far enough towards the hood even tho it is eye level

i would not rec the tweeter position you had there on the door.. either mount it near the mid in the kicks or bring it up in the pillar.. with the tweeter that low in your door your staging will be low

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19439
alright thanks kevin.

so this is what ima do. ima put the tweets back on the window sail (which is practically the a pillar) and put the mids down low at the kick panel.

then later ima buy a nice 2 way and go with the stock locations (which is pretty much how you described it).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4780
well yes and no.. i wouldn't use the stock location for the mid..

just piece together you a nice 2 way and go with some 3.5-4.0 mids and put them in the kicks at a slight angle.. well try them not angled first.. just kinda mount them in some mdf ghetto like to test the sound
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us