My Pete Kulicki design. 2 4th orders for a pair of MAW 12s...

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2032
So my goal for this was low extension with lots of amplitude down there. Pete got back to me with a design for a pair of 4th order bandpass enclosures; one sub per box. The idea is that they can be stacked when I have the hardtop on and when I pull it off, I can just have one in there below the top of the seat.

Upload
^Here's a picture without the top. 1 of the enclosures will just sit below the top of the gate.

Upload
^The design.

They will be getting about 1kW.

Should destroy the current modified vented box they occupy.

I should be starting the build tomorrow and I'll update with some pictures of the beginnings. I'm also building a hardtop so there will probably be a thread with a log of that.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18868
nice design. can't wait to see the final product.

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 320
are the fronst closed?? why? what does this sound like in comparison to a seald and a vented box?

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 741
its "the best of both worlds" front is sealed with plexi. super hard to design/build these correctly. looks like a sweet design though bud

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2033
Yes, the front panels completely seal off that chamber. They are bandpass enclosures. I have read up on the science behind it but I'm terrible at reading things and remembering them. I do know that they offer higher efficiency at the cost of a steeper roll-off over a certain frequency range. In this case, it should be good for at least high 20Hz range to mid 60Hz range according to Pete. He says there is lots of emphasis around 30Hz.

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 322
k thanks. im guna have to try that with my next design... would the sq footage need to be a certain amout?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2034
Thanks, guys.

"its "the best of both worlds" front is sealed with plexi"

Not sure whether "the best of both worlds" is accurate. Although it would appear to be a hybrid, I don't believe that's actually a way in which these are described. BP enclosures don't necessarily incorporate plexiglass.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2035
There is far more to it than just throwing a second chamber on the front of your ported box. lol

I had a quick look but I didn't find anything on the specifics. I'm just gonna take my time and go for perfect cuts.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2037
http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/theories.html
There's a good site with lots of info on a bunch of enclosure types.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1976
EBS - 4th Order Large Vented Enclosure with Low Tuning

FTMFWS HA ha...... good luck on ur bandpass....

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2041
Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3285
looks like a tight idea. make the most of what you have!!

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2043
Exactly, man.

Thanks for the comment.

They took course selection and threw it in block C (woodwork for me) so I couldn't start it today. That pisses me right the f.ck off.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2046
Got some cuts done today. Worthless w/o pictures; I know. Don't fret, however. The purpose of this post is so that you can laugh at the reason for not getting more done.

Some douche (a short, cocky, annoying kid named Wayne) decided to throw a hammer at the power line and shorted it out, leaving me without power to run the table saw.

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1191
I was thinking about having Pete From Team Toxic Bass design my enclosure.. Nice looking..

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2052
Yeah. Should be dope as f.ck. I'll get some videos and a full review for you.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3289
threw a hammer at the power line

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1980
^^^^^^^ yeah wow thats Od'd who would do that you shoulda made him lick the line LOL

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18920
lol cam. that sux about the hammer.

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1194
Yea cam let me know.. if its worth the money to get his desings.. i mean there not that much but still.. lol

Bronze Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 59
hey can anyone explain the "Compound ~ Push/Pull Dual Drivers" setup that was at the bottom of the page that Cam posted? I read the whole thing but dont quite understand. It seems to be the same thing as a sealed box so would you still have the poor low bass response or does that get fixed due to the way it is set up?

What does it mean when it says that the drivers are electronically out of phase but are mechanically in phase?

Last, How does that set up compair to vented or sealed enclosures?

ps nice design cam

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2054
OK. You will get the same extension as if you just threw a single driver in a box half the size of the one for two drivers; it will just be louder overall.

Think of electronically out of phase but mechanically in phase like this:
You have two subs in a sealed enclosure mounted regularly. ">" will represent a cone.

>
>

Imagine there is a box.

You now want to try push/pull so you reverse one of them.

>
<

The problem is that when one of them starts moving out of the enclosure, the other will be moving into the enclosure so they are 180 degrees out of phase and you will get very little bass. How do you correct this? By wiring one of the speakers with the + terminal connected to the negative on the amplifier and vice versa.

The whole point?

"Either way, harmonic distortion is reduced in that any anomalies or variations in the two driver's spider, cone or suspension characteristics are canceled out by the other driver's inversely proportional anomalies and variations. The sound is as accurate and pure as it can possibly be with each driver "correcting" the other driver."

That's the part I need someone to explain...
I understand that the colouration from the baskets etc. would be canceled but if there are variations between the characteristics, how can they cancel each other out?

Thanks, Kevin.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
okay so that explains quite a bit but now would it be louder than just a regular sealed box with 2 subs in it or the same? It says it is very good for spl so im assuming it is loud like a ported box but still has high quality sound like a sealed box. Is that correct? Also does it perform well on low notes?

I think i'll have to try it out when I get my new type r's and see if I like it compaired to a regular sealed or a vented box.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 503
With isobaric loaded enclosures, isn't it puting 2 drivers together, basically giving you a single cone with twices as much motor. ( handles double the power ) This is the theory behing isobaric loading subwoofers.

so when comparing output, you have a "single" driver handling double the power which yeilds more output.

not sure if this is what you were asking about.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
We were talking about "Compound ~ Push/Pull Dual Drivers"

I think there is a difference but im not sure.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2058
"It says it is very good for spl so im assuming it is loud like a ported box but still has high quality sound like a sealed box. Is that correct? Also does it perform well on low notes?"

It's not necessarily "loud like a ported box" but it will (theoretically) be 6 dB louder with power totaling twice that a single sub would be recieving. A ported box can have high quality sound. It will have the same extension (how low it can get) as a single sub. For all of this we are assuming a sealed box with each driver receiving a certain amount of space.

Yes, there is a difference.

Eddy, you can double the motor force if you wire those subwoofers in series. If you wire them in parallel, the Bl will remain the SAME as with one driver. You will just have a lower overall impedance.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2059
And your motor force doesn't double due to handling twice the power, just in case that's what you are saying.

Wiring voice coils in series also doubles the Bl of a single coil/coils in parallel.

BTW, I forgot to take pictures today. Camera was in my backpack and everything. Finished with the table saw and got a bunch assembled. Should have them done tomorrow. Definitely by Friday though. Lots of pics tomorrow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Still dont fully understand but I'll just test it out and find out for myself. Thanks for your help and good luck with your box cam. Lookin forward to the pictures.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2072
Hey. I don't mind helping at all. Which part isn't making sense?

Thank you!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
I dont really understand how it compairs to other box designs(regular sealed, ported/slotted, and bandpass) in spl, sql, or sq.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2073
OK. You can consider it a sealed enclosure because it is. In this case, it's a sealed enclosure with 2 woofers. The only difference is that you can get 270 decibelz out of it. Just playing. The real difference is that you have one sub with the magnet out of the box to reduce harmonic distortion. So it will be no louder than if you had mounted both subs the same way but the SQ would be improved. Whether your ears are tuned finely enough to pick up on that improvement, I don't know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
270db? lol you almost had me sold on it. I think I'll give it a try when I get my new set-up anyway and see if I like it.

Thanks for all the info!

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2076
No problem. Definitely give it a try and let me know how it sounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
I sure will. Unfortunately I have to get home which is 10 hours from where I go to school, then I have to buy subs and an amp. But after that Im sure Ill be excited enough by the new system and throw up a whole bunch of videos and pictures.

You got the pictures of your boxes ready yet? POST! lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us