Best way to hook up 1 ten in sub

Username: Ranger060

Mission Viejo, CA

Post Number: 1
I need help. I bought a ten inch Bazooka tube DVC 4ohm, and I have a Power Teknique 400w x 400w 2 channel amp. Whats the benefit if any in bridging it, running it in a series, or parallel? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1967
I would just put 1 channel on each voice coil.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6344
Bridge it.... you don't want different signals going to the coils

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2155
bridge it and run it in parallel if your amp can handle the ohm load. I dont feel like looking up specs

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6950
It all depends on what your amp can put out at the ohm load you're feeding it. Just look at your manuals and it won't be hard to figure out.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18468
give us a review of the bazooka tube after you finish installing it. i always wonder how they sound.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8051
^^^not very good ....I heard one years and years ago...unless they improved alot with the new ones

Mission Viejo, CA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the quick responses. Andrew Capps, what do you mean "if the amp can handle it" are you talking about the ohm load? I looked up the specs and
Maximum Output Power @ 2 Ohms: 400W x 2CH
Power Output @ 2 Ohms: 175W x 2CH
Power Output @ 4 Ohms: 125W x 2CH
Power Output Bridged: 350W x 1CH

It also said the amp is 2 ohm stable. I haven't yet had time to hook it up bridged then parallel, but I will let you know. Currently I have only one voice coil hooked up to the amp and the sub has a lot of distortion that sounds like crap. It hits a little but when the music is low you can hear the distortion.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18486
why would you only hook up 1 coil. hook both of them up. now.

Mission Viejo, CA

Post Number: 3
"Chad Lee" you mean bridge them right? Also whats the advantage of using 2 ohm load on the amp vs 4 or 8ohm?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1977
Don't run it at 2 ohms bridged.

You have 2 choices:
a) 8 ohms bridged
b) a channel on each coil.

I like b.

MS, could you explain how it could get a significantly different signal from each channel?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6375
If the amp were connected to a regular set of RCA outputs. Some low end HUs don't have dedicated sub outs.......

As for the Bazookas, yeah they suck.

Mission Viejo, CA

Post Number: 4
I am confused, according to 12 volt.com they say I can wire it two other ways. I attached the diagrams.Upload
Upload

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1978
You can. Each diagram illustrates a different way of connecting components in a circuit.

In the first diagram, you are wiring the voice coils in parallel, which gives you a 2 ohm impedance. This is due to there being 2 paths for the electrons, therefore less impedance.

In the second one, the coils are wired in series. Because the electrons have to travel through both 4 ohm coils before the can complete the circuit, the impedances are added. This gives you an 8 ohm load.

Remember the terms "parallel" and "series".

Series: add resistances.
Parallel: Divide 1 by each load (unit = ohms) then add your answers to get the final load (of course, this omits resistance from your conductors, terminal, etc.). Example using yours: 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2 (the reciprocal will be your load). I didn't explain that well but the example should make it obvious. Now, when it comes to speakers, we usually deal with equal loads, so you can usually just divide the IDENTICAL load by the number of components. Example: two 4 ohm voice coils = 4/2, which equals 2.

There was something else I wanted to say...

Right. Impedance is used when the load is reactive (resistance changes with the frequency of the AC). Speakers are reactive loads. Resistance is used when the load is constant.

There was something else.

I dunno.

Just please say "impedance" instead of "the ohms".

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1985
All that typing and no replies...

Mission Viejo, CA

Post Number: 5
Cam, thanks a lot that was actually very helpful. I still have the same problem I did with my 12's though. I just got rid of my two 12's because they had so much distortion, now the same thing with this new sub, its just not clean. Could it be my amp? The amp is about 5-7 years old.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6395
My bet is you didn't set your amp gain right and are clipping it...... a lot

Mission Viejo, CA

Post Number: 6
M.S. So you think its more along the lines that the amp is just not setp up correctly with the head unit? Do amps usually have a lifespan?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us