Components and Amp - Recommendations needed

Username: Ochoco

Post Number: 9
'08 Silverado Crew Cab. Stock Bose System. Suggestions on component replacements and an amp replacement to run them. I believe that is two front door speakers and two tweeters, and two rear door speakers and two tweeters. Not sure on the exact sizes.

Not trying to win any contests, just want clean, decently loud sound. I have an AQ1200D amp and a pair of Arsenal 10" subs on the way for the lows. Was just going to upgrade there and stop but changed my mind. I will keep the stock Nav head unit still though.

Also, is a crossover needed or are the ones that generally come with the components good enough?

Thanks for any input.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6453
Are you dissatisfied with the stock system? You can certainly put a much better system in there, but it will cost some big $........ from my expierence the Bose systems are actually pretty decent. Nothing special, but pretty good as far as stock systems go.

Post Number: 10
I guess I should wait until I get my subs and amp in and go from there but from the feedback I've seen so far on the '08 Silverado Bose systems, it's not so great. My wifes old '04 Suburban bose system was noticeably louder than and sounded better than my Silverados '08.

Sadly I suppose it could also be the head unit to blame, but I hope not.

Silver Member
Username: Exige

Post Number: 152
I've got an 03 Suburban so if it's anything like that with the Bose system....there's definite room for improvement.

With the Bose systems...it's hit and miss. The one in an A6 is pretty darn good.

An amp and some new speakers would probably take care of any other concerns. Those Arsenal's will definitely help though. You can get by with a front set of components, and it'd probably sound drastically better. Let us know what you decide to do.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6459
Yeah, if you do decide to upgrade, a 2ch amp and a good set of components for the front would prob. make all the difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Do you think upgrading the Head Unit would make a bigger difference than upgrading the bose amp and at least the front two speakers would.

Been reading so many different views on these systems and I've read a few that have switched out head units and are happy. The two that seem to get the most praise for a replacement for the stock Nav seem to be the Pioneer D3 and the Alpine IVA-W205.

I was against replacing the stock Nav head unit but after seeing some pictures of a few of these aftermarket models, they are just as clean. And most of the stock bells and whistles seem to still work, minus maybe the rear seat controls.

Thanks again for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6466
If you upgrade everything else, you should get a new HU. If not, don't bother, a new HU will not improve the sound much if everything else is stock.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us