Should i get 2 kicker vr comp 15"s 2 coil

I was wondering if these subs are very good for bass..because i will probably buy them for 256.73 with s+h...please write back

these subs slamm! i have four vr 12's in the back of my king cab truck with 450 watts rms each. in the last 13 years i have owned several different lines of kicker and many other sub's. You will not find another sub on the market per dallor that will hit like a comp vr, i am upgrading my system, and i am going to build a wall and run 6 15's comp vr's. i will leave you with this, i bought my first pair of kickers in 92, and have been a big fan ever since, they really made me happy with being able to vent the 2003 vr's, that is the only thing i didnt like about kicker is they always had to be sealed but not anymore.. good luck man they will turn any frown upside down..........

sean g
o lol sry i didnt write back to this i just sent ur email back...but i havnt been on here in awhile because my computer got hit by lightning and fried the modem and a lot of things..but i'll be on now

sorry about that post, there are a couple of questions that have to be answered. will you take out your back seat or just use your hatch, assuming it is a hatchback? if you are serious about car audio as i am and treat it as a hobby i would build my inclosure. they seem to sound better. probably because you built it..lol measure out your hatch and measure the hight to the top of the trunk deck and see how much you have. i would get as much air space as you could, 1.8 is MIN, i would try for at least 2 and 2.5-3 for prime but 1.8 will do if that is what you have to play with, Dont forget to fill each chamber half full with Dacron, it will make the sube freform like they are in a little bigger inclosure. put them in seperate chambers sealed, i am sure you wont have enough space to vent them, mine are sealed and hit hard although i prefer a ported sub over sealed but i didnt have enough space for mine to vent so i sealed them with no complaint very deep and smooth. measure out to see what your max air space will be and dont forget to minuse the thickness of the wood. for internal air space, the woofer itself doesnt take up much space at all i can look through my things and get the exact but in your case i would build it as big as i could you dont have a lot of space to work with unless you will also use your back seats? then there are more options. as for the hatch use 3/4 MDF a sheet is 4x8 (be sure to measure how much wood you will need you might need more then one)box of 1.1/2 wood screws one or two bottles of liquid nail. and a yard or two of some carpet. take your time and have fun, it is very exciting to hear the rumble of your subs for the first time in a box you built. i still love it. i will get back with you about your amp questions and expalain a few things to give you a better picture of what you are looking at till next time...........see yah!

awsome...but lol i already made a box...i didnt put a peice of wood in between both subs to seperate them in the box...but the box is pretty big but i made one mistake...i cut two holes in the back of the box im nto sure y but i did...i think the box is too big anyway from the mag.. its like 17 inches from the front of box to back...and its 36 inch wide.. so i think im just gunna buy alittle more wood chop some off the back like a few inches..but not sure how much u might be able to help me with that...if you want i could send you pics of the box and everything.. just let me kno..please give me some tips on this box too because its awsome but i just want it to be the best it can!!! lol....but im gunna have these subs in my 89 camaro..didnt put them in yet..still working on things...what ever would make this the best set up i'll prolly do...thanks a lot for ur time...and thanks for not forgetten bout the head unit and amp im going to sound fx tommorow .. so it would be cool if u could get back to me early

