Why isnt my amp working???

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

They Love 2 Hate Me, Most Hated a... USA

Post Number: 1809
damn i wired everything up im pretty sure ive got everything wired up correctly the wiring harness had a blue wire that wasnt attached to anything tht said power on it so im pretty sure that was the remote wire so thts hooked up right i tried to see if the amp would work this morning and it wudnt turn on. i didnt have the ground attached to anything at first bcuz i jus wanted to see it worked but it didnt then i jus put it on an open bolt and still nothing there was a minor spark as expected but the power light on the amp still didnt come on.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19177
you sure the remote wire is seeing some voltage when you turn on your hu?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1811
no and i dnt know how to check either bcuz i dont have one of those meter things. cud i have messed it up by putting the ground wire on bolt in my car after the car was on and the power wire was in the amp? bcuz when i did tht it has a lil spark but nothing serious like didnt make any noise or anything. ima just say f uck it and wait til sunday this is the exact reason i dont install sh1t myself

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 381
first off without the ground hooked up it wouldnt turn on... second all cause the blue wire says power dont mean its for an amp it might be for a power attena look at your hu's book
third hahahahahah oopps sorry
and make a good ground even to test it and you should have your ground off your battery when hooking sh****t up
fourth it might be just cause you didnt have a good ground
fifth im sorry to laugh at you
sixth there might of been a power surge when you touched the ground to a grounding point blowinf a fuse or your amp

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7172
Uh oh. I hope nothing bad happened to your amp.

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 382
lol rob

Gold Member

Post Number: 1812
Well fuses can be replaced right? And what happens when u blow ur amp like how wud I kno if its blown?? I jus put the ground wire to a lil bolt u can see when I open the door I didn't screw it on or anything

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19180
dwight, wait til you meet up with ms and scott.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1600
What ever you did, It was deff. user error. You should do things right the first time. Why would you think that without the ground the amp would power on. lmao

Sorry for laughing but I just cant help it.

I though you were going to let M.S. and sean hook everything up?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1813
I am but ima be pissed if I blew my amp being impatient like always.... how do I tell if its blown is tht likely what happened??

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1024
the remote turn on wire is blue/white....did u hooked it to the solid blue one? and why would the amp turn on without the ground being ground first? bad idea to touch the ground on a bolt, could blow a fuse doin that....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19182
as long as you didn't touch the power and the ground, you should be fine. maybe.

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 383
like i said its possible he blew the amp or the solid wire is a power attena which might not have enough amps to turn on the amp... if you dont know what your doing why do it?

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1025
dwight make sure the ground is ground first.. then just connect the remote turn on wire to the blue/white wire on the back of ur HU....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1601
Before you do anything electrical to you car you should always dissconect the negitive battery terminal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1814
I am letting them do I'm just doing what I can ahead of time like sean told me too... plus I jus wanted 2 see if the amp worked @ all I haven't checked anything I bought yet 2 see if it works

So how do I tell if its blown?? I hope not I mean it was jus a tiny lil spark. I jus touch a bolt on my door to see if it would come on. Kev chill out man damn! I'm gettin stressed bcuz I really hope I didn't blow the amp if its a fuse I can jus got get a new one today.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 528
Make sure your ground is good. Do you have a DMM? if so check to see if you are getting 12 volts at the amp. Then if it still doesnt work, you could hook a wire directly from your remote on the amp to the ACC/Ignition fuse in the car. This will turn the amp on when the accesory's turn on ( verifying the amp isn't broke.

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1027
i doubt u blew ur amp over that...as long as u didnt touch power wire n ground wire together u should be good...n like i said b4 "connect the remote turn on wire to the blue/white wire on the back of ur HU...."

u have it hooked up to the solid blue one right? if u do switch it to the blue/white wire.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 529
Just touching it to a bolt might not give you a good ground connection. I'd hook the amp directly to the battery. + to + - to - and hook a remote wire up and touch it to the battery to turn the amp on.

This eliminates variables like bad ground, bad remote from radio, etc...

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 530
just to test if the amp turns on

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19187
i get sparks all the time. i love sparks. lol.

no but seriously, do what eddie just said. best way to test to see if the amp works or not.

i still say though, wait til M.S. or scott takes a look before you do anything else to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7174
Hook up your ground and power to the amp and then run a small piece of wire from the remote input to the power input to jump the power from the battery to the remote turn on to see if your amp works Dwight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1815
Everything n the back of the hu is wired up except 1 blue wire tht said power. So thts what I hooked it up 2. Ima jus leave it alone till sunday. Is there anything I can do 2 the amp to see if ots blown w/o hookin it up I'm really prayin I didn't blow it ima kill myself}

I'm n class now ill try later problem is I can't tell which wire is the remote.

