Who is computer smart? Looking for new laptop...

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1642
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg like I did with this POS. I seen a Gateway MT6730 for like $648 at wally-world. I want something that will play her little CPU games decent and have good memory as well. I just play on the internet, no major games. I got the Xbox for that. Let me know guys.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3561
these ones are nice

http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://oldcomputers.net/o sborne.html

http://www.laptopworldwide.com/

http://www.thocp.net/hardware/ibm_5140.htm

http://www.geniusbabies.com/my-first-laptop-computer.html

But for real. I got a HP notebook. Works fine. think it was like 600 or so.

Gold Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1643
LOL! Fruitcake, you know what I want. I got 2 HP desktops and this $1500 HP laptop and I will not own another HP for as long as I live. Looking at Gateway or Toshiba. Only problem is I have heard over-heating issues with Toshibas. So right now I am lost. I have never heard of any issues with Gateways though.

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 499
if you want a 12" apple powerbook g4 i could give you a good price. i was gonna post it up on ebay tonight to sell it and some other computers. i also have a 17" powerbook g4 and a 15" titanium powerbook g4.... and some desktop macs..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6615
As far as laptops go you can't beat a Toshiba...... but HPs are nice also.

Gold Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1644
Never had any Apple products. How are they? I know you can't run Microsoft products, but how does it act with internet and CPU games?

Kevin

PS: With Toshiba, has anyone on here had over-heating issues?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8257
actually I was told toshiba laptops have issues with drivers sometimes

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4199
I personally like Dell XPS systems but you will pay an arm/leg. Stay away from anything that is sold mainstream like at BB or CC, they can be quite out dated by the time you get them. I bought a $450 laptop from Dell for my son and it beat my wifes $1200 gateway from Bb by a long shot... HP's had issued with CPU's overheating maybe check e-bay for a good used lotta crackheads out there, lOl. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6618
Whatever you do just don't get a Dell........ they are the most problematic by far.

(How I know that, I work for my schools CTM department where they repair computers)

Silver Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 893
lol yea dnt get a dell y do u think schools gets a hole sh!t load of dells...haha

Gold Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1646
LOL!! Naw, no crack head hand-me-downs haha. I can't stand Dell, but since they bought out Alienware, the XPS systems are same CPU's. I would like to grab one of those as well, but they aren't cheap. $1699 for the cheapest I think. Oh well, I may have to stop being cheap huh?

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 781
i have an hp pavilion dv6000

its a decent laptop, had to send it back for some wireless issue last year and the same problem has started happening again.

overall good laptop tho, if i had to get another one id prol get another hp

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 782
eh maybe not lol

Silver Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 503
Honestly every mac i have ever had has never treated me bad. you should see if theres a local apple store and go find out for yourself how much you like them.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 14482
I'm on my second HP laptop and loved both. I never drug them through hell and back but they held up nice for me.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2281
look for an Acer in your price range

tigerdirect.com
newegg.com

either site will have what you need

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 2209
you should get a macbook

i have one of the old titanium powerbook g4 and its almost 5 years old and still going strong

my moms got a macbook pro it works great very nice computer

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3514
Toshiba is the way to go on craptops.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1492
Gateway and Toshiba is defiantly the way to go. They are both rated the most reliable pcs in the market right now.

www.newegg.com

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 14499
Really??????

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2283
funny Nick, our Gateway is almost a year old and the HD already sh!t :P

i used to be all for them but every single one we've had has encountered some type of crippling problem

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1494
"funny Nick, our Gateway is almost a year old and the HD already sh!t :P

i used to be all for them but every single one we've had has encountered some type of crippling problem"

Sounds like a user failure.
I've ordered many of their laptops for customers and have not had a single problem yet. They are rated #1 by pc mag and a few other trusted sites also.

Silver Member
Username: Tips

Post Number: 243
Toshiba > Sony > Dell > HP/Compaq = Gateway

That's just my opinion though. The reason you'll see a lot of Dells in your school repair is cause most students and schools use them... obviously you'll see more of them. I've dropped my Dell from high places many times, and it still runs perfectly. I even dropped a water balloon on it. It ran perfectly the next morning. Sony is overpriced. Toshiba is the best all round. Never heard good things about Gateway. And Hp/Compaq are worthless.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1496
Gateway's laptops are Toshiba level. I've worked with just about all of them. The quality is the same between the two.

I'm pretty sure Brad will agree. Hes a computer savvy also.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6013
iv got a dell vostro 1500 and love it works great and no problems

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1497
I've never seen many bad things with a Dell laptop. But when it comes to their desktops, each part is made cheaply as possible. That's why you see allot of their desktops needing to be worked on.

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2260
I had a dell for 1.5 years and I had nothing but problems. I just bought a new Gateway and really like it from all I have seen thus far. JMO

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1560
I'm also gunna be buying a laptop in the next couple of months. Right now im set on a gateway t1625(it was 600 at BB the other day and now it went back up to 750) or a toshiba that ive been looking at. im not sure yet.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1498
Both will be a great choice steve. You really cannot go wrong with either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1561
Yea. This week im gunna go to BB and look at each one. both of them were 600 and now their 750

gateway:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8654002&type=product&id=1195600207 048

toshiba:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8658874&type=product&id=1196470144 904

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1502
Just wait, they will go down again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1562
I hope so...

I have time to wait though. I just need to wait for the federal tax check to come and then save another 100 and I'll have enough.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 425
i have a toshiba that i bought for like $500 and it does everything i need for school and i bought it 3 years ago. NEVER had a problem with over-heating. my dad teaches computer science at the community college here and only buys toshiba. dont get a dell

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge,, NJ USA !

Post Number: 990
at circuit city whereijust got mine theresa hp 17 inch and 15 inch laptoip on sale for 729.00 . i just bought the 17 inch, it comes witha n-vida geforce at like 700 somethin mb graphics processing power, 2 gigs of ddr ram, 160 gig hd, cd /dvd burner with light scribe, windows vista, and built in web cam. i think it's awsome and it can run even the more advance games like battlefied 2 on just what you get. check it out

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 556
ya i have the 15 and its just as fast as my friends alienware and can play the samegames his does awesome computer had no problems with it and i only payed 600 was 1000

Bronze Member
Username: Gignmofo

Post Number: 95
buy the mac... U won't have a tenth of the problems. PLus they last twice as long

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1503
"U won't have a tenth of the problems."

Nor the tenth of the software. The only thing Mac is good for is if you are big into editing media.

Also, there are ways to put the Mac OS onto a computer built for Widows.

"PLus they last twice as long"
Where did you get this information? A toshiba or many other brands can last just as long as a mac.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A

Post Number: 838
GOLD

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 285
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2030260032%204021 %204802&bop=And&CompareItemList=N82E16834115452%2CN82E16834115445%2CN82E16834114 433%2CN82E16834114426

4 laptops, newegg, what else do you need to know?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us