Sean G
o yeah i did use mdf wood

whats up! mdf is the stuff, send me pics any time i would like to see them for better reference. your box width,36 depth.17 i assumed your box hight was 20 and you use 3/4 MDF, you would have 5.7 feet, 2.85 cubic feet apiece, you really need a shelf in the middle so they are in two seperate chambers. will that box fit in the back of your camarro with those dementions? i will send you some pics of cars i have like yours from shows i have been too and in, it will give you a better idea of what i am refering to and myabe give you some idea's. make sure you seal the box tight. and did you say you had 2ohm kickers? yes in your email you stated 2 ohm, for amps, there are a couple of things you need to always go by, never go by peak power(never) no matter what brand go by the RMS power they put out, that is
continues power, that is all you care about, your subs are 500 RMS, what that means is it takes 500 watts to make that woofer reach max excursion,(distance between the max up and down motion of the woffer). anything more than that is only punishing the woofer and anything less is underpowering the woofer and you are not gettign the full meal deal, but it will still sound good depending on power. i would try to match the RMS as close as possible. my 12's are 400rms and i run 450RMS it just worked out that way and they will shake the block, do you have any prefernce on brand? if you dont you will save a lot, you have 2 ohm DVC's (dual voice coil) so your wiring options are a 1 ohm load or a 4 ohm load, i would find an 2 channel amp that is stable at 1 ohm per channel,(more power for your buck) see what the rms power is at 1 ohm, look for something around 500 watts RMS at 1 ohm, or you can wire the subs together in perillel series and run a 2 ohms load, then you can find a mono block amp (1 channel) i can send you a few pictures of the amps i would use in a resonable price range if you wish. the most important thing is buying a amp that put out the RMS power you are looking for per channel and a couple of important things is, THD, which means total harmonic distortion. .05 and below is really good but use .05 as optimum for a bass amp, and look at the sensitivity on the amp ( all of this will be listed on the specifications of the amp)sensitivity which is measured 1w/1m, 1 watt per one meter, anything above 85 is good low 90's is good to shoot for, the sensitivity on a woofer determins how much a woofer will move with a set amount of power, 100 watts to this woofer chances are the other woofer brand will sound defferent maybe louder do to higher sensitivity or maybe not as loud do to a lower sensitivity, there are many factors just because your woofer has the highest sensitivity in the word doesnt mean it will sound the best just respond more to less power and with a good brand a high sensitivity is a plus, i can go on but only of you need me to. as for a head unit, there are many options, i am sure you want a cd player and probably one that plays mp3's, since you are handy with the computer you probably burn your share of music, i doo. .lol, but with my system you can tell from burned compared to the real thing so i only buy certain cd's and burn the rest. i run pioneer i have a MP7400 head unit and a DEQ 9200 EQ i love the eq and the deck is nice to but the eq, very nice, eclipse is nice there are a lot of nice brands, it depends on how much you want to spend and what you are looking for.(options)my eq does most the work so for my deck i just was looking for a cd player that would play mp3 and didnt put out to much power, see if you are going to run amps you dont want your deck putting out all this power to your amps. that is what your amp is for and you will just be putting more distortion into your amp and through your system, i had the first digital processor by pioneer way back and it put out so little power you could hook it up to a speaker and turn it all the way up and you would have to put your ear right up to the speaker and you could barrily hear anything, but when hooked up to my amps it was crystal clear. so dont go after a deck with a lot of power if you are planning on running amps, unless you are running your speakers directly off your deck you should want little wattage output as possible. i like eclipse, pioneer, alpin is nice stuff but i dont like there style but you might, but they are nice in the quality department, kenwood, denon, sony (not explode) there are lots of nice brands, look for the most options you want for the best price, surf the net and write down all your info and determin what is the best buy, you will end up with what you want and not feel like you got ripped off in the process.lol send me some pics i will dig out some comarro's with nice systems. i will answer any questions you have feel free to ask, i enjoy talking cars and systems. i was like you in my room when i was 16 i had two mejecstic 800's amps whitch put out about 200x2 each of RMS, but that is all i could afford, subs were resonable and electronics were a ripp off they have come down to earth with prices, and 4x 15inch earthquaks and didnt even have a car.LOL (atleast you have one) but my room rocked. i had the amps powered with a 12 volt battery charger.LOL my mom thought i was absolutly crazy thinking of putting that in my car, parents just dont understand.lol i have two small sons and i am trying.lol take it easy and look forward to hearing from you...........

Damn thanks for writing a lot and helping me...i mostly burn cd's but if i have to for better quality i will buy the cd....but i will send you the pics when i get to my house im over a friends rght now...but im not lookin to spend a fortune..because some money is going towards my car..i have a grand but not looking to spend all on audio..the head unit has to look nice..i heard alpine is good...what ever works for a good price..150-200$ we'll talk about if its alitle more or something and i have no preference of brands..but im sure you kno whats good as you suggested...and you had the wiring wrong...i have 2 ohm subs a peice..
are you sure their wireing is that..because i went here to find out and i wired at 2 ohm.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/index.asp...

im probably wrong but if soo maybe you could show a diagram on how it should be wired...but i wired it hwo it should be at 2 ohm on that site..not sayin its right but thats hwo i have it now...and i'l send you those pics..when i get home if already told you..id like to kno what amp i should get..but im not sure exactley my box height but its nt 20..i'll look at that when i get home too...but i'll talk later.. thanks for the help man!! tonz

hey are u there?

joey g
yes i am whats up!

joey g
you must live on the east coast? or i missed you by a mile!LOL i didnt look at the time?