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 384
yeah more than likely he didn't blow the amp..that solid wire might be for the power attena which might not have enough amps t turn on the amp or it might not be working.. but it is possible to blow the amp if he had the car running...

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8320
first of all from what i can tell in your descrption "a tiny spark" you didnt blow your amp...you must have had the stuff powered on before you connected the ground which was a bad idea...you always connect a ground securely before turning anything on...pull your fuse on your amp...(with everything turned off) and see if thats blown if it is pop a new one of the same size in

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 385
do what they said to do about hooking it up staright to the battery leave car off haveing it running can cause a power surge whene you touch the post's

Gold Member

Post Number: 1816
I turned the car on after the power and remote were n the amp. I went baack to see if it was on then I realized tht I forgot to hook up the ground. So I touched it to a bolt and it still didn't come on there was a tiny spark when I touched it but no noises smells or serious sparks all I'm worried about is knowing wether its blown.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 531
Also... Did you connect the Blue/White wire from the Radio's wire harness to the Blue/White wire on the Stock harness for the car? This is often done by mistake. The Blue/White from the radio harness hooks to your remote wire back to the amp. Nothing needs to be connected to the Blue/White on the stock harness.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1817
I turned the car on after the power and remote were n the amp. I went baack to see if it was on then I realized tht I forgot to hook up the ground. So I touched it to a bolt and it still didn't come on there was a tiny spark when I touched it but no noises smells or serious sparks all I'm worried about is knowing wether its blown. How can I tell if the fuse is blown?

And I'm not doing tht I've did enuf damage for 1 day. What r symptoms of a blown amp so I can have piece of mind tht its not blown

Gold Member

Post Number: 8321
well check your fuse on the amp like I said and if its not blown then your fine...disconnect all the dangerous stuff you hooked up and wait for us...electrical tape up any wires that are bare to be on the safe side...your only three days away from us installing it...id hate to see you blow something up before then

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 532
open the top and see if any components look burnt/ disconnected.

Look at the fuse if the metal isn't broke/burnt its fine.

Did you connect the Blue/White wire from both harnesses together? If you did disconnect them and connect the raido harness one to the remote wire on the amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1818
I think my prollem os the remote wire. I jus want to have piece of mind its not blown

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19190
eddy you do not want to tell dwight to open the amp and see the inside. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1819
Ill check the fuses and insides when I get home. I'm not going to hook anything else up 2day. Thanx tho eddy. So basically if nothing inside or on the fuses is burnt or broken then the amp is fine. R u sure?}

Gold Member

Post Number: 1602
LOL. "OMG what is this hot glue looking stuff!, I think my amp is melting!"

jp dweight ;)

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 533
That is the major sign of a blown amp. Its possible to not tell by looking so i wouldn't open the amp, like chad said.

I would look at the Blue/White wire. It should be hooked to the amp not the Blue/White on the Factory harness.
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 8322
"I think my prollem is the remote wire."

well maybe... but because you didnt have the ground hooked up first when you did this im not sure...there are two wires that look similar to each other ones the dimmer switch or power antenna (I forget which) and ones the remote wire

check the fuse the way I said and if its not blown your fine and even if it is your probably still fine...but pop a new fuse of the same rating in if its blown

Gold Member

Post Number: 1603
The SAZ is real easy to open. Just turn it upside down and theres 4 screws and then the metal cover will pop right off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8323
"Ill check the fuses and insides when I get home."

DONT open that amp up youll probably void your warranty...well be able to tell whats up when you get here without opening it up...just check the fuse the way I said

Gold Member

Post Number: 1604
The dimmer switch is the orange wire usually. some have tags that are marked "ILL" for illumination.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1820
Ill post pics of the onsides u guys can tell me. Lol

I'm not a reatrd jus a noob @ installing.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 534
The dimmer switch is usually Orange/White. The power antenna is usually Solid Blue.

Most cases its like shown above that some people see 2 harnesses with Blue/White wires so they connect them. And since they both are labeled "Remote Wire" they think this is correct. Then wireing kits give you a Solid Blue wire for the remote, (which matches the Solid Blue of the power antenna) and they hook these 2 up.

Hook the ground to something solid, like a bolt to the frame of the vehicle. Mack sure the bolt goes into metal and is cleaned off around the contact area. Then check the fuses... inline fuse by battery and on the amp. Then make sure the remote wire is hooked up like the pic i posted ^^.

