Do I need a Power Capacitor?

GrandPrixPat
I have a JBL 600-watt Mono Amp ("600.1 BP" model), and am running a Rockford Fosgate HX2 Punch 12" Subwoofer (500-watts RMS, 1000-watts peak) off of it. I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Do I need a Power Capacitor?? If so - just 1 farad?

Thanks very much!

teflondog
you don't need a power capacitor. it's just a waste of money in your situation. what i recommend instead is upgrading your battery cables from your stock 8 gauge wires to some new 4 gauge wires. that will allow more current to flow from your alternator to your battery and from your battery to your amp. just make sure you don't crank your amp all the way because it will definitely blow your sub. jbl amps are often underrated and actually have more power than advertised. as a side note, don't look at peak power; look at rms power since that's the actual rating.

GrandPrixPat
Thanks a lot Teflon - How high should the gain be on the amp? If I do not want to replace the stock 8 gauge wires with 4 gauge wires, what should I do instead, in order to definitely NOT blow my alternator/battery? The reason I ask is that when I first got my JBL Amp hooked up I had a used Rockford Fosgate 12" sub with 400 watts RMS, and I quickly blew that sub. So for a couple weeks I was driving around with an amp powering nothing, and after a week and a half my alternator went. The car is 5 years old, so I'm thinking/hoping that was just because the alternator went, and not because of how my amp was hooked up. Thanks again.

teflondog
you could get a higher output alternator and a new battery but that could get a little expensive. upgrading those battery cables will cost less than $50 and is probably the most important upgrade that you could do in any car system. most people upgrade their batteries and get high output alternators but don't realize that it's pointless since their stock 8 gauge cable can only carry a limited amount of current. your previous alternator might have been able to provide the needed energy all along, but your cable reduced the transfer. grand prix cars usually have a good stock alternator. as for the gain on your amp, i would recommend slowly turning it up to the point where the subwoofer sounds muddy (distortion) and then turn it back a tiny bit.

I have a BMW 525i 91 model. I want to run two Kicker 12 inch subs off one 4x300 Watt amp and a set of splits(component spaekers-pioneer) and a pair of 6x9 off another Audioline 4x300 Watt amp.

Do I need a capacitor to run all this? If so how many farad?
(from Australia)

teflondog
2 farads should be good.

Anonymous
i have a 12' kicker sub rms 750 and i want to get a 700watt phoenix amps do i need a power compacitor

do i need a capacitor if im runnin 2 12 in 800 watt rms subs and a 300 rms amp all power acoustiks

MEXXX
It never hurts to have a cap or two.You can pick one up on ebay for around 50 bucks.You dont need a fancy one with a digital top and brand name sticker on it.As far as NEEDING a cap for your situation....does it work the way it is?than you dont NEED a cap,but like I said,it never hurts.

I have a 2001 honda civic cpe, 2 audiobahn 10's rated 350w rms, and an mtx amp pushing 100w x 2rms. do I need a cap to help power supply or 2 change from 8 to 4guage power? When i turn on my defrost and/or a/c unit the subs go in and out. and when i turn them off.....beautiful. Is it just a cap i need, an alternator upgrade(please god, no), or just a 4 guage power wire?

MEXXX
First,read the post above yours.Second,no the 8 guage is fine,an alt upgrade is always an A+ but very expensive,and yes,like I said before it never hurts to have a cap.Try the cap first.Oh,and maby a new battery depending on the state of the one you have now.

I have a 15" rockford hx2 with 600watts rms 1200 peak and a kenwood 480watt(bridged)amp 800max.when i accelerate the sub gets louder and when i slow down the sub gets quiter. do i need a cap?if so how many farads do i need

mkw
reginald ballard, are u sure that ur subs are cutting b/c the are lacking power? b/c if u arent grounded properly, things like rear window defrosters, horns, etc can cause disturbance that ur non-properly ground wire will carry to ur amp and output it through ur subs.
test this by pressing ur horn and listening, it happened to me before and every time i pressed the horn the subs buzzed and whatnot

cr
i have a 1990 Lincoln Towncar, 2 12" Kicker CompVR dual voice coil, and a Sony class D 800w amp. think i'd need a cap? also the amp requires 80 amps, i'm not sure if my altenator puts out that much, and i can't find any info on it. thanks.

