BIG MISS HAP:-(!!

Silver Member
Username: Ska

USA

Post Number: 681
So... i tried to do my big 3 today (0 gauge wire i got from paul:-)) and almost blew my battery and lit my car on fire...

i got the - on the bat to the engin and chassis, the problem was with the alternator, the only bolt that is visable on it is tightened on with what seems like 80psi and wouldn't budge, so i tried another bolt, worked great, then i put the other end to the + on the battery and sparks flew every where, so i figured "ok, the wire is charged so obviouelsy there will be sparks" then i did it again more sparks, and again, more sparks, then i just said screw the sparks and got the wire on the +, and i hear sizzling and crackling, i thought it was from the soda i pored on it to get rid of the gunk build up, my fiance's dad looked at it and yelled GET THAT WIRE OFF THE BATTERY THATS THE GROUND... so yea, that sucks, and unlike alot of cars, my alternator is on the furthest most corner from the battery, most are on the upper left or right, mine is on the bottom left while the bat is on the right of the car (facing it)....

any suggestions on how to fix this?

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 774
careful you can really mess up your ecu that way

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 683
yea, luckly everything still works perfectly... idk how im going to do this... i can not get that bolt off that is right on the alt unless i go from under neith??

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

All he does is catch t..., Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 14040
the only thing that goes to the + of the battery is the + on the alt...there should be a small wire already running from the alt to the batter...none of your grounds should touch the + of the battery

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 684
yea, i know that now... like i didn't knwo that was the ground for the alt... so there is a wire that comes off the alt that is a +? and i just attatch it to that?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7254
Wow. A suggestion I have for you is not to do your car audio or anything involving wires and current. That's the best advice you'll get. Sorry to tell you man but if you don't know the difference between ground and power...that is just bad. Good luck if you decide to do your own installs but PLEASE be more careful next time. People have gotten seriously hurt by doing things like what you did.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14043
yes there should be a wire coming off of your alt and it runs threw your fuse box to the + side of your battery its like a 18gauge wire, it should be covered by a rubber jacket of some sort

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 685
rob, shut up, i know what im doing, i know you never ground the +, i never touched the wires, which is why im still here, i was looking at pics, and i didn't see anything that showed where exactly on the alt to put the 0 gauge, there for i didn't know where to put it... and rob if your going to post something stupid like that, don't, because i really REALLY don't care and you just waist both of our times

so back to my question, there is supposed to be a wire that comes off the alt that goes to the bat+ and thats where i attatch it to then right?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3415
crazy, i had friend thaat went to mobile dynamics in phx, he told me a story of a guy working under the hood of a vehicle and set a wrench across the pos and neg of the battery and shot the wrench threw a wall. dangerous stuff man. be careful and slow down check then double check

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14045
do you have any pics of your alt...

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 14759
^^^For sure. I've heard of wrenches welding themselves to terminals and such. Those amps are scary stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7255
"rob, shut up, i know what im doing, i know you never ground the +, i never touched the wires, which is why im still here, i was looking at pics, and i didn't see anything that showed where exactly on the alt to put the 0 gauge, there for i didn't know where to put it... and rob if your going to post something stupid like that, don't, because i really REALLY don't care and you just waist both of our times"

Alright man, whatever. If you don't care then injure yourself, I was looking out for you by giving you some solid advice. You know what you're doing though. That's what so many mechanics that have died thought.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 686
if you weren't a d!ck about it, i wouldn't have said that, i make on mistake and i should never install car audio?? right because your perfect and have never made a mistake...

yea, i get so scared of working with the car bat because of all the current that thing can put out i was holding the wire with rubber coated needle noes plyers on the surround of the wire because i don't want to get hurt...

i didn't know there was a wire that came off the alt to the bat, i thought they were connected threw some other wire that was on a differen't part of the alt. i'll get pics tomorrow and show you guys where the alt is located and everything like that

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1082
this is the bolt u wanted...lol

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5159/picture015edit3cd.jpg

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 687
this is where my alt is

Upload

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1083
oic..u have the LExus SC300 rite? it looks like u gotta go under ur car then...

Silver Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 431
73 miles north and I can help you with it!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14049
u can see it here..that bolt with the wire coming from it...

