How to build a custom box?

87IROC
i have 2 12" DVC subs and i want to build a custom sub box for my 87 camaro and put it in the hatch part does any one have experience with this and know any specs? do i make it sealed or ported?

87IROC
email me or reply with any help willy_wanka04@hotmail.com

87IROC
well...........anyone?????

motoman22
Sealed or ported depends entirely on the exact speaker's needs. We don't know the exact speaker so we can't answer this one. Of course, we're just going to find the specs on it and see if it recommends a ported or sealed enclosure so you can do the same thing.

I've done a couple of camaros in my day and they are a challenge. There are a lot of angles to build in and if it doesn't fit perfect it looks like crap. Because of this, several pre-fab boxes are available for your camaro and they fit 12" subs. I would suggest getting one of these boxes and buying subs that are designed for that much airspace.

To build it yourself, just grab a tape measure and start figuring out what will fit...then see if you have enough volume to satisfy the driver's needs. If not, extend the bottom or if you're within about 0.1'^3 you can just add a pound of polyfill and trick the speaker into seeing a bigger cabinet.

There just isn't a single correct answer to your question.

motoman22
p.s. the coolest camaro I did was 4-8" subs and it freaking pounded. It was actually two separate bandpass enclosures with entirely too much power but it was quite impressive.

That was an '84 with the same body as yours. If you place the speakers just right, they appear as a floating 'hologram' in the rear view mirror. It's just their reflection on the inside back glass but it's in the middle of your rear view and cooler than ice. I probably have pictures of it somewhere..though that was over 10 years ago.

87iroc
hey if u find them pictures i'd like to see them willy_wanka04@hotmail.com

INCUBUS
There is lots of prefabracated boxes made for camaro's....i suggest that you try to find one on the net that has the dimentions on the site...i think q-logic makes some..

87IROC
i want a custom box to fit right to the botom or the hole in the back

INCUBUS
my bad all of the custom boxes are for 93 and up

megabass
Not necessarily. First you have to figure out what space you want it to fill or what it should look like. Next get out the cardboard and make up some mock-ups. The width is the easy part. It's the profile most times that's complicated.
Since I have a 95 camaro, getting designs for those is a snap. But I did get a 92Z in a few months ago. I had a working 87-92 design is about 4-5 hours of cardboard work and another 2-3 hours working with the prototype. But in reality, it could take several days. I use autocad software and that helps me know the angles to cut to. My 87-92 box turned out like this http://www.subthump.com/images/3rdgen/3rd1.jpg

Can any one tell me where I can find the dimensions for box that would create the most drop out of a pair of 10" pioneer 500watt subs inside the trunk of a 4dr Civic '02.

I would Like to build 2 custum woofer boxes in the rear side panels of a 91 Ford Explorer. For 2 infinity 12" perfects. Any tips, advice, blueprints, etc. would be very helpful. and anything else regarding a custum system in a 91 explorer.

I would like to build a custom box for 4 kicker comp. 15", for a 03' chevy taeho any tips or suggestions e-mail me at chronicbuds247@comcast.net

hey yall wussup! I got 2 alpine Type R and i was wonder how to hook up 2 seperate amp to get their full power on both subs..Note: i already got 1amp dat is 1000 watt of kenwood kac9292 series.

yeah i have a 94 camaro an i need a custome box for two ten inche solo barics. (L7'S) you know any were i can get one or order one or even make my own.

rosebudd
To all,

All of the woofers you guys are speaking about have spec sheets available from the vendor or the website. Your box design should be determined by the type of sound you want, ported boxes are very efficent and will have more spl and better bass extension, the only draw back is it requires a larger enclosure. Sealed boxes need more power; however, offer improved sound quality and smaller enclosure size over ported assuming the woofer in the ported box uses a spider and motor assymbley that moves very easy (it isn't stiff), thus leading to poor woofer control. Consult your local audio dealer if you have more questions. L8R

Username: 540ia

Post Number: 1
I have 3-12" DVC audiobaun high exscursions series,I am trying to find the best custom design for them.I am putting them in a 2001 BMW 540ia wagon.I am also powering them with a rockford 1500bd,so I need something strong,and that with maximize my bass line.any suggestions,or desings will be appreciated

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 24
best bet is fiberglass.
you could baffle across that drop section as well, but it's hard to seal it that way, and the gas tank is right under the angled forward portion of the drop section, so any screws you sink there will puncture the fuel tank. not good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us