Kustomizer
Do you need to charge the capacitor before you install it?

matt
hey the guide for capacitors is
.5 farad for 500 watts
1 farad for every 1000 watts
BUT DO YOU NEED TO CHARGE CAPACITORS BEFORE YOU INSTALL BECAUSE
YOU WIRE ONE CONNECTION OFF THE CAPACITOR TO THE + TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY AND YOU OU GROUND THE OTHER BUT SINCE IT IS HOPPKED UP TO THE + DO YOU NEED TO CHARGE IT PLEASE HELP

porky18
i have a question on capaciors.... what kind of capacitor should i get. i have 2 12" alpine type R subs and two 301M rockford amp. i also have 1 more amp powering my type R speakers. im planning to get a dvd screen in my car later when i have the $$$. what kind of capacitor should i get and preferably what name brand as well... thanks

matt
get any one but each has so much power only
for ever 500 watts you have in your car you need .5 farad so for 1000 watts you need 1 farad
so find out how many watts your speakers are plus the dvd and all that and then you will know

Anonymous
Your battery should charge the capacitor after you connect it to the battery.

porky18
thanks a lot

porky18
does the capaciotr ever run out of batteries???
how long do they last for?

does the capacitator ever run out of batteries? if your car isnt running and the car battery goes dead....yeah the cap will not charge any more. how long do they last? depends on what kind of cap you get...havent had enough experience owning them to know the exact length they last. i have only used a cap in my own applications once, and i took it out soon after...just made the problem worse, but anyways, good luck.

remember this, you NEVER, i mean NEVER, -->NEED<-- a cap. it is just something to use if you need a little bit of evening out.(5-10 amps at most)

it is called a stiffening capacitator for a reason :)

Unregistered guest
i just got a set of 12" sony explodes that have a 1200 watt peak do i need to buy an amp of 1200 watts to max it out or just plug it to the cd deck i dont know anything about this stuff

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 183
-does the capaciotr ever run out of batteries???

a capacitor is charged by the car's electrical system.
When discharging, it lasts for about 5 to 15 seconds before needing to be recharged again.
This is why a capacitor will never make up for a high output alternator or a weak electrical system.

-how long do they last for?

see above. 15 seconds give or take.

-i just got a set of 12" sony explodes that have a 1200 watt peak

take them back. Sony is one of the worst car audio products you could possibly buy.
plus, never pay attention to max power ratings. always use RMS values.

-do i need to buy an amp of 1200 watts to max it out or just plug it to the cd deck

never try to power subs from a head unit.
use an amplifier with an RMS power rating equal to the RMS handling of the subs, when driven at the load the subs will present (4 Ohms, 2 Ohms, whatever.. up to how you wire it and the subs themselves.)

Unregistered guest
-so i am looking at an amp that has 380 RMS is it ok to plug into my subwoofer that it rated 350 RMS or is the 30 more watts to much?

-can you adjust the RMS rate on the amp?

Post Number: 233
no you cannot change the RMS rating of the amp, but you can use a line level signal attenuator so that the amp never reaches maximum output, which will in effect prevent you from giving the speakers their full power.
380w amp on 350w speakers should be fine.
that's close enough to matching.

Anonymous

ok so i have two sony 12" subs with 350 RMS and a 1200 watt peak then i am buying two amps one for each sub the amps are rated 1000 watt peak and 380 RMS should that work fine.