Then if it still doesn't work wait till you see sean and M.S. Unless you know what your doing you shouldn't open up an amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1821
}Ok I won't open it up. Actually I think I did hook it up to the wrong remote bcuz there was a bunch tht were hooked and 1 jus hanging loose like in the picture above. And I hooked it up to the one jus hanging out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8324
"The dimmer switch is the orange wire usually. some have tags that are marked "ILL" for illumination."

yeah hes right... so power antenna is what i meant

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 535
Even if you open it and you don't break someting in the process it usually voids warrenty. the last thing i would do is open the amp.

im willing to bet it is the remote wire hooked to the power antenna wire on the harness. You said that you hooked it to a Solid Blue wire ( power ant.) thats where i'd start

Gold Member

Post Number: 8325
The dimmer switch is usually Orange/White. The power antenna is usually Solid Blue.

Most cases its like shown above that some people see 2 harnesses with Blue/White wires so they connect them. And since they both are labeled "Remote Wire" they think this is correct. Then wireing kits give you a Solid Blue wire for the remote, (which matches the Solid Blue of the power antenna) and they hook these 2 up.

Hook the ground to something solid, like a bolt to the frame of the vehicle. Mack sure the bolt goes into metal and is cleaned off around the contact area. Then check the fuses... inline fuse by battery and on the amp. Then make sure the remote wire is hooked up like the pic i posted ^^.

Then if it still doesn't work wait till you see sean and M.S."

I agree... I think thats what happened and hes right also check the fuse under the hood after you make sure the fuse at the amp is not blown and if it is replace it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1822
I'm still kinda clueless on which wire is the remote bcuz all the wires are connected up except tht 1 tht I already used. So which 1 should I use if they are all connected do I have to un connect the 2 tht are connected and add the other 1?? Like I jus want to make sure the amp isn't blown thts it.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 536
Anyone else like that diagram. IDK why but it looks semi-professional for some reason. I keep looking back at it thinking it should be in a user manual somewhere.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 537
if there is a Blue wire with a white line down the side of it connected. disconnect it, and hook the remote from the amp to the raido harness side of the wire like in my pic.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 538
Yours will probalbly look like this...
Upload

Make it look like this...
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1823
Ok eddy then after I disconnect it should I recconent the remote wire thts going to the amp and the 2 tht were orginally connected all back together to make 3 wires connected? Are u understanding what I'm saying?

What should I be looking for in the fuse under the hood?

It is very unique it has screws inside the fuse tht I don't kno what they do all other duses I've had were glass one this is my first 300A inline fuse its the one tht comes with kicker pkd1.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 539
nothing should be connected to the vehilce harness's Blue/White wire. And if you dont have a power antenna nothing should be connected to the radio harness's Solid Blue wire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7177
Dwight, just do what I said. Forget about hooking it to the HU for now. Run your ground and then your power wire to the amplifier. From your power input on the amp run a small wire to the remote input, this will turn the amplifier on if it still works.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 540
somewhere on the fuse you should see an opening in the middle with metal going acrossed it. If it isn't broken (the metal is solid with no breaks) then it is fine. You shouldn't have to take it out to see this. It should be pretty clear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1824
Ok I think I got it. So after I disconnect leave the one thts not coming out of the hu dicconected and jus leave the one THAT IS coming out of the hu connected to the amps remote got ya.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5595
or wire it to a fuse (the remote wire) which is always the easiest thing to do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1825
Eddy the amp has 3 fuses I think maybe its 4 can't remeber

I can't understand what ur trying to tell me 2 do rob. I'm having a hard time comprehending this.}

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 541
yes that is correct...

here is where you check your inline fuse
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7180
That's because other people are confusing you and you're confusing your self. You can make sure your amp WORKS by using 3 WIRES. The amp nees a REMOTE,POWER and GROUND to turn on. So...install your ground wire and when you're installing your POWER wire run a tiny 18awg wire from the POWER input to the REMOTE INPUT. That should get your amp to turn on as long as none of the fuses are blown. If it doesn't turn on and your power wire is getting power(Use a DMM to test this) your amp is probably blown assuming you have a good GROUND. Hope that clears up the confusion.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 542
Pull the 3 ( or 4 ) fuses out of the amp and check them as follows.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1826
Ok rob so I hook up the ground and power and take a small wire and put one end in the same terminal tht power goes in and the other end in the remote terminal?

