Anyone ever try titanium tweets?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19395
if so how do they differ from aluminum? assuming you heard the aluminum as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6811
Most metal tweeters sound too bight to me.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3565
Very complex question Chad. Many metal dome tweeters are better suited for off-axis (outside or near the limits of a given domes' horizontal and vertical dispersion). Titanium is harder and stronger than aluminum by weight. This is strictly pure titanium and aluminum now... there are aluminum alloys out there that are as strong or stronger than titanium by weight. But then there are also titanium alloys as well. To simply state that the material used in a dome or compression driver is the end-all determining factor in it's sound and response is misleading at best. There are many factors that go in to making a high frequency driver. But on a general scale, titanium will be crisper and more detailed (some might say shrill) than aluminum due to it's superior stiffness-to-weight ratio and will also (generally) handle more power and will be more immune to cone breakup. This is why titanium is very common in pro sound high frequency compression drivers. Aluminum "warms" the sound a bit to most people, and is seen as a decent halfway point between the smoothness (but decreased very high frequency response) of a silk dome. Buying a very high quality dome is definitely more of a factor than the material used in the diaphragm. There are high end examples of domes made with each of these materials, as well as beryllium, magnesium and polyester. It all comes down to the build quality, intended use, output requirements -- and your ears.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19403
nice read brad.

i want to try a set off axis. that is why i asked and you pretty much answered my question. as always.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3365
brads the man

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 14935
^^^^X10000

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids love my rhyme...

Post Number: 4771
Yeah even though Brad is a feg, he does know his sh1t. Be the next Glasswolf, Brad. You won't even.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 14940
Brad isn't here everyday. That poses problems lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us