Username: Jwayne

Post Number: 1
i have a 1100rms amp. would it be best to upgrade to a high output alternator, optima redtop battery and 4guage from the battery to the amp and not worry about purchasing a 2 farad capacitor? or would i need a capacitor since the amp has so much power. also i was thinking about addin a 4x500w amp for my mids and highs, what would be the best solution?

Post Number: 243
you will need a high output alternator.
you'll need to upgrade the wiring for the alternator, and battery. a yellow top wouldn't hurt either with that alternator.
what amplifiers are you using?
I don't know of anything that puts out 500wRMS x 4

Username: Jwayne

Post Number: 2
i looked into a yellow top..it didnt have enough cold cranking amps for my car. the amp for my subs is a Memphis 16-MC1000d(1100x1rms). the ones im going to use for my highs and mids is a Memphis 16-MC3004 75x4 @ 4ohm, 115 x 4 @ 2ohm, 115 x 4 @ 2ohm. do you think that a capacitor is necessary?

Post Number: 251
a capacitor won't help you one bit.
a new high output alternator on the other hand, is what you'll *need* with that much current draw.
you're already talking about 130A of current draw for the audio system alone.
Your car probably needs another 50-80A of current beyond that.
Time for at least a 200A alternator.

Anonymous

so i have two 12" subs with 350RMS and two amps with 380 RMS i have a 100A alternator what would i have to do buy a new alternator i am putting these in an 89' blazer with 6" kc offroad lights

Post Number: 262
most likely, yes you'll need a larger alternator for the lights and amplifiers.

Username: Motoman22

Post Number: 12
"no you cannot change the RMS rating of the amp."

I have. It involves replacing (or adding to) components on the board but it can be done. Anyone who has been in this stuff since about '93 or '94 should remember Mark Fukuda and his yellow blazer... anyone care to guess how much power his Power 1000 amps were really putting out? Let's just say that he got caught, most of us never do.

Post Number: 295
Yes, you can physically alter tha amplifier and put in larger finals, but what he was asking was if you can turn a knob and alter the power output of the amplifier.
No, you can't do that.
I wanted to abort any thoughts of using the sensitivity inputs to vary power output. It doesn't work that way.
And yes I recall him. I was still competing in IASCA then. I started in 91 in IASCA.

Username: Peteyplaya04

Post Number: 4
ok i'm new so don't laugh! this one kid that i know has this rockford fosgate cap. it's digital and had 4 connections thingys on top of it! he just bought it and wants to get rid of it. he wants my radar detector (i bought at walmart for 40 bucks) all my friends are saying trade him and just sell the cap for a lot of money. could any of you guys please tell me what would be the smart thing to do? my friends tell me it costa about $200. and it's brand new! any input would be great!

Post Number: 308
go for it if ya want the capacitor.
if it's a 1 farad cap, it's a great deal.
besides, if you want a good radar detector, forget the $40 ones from wallyworld, and get a Valentine One.
:-)

I'd make the trade.

jared
Unregistered guest
if im running two amps do i need 2 caps or just one

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Ok this one is for Mike Gibson, ok my moms car does the same thing ill tell ya why that happens... thier has been a new "thing" in cars i bet its in ur owners manual, but it says when you increase in speed so does your volume, its called a "convinence feature" so your system will encrease, My moms driving a '96 Monte Carlo, so they've have been around.

and yes when i go from town to highway we frequntly turn it down(lol).

Post Number: 365
Jared, you never actually "need" a capacitor.
caps don't really do anything but smooth out spikes in demand for current. If your electrical system is lacking, the only fix is a larger alternator.

one capacitor can handle multiple amplifiers to answer your question.

oh, thatguy, I know what you're talking about. that's on most newer GM cars, and a number of others. It can be disabled, as well.
I have a JVC el kameleon that has that "cruise" feature too.
it alters the volume to compensate for road noise.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
I dint have the owners manual handy, but yes its to compromise the engine nose, what it says but road can fall under that catorgory to.