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

They Love 2 Hate Me, Most Hated a... USA

Post Number: 1857
Can any1 post a link about this sundown rca problem. Has any1 even heard of this bcuz I haven't a didn't find anything I doubt kevin would blow smoke but I can't find anything about it.

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

They Love 2 Hate Me, Most Hated a... USA

Post Number: 1858
}Whoops wrong thread.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7257
It's pretty obvious which bolt or post you're supposed to hook your feed to from the battery. There's a wire that's already attached to it. You really shouldn't be doing your own install if you didn't know that or can't figure it out. What would you have done if that battery blew up in your face or your car started on fire?

Silver Member
Username: Prozack52

Cincinnati, 2-D615D4 Dia...

Post Number: 171
if im understanding this thread right and your question why not just lays down on the ground undo the bolt where the pos is the alt take your o gauage wire stick it on the alt tighten bolt back down jump it straight to pos on battery its very simple

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6690
Umm I don't really understand what's going on here, but we all f*ck things up sometimes.

Not to long ago I reversed the + and - when I was connecting an amp. Lucky for me the fuse blew and protected the amp.

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1092
"Not to long ago I reversed the + and - when I was connecting an amp. Lucky for me the fuse blew and protected the amp."

^ lol thats funny u said that M.S., i did the same thing hooking up my zx1000.1 and was wondering y the fuse kept blowin then i looked closely n realized i put ground in power n power in ground....i felt so stupid, cuz on my old amp it was setup that way, reverse sides...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 688
Rob, feel free at any time, not to respond to this thread, because your not giving advice and nore do i care what your advice is.

so i'll have to go under the car? thats what i thought when i was lookin at the naked engine but i wasn't sure, thanks to logan i have enough wire... he must known i was going to mess up:-) lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 7274
Actually, I have given advice but I shouldn't have because you don't care as you said. I've heard quite a few horror stories in my Auto classes about people who do things wrecklessly as yourself. Good luck man.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6698
Rob puts it more strongly but I have to agree if you don't know even the basics of how an electrical system works you shouldn't be working on it.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4744
not to step on your toes, but i don't see how you could confuse a bolt vs an output on the alt.. common sense says the alt charges the battery. it travels through a wire.. simply attach it there, it is the output

if you were unsure to begin with you should have drove yourself to an autozone and asked about your alt..

at least your asking now

... one of the few times i agree with rob :P

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13328
u gotta be careful man since as u should know ANY metal surface of a car is like a _ terminal so any + wires accidentally touches is like completing a circuit & u can get a jolt .....my bud was tightening a + batt pole & end of spanner accidentally touched on the batt clamp & he got a decent jolt - spanner was kinda warm when i felt it ...lol

connect the + wire to alt 1st then connect it to the batt terminal ...take ur time .....

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6703
Also you should never get any more than a few small sparks when making a connection. If you do, theres something wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4748
you should not get any sparks.. always connect the pos first.. then the negative..

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6706
It will sometimes spark a little. Electrical devices like amps have capacitors in them that will draw current when you first connect the wire completing the circuit.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 690
yea, i know about the + and - of electrical current... what i didn't know is that the wire had to be on a spesific spot on the alternator, simple mistake and you guys are acting like i know nothing...

i looked at my alt again, i wont have to run the wire under the car thankfully

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3655
"what i didn't know is that the wire had to be on a spesific spot on the alternator"

Lol, Maybe the ground wire to chassis. But not power.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7277
Are those all cars that No Limit installed systems in?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 14776
Shoot Marc. Now I'm all depressed.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2172
Try and read up on electricity. It may seem like obvious stuff but there's probably a fair bit that you don't know and should know if you're playing with large batteries.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3657
I almost burnt my house down last year. I took the Mains from the street and nailed them to the side of my house with large nails. Sparked like he77 and started charring the siding. I didnt know it had to go in the electrical panel.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6709
^^^^ LMAO

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 693
ok guys, geez... calm down its not like i do this for a living or plan on doing it... i realized what i did was wrong, and i found out how to fix it... no need for burnin me anymore:-)

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6034
dont have time to read the hole thread but their is nothing wrong with the alt. you simply connected the wire to the alt case/ground and tried to hook it up to 12v. their is specific place on the side of the alt for the 12v output their is already a wire their.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us