Sean G
yeah i live in delaware..did you get my email?

joey
yes i did, good job it looks well built. i have been busy so i havent got to my computer. you can run them in the same box, Kicker reccomends you have a shelf but they will work to some degree. do you have single voice coil subs? when i get a chance in the next couple days i will send you some good decks in your price range and amps i have to find them. i am reinstalling my system this weekend, i am going to build a wall and vent my four 12's i will put the subs on the bottom right about the vent and my amps about 3/4 up the wall, i will show you picturs of it all but i wont be done for two weeks but i will down load all the pictures at that time, all my amps butt together and in all they are 53 inches long and 10.5 inches wide,(looks like one big amp)do you go to car audio shows.i live in Olympia, WA, we have some nice car audio shows out here and seattle is about 1 hour north and portland is about the same south they have some big shows and east of the mountains in spokan and yakima, yakima has a real lice lowrider car show with audio compititions its a all in one very cool. but seattle thats were you go to compete in spl, seattle has some very big car audio shows. i am sure you have your share out there.

sean G
thier dual coil...2 on each side of sub....but do you think i should cut a half an inch or so off my box? id do that when i go to put the divider in and cut a new back out to put on, that doesnt have cut holes in it...id liek to kno how u found out how much cubic foot my box had...btu im still lookin at amps..im thinken...rockford fosgate? ..and arent my subs wiring options... 0.5 ohm 2 ohm or 8 ohm...just maken sure ..because i kno i have 2 ohm subs.. so i kno what amp to get..and i'll do the math if you want so i kno how much exactley to cut off... btu i dont kno how to find otu the cubic ft..well thanks a lot for ur time...there isnt any shows liek that around here that i kno of.. mostly car shows and dirt tracks.. and muddin stuff... audio around here is getting bigger tho..to vent my subs i could find out an idea.. to like get air in the trunk..unless u have other ideas u have seen setups in camaro's.. well thanks a lot for ur time i need to kno what amp soon.....

joey
whats up! there is a lot of dirt and mud out here too, its all good, i will get on the net right now and send you some stuff, i have your email hope its cool, as for your subs, dual 2 ohm, options, 1 ohm and 4 ohm, i will explain, (1 ohm) if you ran one speaker wire to the sub the positive to the pos and the negitive to the neg, and then from there run a wire from that pos to the pos on the other side and same with the neg, so you have one wire going from one vioce coil and then bouncing over to the other, that is 1 ohm, you are cutting the 2 ohm in half, i run 4 ohm DVC'S i run one wire to the sub and then a small wire from that pos,neg to the pos neg on the other side and i cut it to a 2 ohm load. you have two ohm so you would be half mine, if you want to run it at 4 ohm you would run one wire connecting the positive to one voice coil and the negitive to the other voice coil and then run a small single wire from the negitive of the first voice coil to the positive of the second, now you are running it as one and 2+2=4, if you ran both subs parallel/series you could get a 8 ohm load you dont want that, when you cut the ohms in half the power of your amp doubles every time you drop the ohms, this might seem confusing at first or it might be my wording. i can go over it as much as you want, my opinion to you, get the book ohms law, it breaks it down, look on the net for free i will search also for you. when you get it you will be like ohhh! i see,LOL i did.lol if you have the money buy new wood and start over if not take the box all the way apart silacone and all and measure and cut the shelf and put it together and get some liquid nail and seal it with that, if you would of used that you probably wouldnt be able to take it apart even if you took the screws out, it seals and holds it together and it is cheap 2 bucks a tube, you would need just one for that. fosgate are real nice have you looked into MTX there thunder series class D amps are very nice i will send you some fosgate and mtx and some others hifonics and sound stream. we will get the best one for power and price of the high end amps, i am thinking on saturday on purchasing my 6 15,s and another amp instead of reinstalling my 4 12's i think i will sell them and run the 15's i will send pictures regardless but i keep dreaming of those 15's. i dont understand when you said you had an idea about venting them and air in the trunk? (please explain) as far as the vent you just want to make sure you have at least 3 inches of clear space in front of the vent so i can breath freely. i will get on the net and send you some stuff i need to look up some stuff for my system. take it easy!

joey
i didnt have time to send you to much i have to leave i will send you some more i have been busy lately. i wil get back with you soon.

Sean G
forget the vent thing i was alittle off track..i was just thinken if the subs had no room to vent but i'll see...i was just on ebay looking at the kicker 600. it puts out 1200 watt

Sean G
or maybe thats wrong.but i want to atleast put 600 or 700 watts to each sub if ever wanted

joey
kicker also make some nice amps, if you looked on that attatchment i sent you i believe you will run 1ohm or 4 ohm that is your option per woofer, now if you want to wire them both together you options are now .5 (half)ohm, or 2 ohm, so 1-4 ohm single or .5-2 double (wired together) i will send you some amps for $500 and under, you should look for the best quality amp you can find that puts out 500 rms and is at the price you are willing to spend,and if you find something that fits the bill with more power for a good price, is a plus, feeding them there rated rms power is important for optimum proformence and 500 watts each is a lot of power.

