Capacitor

Username: Mikeyruubs

Post Number: 3
how long does a capacitor hold its charge?????

i got a 3600W system and i wana know how long the charge on a capacitor will last

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 3304
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/452834.html

And with a 3600W system, you are gonna need alot more than a cap.

You're gonna need a High output alternator, the big 3 done, at least 1-2 extra battery, and a good amount of 1/0 gauge wire

May I ask what amps you are running to get 3600w. I'm thinking that is the MAX rating, which you never go by. Only go by the RMS power rating.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5209
X2, tell us your system ok?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6592
Cap is not going to do anything, you absolutely need an HO alternator and good battery for that size system.

And why do people always think they need extra batteries for daily systems. You just need a big alternator to keep the batttery charged.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 151
yes, HO alt all the way with big 3 upgrade.

Username: Cameltoe1

Nebraska City, Nebraska United States

Post Number: 1
can any one tell me what exatcly happens to let you know that you might need a capacitor?
Could not running enough power to the amp cause it to keep kicking out like the brand new piece of s#%t is doing?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6620
Can you not read or something. You don't need a capacitor.

Post Number: 2
Shut up stupid! If you could Read you'd see that I'm trying to figure out what happens when your system is under powered. So if anyone that doesn't their mouth slapped can tell me I would greatly appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3591
yea, you need at least 3.5 farads Pyle makes good ones.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3593
And it will hold a charge better with the gains up.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 469
^^^haha - i concur

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6627

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7097
"Shut up stupid! If you could Read you'd see that I'm trying to figure out what happens when your system is under powered. So if anyone that doesn't their mouth slapped can tell me I would greatly appreciate it."

Listen tough guy. You're the one who is asking "stupid" people for help, that really makes you seem smart or for a better word, intelligent. If your system is under-powered you'll damage it, plain and simple. You'll blow up your amps and you'll damage your subs. As stated above get yourself a high output alternator and eliminate potential problems. Also, stop being a jackazz when asking for help. You're welcome.

Post Number: 3
thanks there robbie!

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1504
"You'll blow up your amps and you'll damage your subs."

I seriously doubt any of that will happen. Most every amp should shut down long before any damage ensues from low voltage, and as far as speaker damage - as voltage fades, power fades, speaker damage actually decreases.

being stranded on the side of the road by a dead battery and/or damaged alternator is definitely a possibility though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7147
Lol, Optidriven. You've never used lots of amps :-) I'm guessing. Memphis 4kws go POOF when they see less than 12volts. With any amp as you have poor voltage the amp will try to produce proper wattage for the resistor and end up clipping and that's when your sub goes POOF. Doubt it all you want, I've smoked the coil on my Solo X while drunk one night from a weak charging system. On paper your idea sounds nice but in reality sh1t blows up faster and more costly than you can probably imagine. I've seen a Hifonics 1600D blow up from low voltage as well as a Autotek MM1400 and also recently...a TC-9(What a shame) that's what happens when you drop below 12volts. This is why you need a strong charging system.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1505
Upload

I guess we can scratch all those amps off our "good amps" list then.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1506
I prefer engineering explanations over anecdotal.

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/showthread.php?t=65076&highlight=voltage

Gold Member

Post Number: 7153
Lots and lots of amps are sensitive to low voltage. If you're dipping below 12volts it's never good, you should know that. It's also abuse to your alt which is working harder than it should. I understand why you prefer one explanation over another but fact is...without a proper 12volt system you're going to have problems. That's the bottom line in the high powered car audio game.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1507
<12v?
of course that's bad.
That means your battery is REALLY carrying a big load, and nobody likes walking home.
I just don't think damaged equipment is a valid reason to monitor voltage, and the charging system in general.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7156
"I just don't think damaged equipment is a valid reason to monitor voltage, and the charging system in general."

I don't understand what you mean by that. It didn't make sense to me. You should monitor your voltage and charging system before things get damaged.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6655
I have seen several amps which are not protected, or the protection circuitry is not good enough, blow from low voltage.

The Memphis 4kw is especially known for this........

Gold Member

Post Number: 7163
^Mhmmm, I took good care of my 4Kw though and it didn't blow up. I'm a winna!

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1509
"I don't understand what you mean by that. It didn't make sense to me. You should monitor your voltage and charging system before things get damaged."

I was just restating my belief that low voltage doesn't (or at least shouldn't lead to damaged amps.

Re: the 4kw Memphis...
I'm guessing they figure anyone looking to run 4kw already has a beast of an alternator and an extra battery or two. Too bad for those who don't I guess.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7170
Low voltage does damage amps but it would be nice if it didn't :-)

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1510
you've cited voltage problems with 2 amps from the same mfg, similar designs, on the budget side of quality, and one GIANT Memphis that is really no where near a "typical" amp.

Considering Rob M's credentials as an engineer you're going to have to forgive me for siding with his explanation over yours.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7183
Lol, did it ever occur to you that I might just be Rob M?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7184
Here's the part where you should have paid more attention to: "In truth, this is not terribly significant and as long as the input voltage is within specifications for the amplifier it will perform well."

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1512
Well the way I see it is if you're operating an amp outside it's voltage specs (<11v) then it's no longer an issue of why the amp failed, but why is the user so stupid.

Low voltage protection should kick in anyway - and in my experience HU's are more sensitive to low voltage than a lot of amps and once they shut down the amps go too.

I've always thought of "low voltage kill amps" as one of the many CA myths. But I'm not too stubborn to claim there are NO exceptions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7211
"Well the way I see it is if you're operating an amp outside it's voltage specs (<11v) then it's no longer an issue of why the amp failed, but why is the user so stupid. "

The one time I clipped my Solo X 18'' I was pretty drunk and cruising down the street for a quick ride but I shouldn't have been driving at the time so lesson learned.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5215
i think it all comes down to HOW GOOD is the protection part of the amp.

IMO.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6685
^^^^ that is exactly it

With the memphis amps for example the protection doesn't kick in fast enough, and the amps can be damaged when voltage drop to < 10 volt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us