MDF or birch

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 171
for making a box i am pretty sure that MDF is better to use than birch. i mean i know birch is strong but i don't think it keeps in the sound

but i have seen a few boxes or birch and i new that you guys would know more that i would

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6333
Birch > MDF

It's also expensive thats why most people don't use it

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5495
a sheet of birch 3/4 at homedepot was 46 dollars =-O

but like Miss said

birch > mdf

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 551
Mdf or Birch is pretty much a personal decision other than the cost difference in the material.

MDF is preferred since it's density makes it more resonance dead than other materials, plus it cheaper than birch. MDF weight is the other factor.

Birch on the other hand, costs more, weights less and it not free of voids within the veneer sheets.

However, if your considering the " plywood route ", HD sell a plywood that is called " Sande Ply " that has more veneer layers and is cheaper than birch, it does have voids, but not to the degree that birch ply has.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18413
ok sorry for this noob question phil but what do you mean by "void"?

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5501
open spaces is the only thing that comes to mind.

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
Chad,

All types of plywood have voids within the wood veneer layers that make up a plywood sheet.

The only plywood that is " VOID FREE " is Baltic Birch plywood.

And just to clarify the use of the word " VOIDS ".

There's not these big azz void spaces within the layers of the plywood, more like when the veneer sheet are cut then dried to reduce the moisture content of the wood veneer, it shrinks and creates " tears " within the sheet, thus creating the voids.

A good example of what I am trying to explain is next time your at a Home Depot or Lowes, goto the isles where they keep all the different grade's of plywood.

Look at the different sheets outside cover layer and you will notice what appears to look like " Footballs ", this is where they cut out the " tear " in the veneer layer and patched it in with another piece of veneer.

Now, if that was done to each veneer sheet layer in the manufacturing process of the better grades of plywoods " Birch, Oak, Maple and so forth " a sheet of plywood would cost a helluva more than is does.

Silver Member
Username: Ska

USA

Post Number: 477
what about marien oak ply wood? thats some good sht right there :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
I try to avoid pressure treated woods that use arsenic as one of the primary ingredients:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/8790.html

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18419
phil is a walking encyclopedia. lol. nice man. mad props.

also thanks for the detailed defination.

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 173
just an other thing ill being up. my next box i am going to us MDF and cover it with fiberglass. have you guys ever heard of that? good idea? u think it will help or do anything at all?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15138
This kind of information is why I like reading this forum. Specially for a Car Audio noob like myself :-)

Good to know Phil.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us