Sean g
yeah im wireing them together..which is at 2 ohm.. my options were .5 ohm, 2 ohm, or 8 ohm....i went to the rockford fosgate site that showed me my wreing options...but as far as my amp...someoen suggested the coustic 800 watt amp... but im lookin for atleast something thats going to power these subs at 1000 watt with no problem...but still im lookin for a price around 250.00 300.00$$ i still need money for my car soo..

joey
ok! did you get the emails i sent you? i have been having trouble with my computer.. i would check mtx. what do you think about buying something used? i have seen earthquake PHD (shredder) for $300 a couple of times that is 2000 watts rms mono and many other deals. anyway you can also go that route or not. for brand new try lanzar, i have ran there vibe series and they put out some good power and are cheap. i will send you some more to look at.

SeanG
well just keep in mind i have the 2 ohm dual subs....and i need NEED!!! to choose an amp very soon .. my head hurt lol...i did get all of ur emails...i liked that jbl but not much specs on it so i dont kno much about it..or experience with jbl....i like knew stuff ...but i really want a true wattage amp...soo id like to find an amp very soon..i see a lot fo 1200 watts.. btu what should i go for!!lol thanks a lot for ur time .. write back

joey
ok i sent you two emails one with jbl's home page and one that has every audio company on the same page it is pretty cool, i made a short cut to it on my desk top and refer to it all the time. so have you gotten a deck yet? or are you still looking? that JBL will do your subs real good and is well priced

Sean G
what about the MA hk1997 1200.1 watt for 260.00

Http://audiowarehouse.com/web/mdl/HK1997/detail.asp

joey
i looked it up and that will work! good pick, with the bass boost at 50hz,(i like) rms 1000 watts at 2 ohms, (nice) the SNR is 90 (not bad) and the THD, is .05 (perfect) and you cant beat the price, it reminds me of MTX, the amp with the crome look good. give you some flash. one thing i didnt get is how many amps it draws from your batt, just wondering. how many amps is your alternator? just wondering.

Sean G
your talken about the ma right the hk1997? because i can actually get that for 230.00$ brand new...its a great deal lol i just hope it works good with my subs

joey
yes that is the one! if there spec's are tight it will work your kickers nice. if you can get it for that i would. it said it puts out 1000 watts RMS, at 2 ohms, with that get a 1 f, cap and you should be set, you going to need a cap with that, I will start my install this weekend and it will be done by next weekend, i will take pics.........

Sean G
what capacitor should i get? damn this just ads up lol and how much will this cost

joey
you can get one on ebay brandnew for about $65 dollars and that includs shipping, some are more but you are just paying for the brand name capacitors are what they are rated unlike amps you just need a 1,F cap, check out ebay....

Sean G
alright thanks i'll check it out

Sean G
i may not need one tho

joey
you can get buy without one if you want your lights to dimm every time the bass hits and your amp draw, and if you want to replace batterys every 3 months and alternators about the same. if you have like a 80-125 amp alternator you could get my with out one for a while but yours is stock i am sure. i would highly recomend one in your case with out having a built up charging system. but i have run with out them many times back in the day and i could hardly see when the bass hit because my lights would almost shut off!LOL but i was booming!LOL its up to you either way i would get one but it is not life or death.

Sean G
k well.. i got tired of the money stuff.. and i bought a rockford fosgate 1000 bd amp...for 320.00 off ebay bran new.. so i went with that @ 2 ohm .. thanks tonz for ur time u helped a lot ..i'll let u kno what i think about my set up when its all done.. next is a headunit..

joey
that is a nice amp, i have buddy who is runny two of those. very nice choice, do you already get it? i am starting my wall this weekend and by next weekend i will have all pics, from start to finish, can i send them to your email? i would like to hear what you think of your system and what deck you get. your on your way!

Sean g
lol yeah i am ...my amp should be in by next week ...and sure you can send whatever u want to me email id like to check things out. what im gunna do next in audio someday is like buy 5 15's that run at 200 rms...thatd be cool lol.. i just re did my box its really good now. and its sealed very air tight..i went to sound fx to get my terminal and carpet ..they have some sick stuff there..a whole wall of mtx 15s lol but i didnt stay long...well i gotta get goin...wrbk

sean g
hows the wall goin?

joey
i have everything i need to start, i had to leave for a family amergency out of state i am delayed a little but i will have it done in a week or so, i have some things i have to take care of. how is your system going got anything new, you get a deck yet?

Sean G
no not yet alls i need is a head unit im thinken bou waiten n getten the alpine 98013

seanG
so joey...do you have "aim" or "aol"

joey
i have yahoo messanger, if that is what you mean. i have my system installed and my camera is a dead, i am borrowing a friends i got it all together. sorry for the big break, i will get it this weekend and have pics of mine and my buddys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us