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 543
Here is a diagram of what me and rob said about hooking the amp up to test it, without using the headunit.

Upload

Red is power wire from battery
Black is ground from amp to vehicle chassie
Blue is a small wire connecting the remote terminal of the amp to the power terminal which will turn it on if it works.

car doesn't need to be on for it to work.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 545
Yes that is correct.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1827
Iight thanx u guys have been a big help. Will let u kno what's happens

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 546
K. Hope it all works out for you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5599
i wouldnt do what eddy just recommended.
i did it once and the signal wire got insanely hott and started to burn the wire.....

if you want to catch you car on fire do it..but if not dont.....
PERSONAL EXPIERENCE!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7186
LOL.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6659
What Eddie just showed you is fine. That is how everyone does it, I have many times. Almost no current gets drawn through that wire.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19196
that is how we did it in my friend's car. lol. we were too lazy to run a remote cable from the hu to the back. it was only for a 200wrms amp so he didn't mind staying on. we will get to it soon though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5603
"What Eddie just showed you is fine. That is how everyone does it, I have many times. Almost no current gets drawn through that wire."

"that is how we did it in my friend's car. lol. we were too lazy to run a remote cable from the hu to the back. it was only for a 200wrms amp so he didn't mind staying on. we will get to it soon though."

i did it with my kicker kx2500...and it was on fire..i guess since every one is doing it, it makes it right...thank god for your mentallity..makes the world much safer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19198
lol whats your problem man?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1828
Well rob r u trying 2 mess my car ur or something? Why wud u tell me 2 do it?

I'm assuming since u put lol u knew tht wud happen

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 547
no

We aren't telling him to to run his amp like this, just check to see if it turns on. The remote connect won't draw enough current to burn up a wire let alone at idle (amp not recieveing a signal)

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 2222
jw but what kinda car do you have?

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 548
I is drawing the same amount of power from your head unit connection as directly from the battery. The only difference is the head unit tells it when to turn on and off. It is the same as wireing the remote wire directly to the battery with a switch on the wire. ( which acts as the head unit turning it on and off) i have done this before due to it acting as a quick kill switch (having control over the amp turn on)there is no harm in doing this.

Driving- Are you sure your wire wasn't touching the ground and power when you burned it up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5604
"Driving- Are you sure your wire wasn't touching the ground and power when you burned it up."

postive man...although it was a 2500 watt amp you have to keep that in mind..so im guessing for lower wattage amps its str8t....
and if its just to check if the amp turns on. i guess theres no problem.

"lol whats your problem man?"

i dont have a problem?????
i was giving my input am i not allowed to do that anymore platinum?

"Well rob r u trying 2 mess my car ur or something? Why wud u tell me 2 do it?

I'm assuming since u put lol u knew tht wud happen"

dont assume that....what amp do you have?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7187
"Well rob r u trying 2 mess my car ur or something? Why wud u tell me 2 do it?

I'm assuming since u put lol u knew tht wud happen"

I would never do something stupid like that Dwight. Don't listen to Driving, he has no clue what he's talking about. I guarantee you his Kicker amp was on fire because he was shorting out his ground and power wires. I've installed systems and used this method to test many times.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2223
when i ordered my first amp i was having troubles with it and customer support told me to put a wire from the rem to the power wire jsut to see if the amp turned on. ive also done it many times with out problems

Gold Member

Post Number: 5607
"I would never do something stupid like that Dwight. Don't listen to Driving, he has no clue what he's talking about. I guarantee you his Kicker amp was on fire because he was shorting out his ground and power wires. I've installed systems and used this method to test many times."

why dont you read my post ROB.....
i do know what i was talking about.. and know the ground and power werent touching...or else my fuse on my power wire wouldve blown...or isnt that what happens when you short an amp =-o GO FIGURE....

i ran the remote to the power wire...the power wire was 0 guage drawing 250 amps of current and the remote wire was 21 gauge....of course the wire is going to melt...no there wasnt an ACTUAL FIRE..nor did i ever say my kicker amp was on fire :-\
i did know he was just testing the amp i thought he was going to run it like that daily.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 7191
"i ran the remote to the power wire...the power wire was 0 guage drawing 250 amps of current and the remote wire was 21 gauge....of course the wire is going to melt...no there wasnt an ACTUAL FIRE..nor did i ever say my kicker amp was on fire :-\
i did know he was just testing the amp i thought he was going to run it like that daily....."

Oh really David?

"i did it with my kicker kx2500...and it was on fire..i guess since every one is doing it, it makes it right...thank god for your mentallity..makes the world much safer."

