Plexiglass box?

Bronze Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 44
Has anyone ever seen one?
I was planning on building a box entirely out of 3/4in thick plexiglass using that clear caulk that is used in bathrooms and screws to bind it together. The box will be slotted. Does anyone think this would be a bad idea? I was thinking that it could be since plexiglass wouldnt absorb any sound and MDF does. Any advice?

ps: If you have pictures of one I would like to see them.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 395
it would probably be quite expensive

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Im not really sure i was lookin up prices online and plexiglass looked to be about $20 or $30 more for the same size as MDF.

This is more in the idea phase right now so lets just stick to whether it would work well or not.

Silver Member
Username: Ska

USA

Post Number: 501
i wouldn't do it, beause those sheets that are 20 or 30 you have to see the dementions and the thikness. Plexy isn't very strong at all so you'd have to brace it with something OR have the box relitivly small...

Plexy is not cheap by any means, i wanted to build a box out of the stuff too, for the sheets alont is around 200... then you have to have the right tool to cut it and then make sure it doesn't get scratched and stuff

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13974
There's nooooo way 3/4" plexi is only $20-$30 more than MDF. On my box I have a 12" X 16" piece and that piece was $30 by itself.

You're gonna have to dig alot deeper man.

I can post a link on prices but I don't wanna upset you lol.

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 373
if you want a box made out of plexi let me find the link that builds them and ill post it and plexi is said to sound better no experience here just what i was told... somthing about wood being porus and plexi isn't

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 374
www.gatelyaudio.com here you go if you get them to build you one shippings going to hurt but if you email them im sure they will answer your questions about building them

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 530
those boxes look bad a55

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Wow those look really sweet... too bad they cost a bit more than im willing to pay right now. If I think my buddy's dad said he would be able to do it if I gave him the specs on the box and paid for the materials. It might be worth a shot cuz those look bad a55

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
On my earlier comment about plexi costing $20-$30 than MDF....

I was horribly wrong

I mistook .080" thick for .8"
OOPS

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Could anyone give me some pointers on installing plexiglass viewing windows on a box? lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13978
I did one and it came out alright.

A great tip is to custom order the size and build the box around it. MDF is cheaper/easier to cut than plexi.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2181
"and screws to bind it together"

Do you know how crappy that would look man. Screws all in it would look like sh!t

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1455
There used to be a guy on here with an Earthquake sub that was in a plexi box.... I dunno where he wwent though

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids love my rhyme...

Post Number: 4280
i dont think a plexi box would look clean at all with an amateur doing it. no offense, but i doubt without extensive experience you could get a box to look that nice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Well one of the reasons I want to do it is for experience... I wont get good at doin it if I dont try. I'm just trying to get advice from people who have done it before.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Im gunna be making the box out of 3/4" MDF probably no plexiglass unless I just do a window on it. Anyway I got a couple of pictures of plans. Let me know what you think. Its for a 12" alpine type-r. Ignore that the side walls are taller than the port, it looked weird when I made them the same size without a top with my program

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=30&Eh=15&Dia=6&Xmax=18.2&Vd=.071&NumW=1&Vb=2&Fb=34&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13984
I had an inner channel of MDF that supported the window. Glued and screwed tight. The plexi laid flush with the outside of the box. Predrilled holes and screwed the plexi to the MDF channels, putting a bead of plexi adhesive down first. Then I locked the piece in with an aluminum channel. Pretty strong design. Tight as a drum. Threw some neon lighting in and bam! I can see everything I love lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
That sounds pretty good. Thanks Paul.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13986
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

It's a little extra work but worth it.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1275
i did a window on my last box and it was pretty cool but kind of point less cuz i drive a trunk car so i never really see it. thats why on my new box i didnt do plexi. looked very sweet tho. i am actually going to re paint it, trim it and then sell it. its for 2 12's tho. ill try to find some pics of it or i might just take some.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1279
heres a pic of it. screws and cleats on the window have been covered with trim but i dont have any pics of that.

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
That looks really sweet paul.

Mark, If your gunna sell it what are the specs on it? and is it ported?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1283
yes it is ported specs are 3.8 cubes after the kappa perfects that were in it tunes to 33hz.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6973
The guy who had the Earthquake Holee S paid 2,000 dollars for his Plexi box.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids love my rhyme...

Post Number: 4287
yeah... i remember that guy. that was a sick setup.

Silver Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 347
Were are you guy's getting your pricing on plexiglass last time I built a plexi box it was over $500 for 4x8 sheet

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 348
Where? sorry!

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 349
Here's a useful site for working with Plexi
http://www.cyro.com/Internet/SiteContent.nsf/WebMSDSs/12E7EE4B05128DF285256BB800 70953F/$File/1084M+Working+with+ACRYLITE.pdf?OpenElement

for some reason it stop's the link so copy and paste it.

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 350
Here's a useful site for working with Plexi
http://www.cyro.com/Internet/SiteContent.nsf/WebMSDSs/12E7EE4B05128DF285256BB800 70953F/$File/1084M+Working+with+ACRYLITE.pdf?OpenElement

for some reason it stop's the link so copy and paste it.

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 351
stupid computer!!!! okay maybe it's because MeSoDumm! LOL

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 352
If you need help I have I have built 6 or 7 full plexi boxes and several inlay's. You can cut the sheets but what I like best is to tape it up so you don't get deep scar's and use a sheet metal bender or box break, make sure you tape it also! It takes 3 or 4 guy's helping, 2 on bender and 2 with heat gun's. You end up with a much stronger box and only one seam to screw together other than the ends of course.

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 353
Nice box!
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
thats sick

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14019
Where I get mine from:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bin/pp.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr =3&prrfnbr=100409&sesent=0,0&search_id=82085

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 536
how much would one for 2 12s cost prolly like 3.5 cubes

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14028
Put it this way. One full sheet of .750" thick on the the site I listed is $728. I'm sure you can get it cheaper but you get the idea.

The only way to go with that would be to calculate all your pieces and have them cut to fit each piece. They're very precise. The shipping carton would be much smaller as well.

Still insanely expensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us