So you would suggest 4 gage wires from battery to alternator? So it doesnt burn the hell out of the alternator... but also if that isnt enoff you would suggest a larger alternator, and a Cap is just a little battery that help smooth things out (like monsteruos bass) for a short time, if this is correct then all you need to do is read this? or did i miss something?

Post Number: 373
-So you would suggest 4 gage wires from battery to alternator?

well you need the same size wiring for the alternator that you have the the amplifiers, since the alternator is the source of all power when the engine is running.

-but also if that isnt enoff you would suggest a larger alternator

you'll need a bigger alternator if yours doesn't produce enough current to maintain a steady voltage. the wiring is just to deliver that required current.

-and a Cap is just a little battery that help smooth things out (like monsteruos bass) for a short time

umm well not exactly. a battery actually produces energy through chemical reaction. a capacitor only stores energy, then releases it. a cap can only hold about 15 seconds of charge or so before it's depleated, and needs to be recharged by the battery or alternator. that's why a cap can't replace an alternator.. the cap discharges very quickly, then has to draw current itself, just like the audio system does.

the capacitor mainly makes the demands for power from the audio system more of a smooth, constant curve, instead of spikes in draw when as you noted, things like bass hit and need more power. what this does is put less strain on the alternator so that it lasts longer, in the long term, as long as the alternator is't being overworked to begin with, which is the key.

Anonymous

i have a 800-watt kenwood peak power amp with 435 watt rms with a monstar install kit with 4- gauge wire. Do I need a cap for my nissan 97 pickup extended cab? Also what kind of speakers should i get to replace the factory door and rears?

Jon Decker
Unregistered guest
what is your guy's take on the blaupunkt phoenix mp33 receiver?

Post Number: 426
-don't like blaupunkt
-don't like kenwood
-capacitors don't do anything. get a bigger alternator.
-look at CDT for good speakers that aren't overpriced.
they are on par with Infinity and MB Quart.

thumpinFord
Unregistered guest
i'm about to purchase a power acoustik a3000db... which claims 2300W RMS into a 1 ohm load, 1800 into 2. The vehicle this will be installed in has recently had a new alternator and battery installed, but not a high output alternator, and the battery is nothing special for that matter as well. Will I need any electrical system upgrades?

Post Number: 488
bigger alternator.

bk
Unregistered guest
after reading some posts from people thinking of using caps even though they seem to know nothing about them, I feel the need to give out a general saftey tip, Follow the directions on precharching and installing a cap that come with it. The amount of current an uncharged cap can draw is dangerously high.

Username: Kclskates

Post Number: 9
what kind of things will your system do If you need a power cap.

Post Number: 40
Come on Kevin, read some of the previous posts...Glasswolf already answered this question but I'll repost it for you:

"Jared, you never actually "need" a capacitor.
caps don't really do anything but smooth out spikes in demand for current. If your electrical system is lacking, the only fix is a larger alternator."

They look cool but they don't 'fix' anything.

Username: Kclskates

thanks for your help. people always told me if your alternator couldnt provide enough juice a power cap might help. nice to know the truth now.

thanks

Post Number: 515
without an electrcial engineering degree, or at elast a good grasp of electronics, it's easy to be misled or misinformed on things like capacitors.
They are heavily marketed, and seem like a good idea if you don't think through the actual circuit and see the problems.
It's common in car audio for folks to think a capacitor will solve the problems they have..
It's a shame that this misinformation is so widely fostered by the industry as well.

Unregistered guest
I'm planning to run 1 pair of Alpine SPR176A 50watt RMS rear and a 12in Xplod Subwoofer 300watt RMS. Thing is, I got myself a Lightning Audio B.400.4 4-channel amp. RMS 75x4, Bridged RMS 200x2.

I know you all are gonna say the Sony woofer sucks. Well it does. Hehe. But I'm kind of on a budget. I don't intend to get a second amplifier for the subwoofer. My question is, would there be ample power on the amplifier to supply the rear two speakers and subwoofer? My front components (Kenwood P503) will be powered by the pre-amps in the Head Unit.