"And it was on fire..." Nope, you didn't say it haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7192
By the way electricity is lazy and takes the path with the least resistance.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 549
so if i hook up a 21 gauge wire to your positive battery terminal it will start on fire?

This is a false statement. First of all just because your amp is capable of drawing 250amps of current doesnt mean it always is.
Second just because 2 wires are hooked to the same node doesn't mean they are drawing the same ammout of current. If both ends of the wire were connect to corelating nodes this would be true(but they aren't) what is happening is the sum of the current being drawn by the amp and remote are transfered through the power wire and split at the positive terminal of the amp. at this point the amp draws the current it needs and the remote draws the current it needs. You battery doest just send out 250amps randomly to your amp. you amp is ( could be at some point in time not always) demands 250amps to run correctly.

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1031
Hook up the blue/white wire from the back of the HU to the blue remote wire......watch....thats ur problem...ppl make common mistakes of just hookin up blue remote wire to blue remote wire.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 5611
lol well maybe i did say it..but by on fire i meant hott. oh well man...no use argueing with you your always right...

thanks for correcting me rob what would i ever do without you showing me the right path....i would be pathless without you my dear friend.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7193
State prop, we're trying to get around doing that lol just to see if the amp turns on. We're trouble shooting don't the easiest fastest way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7194
"lol well maybe i did say it..but by on fire i meant hott. oh well man...no use argueing with you your always right...

thanks for correcting me rob what would i ever do without you showing me the right path....i would be pathless without you my dear friend."

You're welcome, without me you'd probably still be wondering why you never had any voltage drop when you were playing at full blast with music when you had your voltmeter hooked up to your front batt which was disconnected from your rear so your amp was being fed by only the battery in the rear with no charging system hooked up period, you'd still be trying to figure out what the problem was

Gold Member

Post Number: 5612
"You're welcome, without me you'd probably still be wondering why you never had any voltage drop when you were playing at full blast with music when you had your voltmeter hooked up to your front batt which was disconnected from your rear so your amp was being fed by only the battery in the rear with no charging system hooked up period, you'd still be trying to figure out what the problem was"

lol doesnt everyone make that mistake????
i just thought my system had reached its full potential..it turned into a super sayien DD

Gold Member

Post Number: 1830
i just tried tht and it wudnt turn on???? i think i have a good ground but im not sure. even if i had a bad ground it would still turn on right???? man damn i really hope id dint blow it

Gold Member

Post Number: 7196
Damn, you checked the fuses correct? Do you have a test light or multimeter? Also, if you have a bad ground your amp might not turn on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2226
so you did +amp to +batt and -amp to -batt and rem on amp to +amp

and you checked the fuses right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1831
i didnt cherck the fuses i hookup up the ground wire tht i have running from my battery to the trunk to the power on the amp. i hooked the ground on a bolt in my trunk and i put the remote wire in and ran it to the power wire and nothing no blue lights no nothing if i blew my amp off tht weak azz sh1t ima be pissed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7199
Eddy, I think you missed the point there lol. He ran his sub for DAYS at high levels hooked to a battery that wasn't being charged =/ Kinetiks are monsters!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7200
Dwight, you have to check the fuses lol. That's important.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1832
is there a special tool u need to take the fuses out bcuZ they are hard as hell to get out and i dont want to break anything else

Gold Member

Post Number: 2227
everytime i connect the ground on my amp it does that and i have no problems.

its hooked up like the picutre eddie poted above

also make sure the ground is bare metal there cant be any paint. try grounding it out to the battery that way your sure to have a good ground.

dont even worry about the rem wire for now just disconnect it only use a wire going from the amps power wire to the rem just to test it

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 552
lol rob, i read that post really fast cause im at work. I thought it said , "doesn't even make sense" lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1833
what do u mean grounding it out to the battery... and my car is really lacking good grounding spots.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1834
i cant get these damn fuses out without breaking something

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19199
its all good.

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 553
Either run wire from teh ground on the amp to the negative battery terminal, if you have small runs of wire (even 4 gauge) you could hook it up closer to the battery and test it out by the battery. Or find a better ground... might have to search a little. or even drill a hole and make a new ground. I prefer to do this cause i can use a brand new bolt and make sure its a perfect ground.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1835
how do i get these fuses out damnit!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1836
nevermind i got them

Gold Member

Post Number: 8330
Chad i think driving jumped the gun and didnt realize what you were saying with the remote wire...if thats what your refering to

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 554
try needle nose pliers

Gold Member

Post Number: 7206
Dwight you can use needle nose pliers carefully and yea...sometimes they're tough to get out but they also sell small plastic pliers at the auto parts stores to take them out safely.

