What happened?

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1534
I was driving around this morning, going to get connectors to put in my new HU and then my sub quit and made a weird sound, while the speakers were still playing then there was smoke. Quicking stopped the car, and pulled the plug.

Looked at the guts and there was smoke inside and there was a burnt piece on the side.

While the sub was acting up, my head unit clicked off for a second.

Don't know what that was about.

I've not had any problems, gains are very low. Sub is wired correctly.

Can someone give me an idea. I have a warranty on it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6359
" Looked at the guts and there was smoke inside and there was a burnt piece on the side. "

Talking about the amp? That burnt component on the side would be a FET. And, in most cases what that happens there is other damage that may not be visible.

You can try and send it in for warranty........ but if they say its user error they usually won't fix it free.

The more important question is WHY this happened? I'd suspect it may be something other than just a bad amp if the HU turned off at the same time it happened........

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6958
How loud were you playing your music on your head unit? XX out of XX? Are you sure you have the proper charging or your charging system is working properly?

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1535
I have a stock electrical system, I was having no voltage drop. I was playing 35 out of 40 for a while no problems, went into Autozone, came out, started my car and the sub started acting up.

I think the battery needs to be replaced soon, but I wasn't having any problems when I had 2 amps with more power before.

I bought a warranty through square trade because I didn't buy it from an authorized dealer.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1536
After talking to Greg from USAmps, he said it is most likely because Pioneer has weak grounds on their RCA's. With USAmps, they need a strong ground on the RCA.

I literally just picked up connectors for my Clarion, what horrid timing. I got the Clarion in, not as "cool" as the Pioneer, doesn't have as many controllable features like the adjustable parametric EQ but the AUX in, and the USb connect make it worth it.

My Zune is not supported by the Clarion USB, but my buddies Sansa is. The AUX in works nice though.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6371
First time I've heard of that......... pioneer FTL

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1539
I am totally with you on Pioneer now.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5184
well... you can fix that in a moment. Search ground loop on google and hit the link of caraudioforum.com. I did it with a friend and it works great now.

It's a simple problem that CAN BE FIXED with 10 dollars or less.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us