Also is it a good practice to get an amp which has higher RMS then the speakers. Or is it the other way around.

Post Number: 64
Blueskyline, start a new thread please. This question does not relate to the topic.

Thanks! :c)

Unregistered guest
I have a 91 Tempo with a 70 amp alternator. I am running a 2200 watt max 1400 watt rms Boss Riot AMp to an Audiobahn 1300 wattt Flame Q 15" sub. What do I need to give it enough power. A cap a new alternator.

Username: Dr_crankenstein

Post Number: 9
Boss amps are crap. What you will need to power it is a new alternator. Caps are useless unless you have an alternator that can already handle the load and just want to smooth out the spikes. Your amplifier will draw about 130amps of current and your car needs at least 50amps so you will need an alternator of at least 180amps.

Christian
Unregistered guest
OK, First off, I am an MECP installer and work for two high end shops in the area. It is a general rule of thumb to have a capacitor for every 500 WATTS of power. Depending on the amperage of your alternator and having a deep cycle battery, it MAY not be necessory to encorporate a capacitor. Hope I've been of help.

Post Number: 736
Christian, capacitors are a sales gimmick.
they don't produce energy, they only store it.
If the alternator isn't up to par, the capacitors will be depleted within seconds of turning on the system anyway.
The deep cycle batteries will only help if placed on an isolator, and used for the audio system only when the car's engine is turned off.
they make poor starter batteries as they have very low cranking power.
They also add nothing when the engine is running as they are in a charging state at that point, and the alternator, once again, should be handling everything for electrical current supply.

capacitors are never neccessary.

ROCKY
Unregistered guest
I NEED ADVISE. I JUST PUT A 12 W7 AND A 900w ORION EXTREME SERIES AMP IN MY C 240 MERCEDES-BENZ. THE VOLUME IS CUTTING IN AND OUT. WHAT DO I DO?

Username: Dr_crankenstein

Post Number: 10
scroll up and read this whole thread and then get a new alternator.

Unregistered guest
I have a kicker 1200.1 and a L7 and i cant tell when the sub is pounding that it just drains my battery within a few seconds. how big of an alternator should i get? 180? or bigger?
Caps = Junk

swan
Unregistered guest
can* not cant my bad

Post Number: 795
getting 600 watts from the amp now for a 2 Ohm sub?
you'd want an alternator that's about 50-60A higher HOT rating than your present alternator.
go to something 100-120A larger than present if you plan to run the amp at 1 Ohm for 1200wRMS output.

josh elliott
Unregistered guest
where online can i find a highout put alternator? I heard u can rewind a stock alternator to like 200 amperes is that true?

Anonymous

I have a diamond D7401 1x800 @ 2 ohms mono pushing 1 tdx12d4. I also have a D7054 4X50 @ 4 ohms stereo pushing my mids and highs. What size of cap should I use. Thanks.....

Post Number: 798
Josh, how far you can push an alternator rewinding it depends on the alternator and how you modify it.
try
www.mralternator.com
www.alternatorparts.com
www.4alterstart.com

Unregistered guest
I have a 1994 honda civic. I'm running a kicker 12" 600w rms sub with a kenwood 8151d amp (kicking out 500w rms at 1 ohm - the sub is wired to 1 ohm), there is also a a alpine v12 amp kicking out 50w rms x 4 (4 ohm). there is a 4 guage power cable running from the battery to a distribution block and then 8 guage cables running into each amp. My lights dim a lot but i'm not sure how many farads i'll need on a power cap and wether to connect the power cap before the distribition block or just before the kenwood amp? plz help

Anonymous

Akahn, scroll up and read.

Unregistered guest
I have 2 12' volfenhag subs, and 2 1200 watts 4 channel volfenhag amps, i also have a power cap which is 1 farad i believe, everything is hooked up 100% right, but the power cap is not working. WHY?