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1033
"jw but what kinda car do you have?"

he has an 05 camry....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1837
i have no blown fuses as far as i can see no burnt marks no breaks in the metal either??? ahhh... so ur saying i touch the ground on the amp to the negative battery terminal??? sounds dangerous? should i do this before or after the power wire is inserted into the amp?

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 555
good thing to have if your gonna play with car audio products (or cars electrical in general)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1838
so does the fuses being fine rule out the chance that my amp is blown??? maybe kevin sent me a dud?

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 556
connect with wire not touch lol omg

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1035
"ground on the amp to the negative battery terminal??? sounds dangerous? should i do this before or after the power wire is inserted into the amp?"

lol not really the negative battery terminal is just like a ground too.....after the power wire is inserted....how else would the amp work if the power wire isnt in it???

Gold Member

Post Number: 8331
its very good that the fuses arent blown...you checked the one under the hood also right

Gold Member

Post Number: 7207
"so does the fuses being fine rule out the chance that my amp is blown??? maybe kevin sent me a dud?"

Lol, I don't think he sent you a dud but he may be able to get you a replacement amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8332
"connect with wire not touch lol omg"

I was going to tell him the same...connect not touch

Gold Member

Post Number: 2228
do it like this

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1839
yea the metal strip is fine thewre is something in there tht looks kinda wierd but its not on the metal stip and im not sure if it was there b4 all of this so i wudnt kno

and state well last time i had the power hooked up and touched the ground u guys saiiid nooo dont do tht u might have blown ur amp tht is what i did in the first place so what this makes no sense.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1840
ok so explain this when i hooked it up the first time i had the power in and then touch a bolt for the ground and u guys said tht was a bad idea so what is the difference now with me hooking the postive up and then hooking up the ground to the negative terminaL??? isnt tht the exact same thing or does the car have to be on for this to even work?

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 557
snarl, nice re-use of my diagram :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19202
hahaha you didn't copyright it eddy so its anyone's game. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8333
"and state well last time i had the power hooked up and touched the ground u guys saiiid nooo dont do tht u might have blown ur amp tht is what i did in the first place so what this makes no sense."

thats the whole point you didnt have it secured down before you turned it on...(from what I understood your post to say)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1841
so hook the power up first them attach it to the negative batt terminal then turn the car on?

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 558
lol chad

hook the ground up then the power wire and small peice for remote with into the pos termianl of the amp. then lastly hook the small remote wire up to the remote terminal on the amp this should eliminate sparks.

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1037
^^ bingo...n no matter what ur still goin to get a lil spark....there fun yet scary. lol o yea dont forget about the remote wire hookin into the power wire on ur amp..

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1636
Well some bolt you touch thats exposed when the door is open and a negative terminal on a battery are two different stories.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1842
Upload

thank you guys you have been very helpful and patient with my noobness it is greatly appreciated!!! so with the blue light on that means my amp is fine and i have nothing to worr bout???

if so ill leave all this stuff alone and wait til sunday i learned my lesson. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 8335
yup your fine...you just dont have the right wire hooked up at the headunit for your remote

Gold Member

Post Number: 1843
and i have a bad ground u guys are going to have a hell of a time finding a good ground back there. not to mention i dont have all the tools neccasary to unscrew half the bolts in akward positions so idk but i cant wait til sunday as u can tell. today was a learning experience im happy lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8338
I can see it was a learning experience...and im glad you tried but you have to be carefull when hooking things up...as far as tools my bro has plenty and im sure the ground wont be a problem to find a spot

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6660
Just leave the damn stuff alone until sunday........ I could have diagnoised that problem in 30 seconds with my meter

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1571
Wow that thread was annoying as crap to read... lol

Glad you're learning about it all tho dwight. Thats good.

Also im glad ur amp is working and u get the blue light. :]

Nice amp u got there too. Gl on Sunday u guys

Gold Member

Post Number: 7215
Hahaha, it's just funny that it took over a hundred posts to solve Dwight's problem.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19210
"Just leave the damn stuff alone until sunday........ I could have diagnoised that problem in 30 seconds with my meter"

i kept telling him that MS but he refuses to listen to me. lol.

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1052
"Hahaha, it's just funny that it took over a hundred posts to solve Dwight's problem."

^^^ lmao funny but true.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us