Unregistered guest
I spent some good money on some audiobahn subs 400 watts rms each (2) but i cheaped out on the amp. Its a pyramid blue amp i bought on ebay for like 70 bucks. it says it has 1000 watts but it doesnt seem like i am getting near the powere i should get. my lights do dim pretty bad sometimes. can someone tell me if i need a new amp or should just upgrade my powere cables on my battery

Post Number: 77
Hontzy, the Pyramid amp will not make as much power as it claims but it should power the subs well enough considering the money you spent.

Make sure the amp has sufficient power cable running back to it (4ga for that kind of power is safe) and make sure you have a good solid ground. Check with a meter instead of just looking at it and deciding it is OK. Make sure the amp has it's switches set properly and that the speakers are wired up as they should be. Don't push that amp any harder than 4-ohm stereo...it may be capable of it but the less expensive amps add so much noise at low impedence that it's just not worth the extra power you may gain.

Your lights are probably dimming because (let me guess...) you have an 8-ga wiring kit running to that amp and it just can't pull enough power to work properly. Try turning down the gain(s) on the amp and turn down the bass on the HU. Mess with the settings at low volume to see where you need to be, just take your time and be methodical about it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 994
gains have no aeffect on the amount of power the amp puts out or the current it draws.
you need a larger alternator. period.
that "1000W" amp is actually putting out about 200W x 2, most likely.
that amp would be fine with a 4AWG wiring kit, and a properly sized high output alternator.

Unregistered guest
im ganna b running 3200 watts two sony p5 d1000p5 amps and 2 XS-L1290P5 12" what would be the best way to keep power going in to these amps, oh yea im in a 04 lancer.

Mbtt
Unregistered guest
do i need a head unit for an amp to work i have a boss ripper-895

Unregistered guest
(mbtt)you might not need a new one just as long as you have a sub or line out on the one you have thats just the best way to go. if you dont have either you could use high level inputs which means that you would have to run a wire from your rear speakers or from the back of your head unit now(left and right rear), to your high level input on your amp. but you dont get as high quality that way, like i said low level is the best way to go(line out on the back of your head unit they would be rca out puts).

Bronze Member
Username: Gecko

Post Number: 26
I just wanted to add a few things to this thread that are mostly on topic:
1. ALWAYS precharge a capacitor through a resistor before installing it in the car.
2. Caps will not solve insufficiant power.
3. A ground connection for an amp is just as important as the power going to it, maybe even more, so TRIPLE check your ground points to get the best connection possible.
4. Uprgrading the wiring from the alternator to the battery is great and should always be done AS LONG AS you also upgrade the wiring from the battery to the chassis with the same guage wire.

Just remeber the electrical circuit for your amp has to be a complete circle for the power and the the electricity should be able to flow back to the battery (ground path) just as easily as it is flowing from the battery to the amp.

Otherwise there was good info here, hope I can help answer questions as well as Glass has been.

-Pete

kc
Unregistered guest
i have (2) AudioBAhn Flame Q's at 1100 rms each...and i might get a Legacy Amp at 2400 watts..do i need a cap.?

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 162
NO SIR YOU NEED A NEW AMP

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 78
I made this 'thread' was a simple FYI. Now it seems to be a gathering place for the brainless.

If you won't read the answers already here, what's the poing in answering the same daamn thing again?

Unregistered guest
speaking of cars... I have a mediocre 83 rabbit. I want to be able to make music play in it but the electrical system is complete trash. What is the deal with the 8 and 4 gauge wires, and would a new alternator do anything. I don't want to blow out all my fuses or light on fire or anything. I got a cd/mps player and it seems to be a piece. It is a legacy lcd95mp3. It skips a lot and takes forever to do things. Is this because it isn't getting enough power, or is it just junk.

Legacy sucks
Unregistered guest
Legacy is complete junk. Pawn shop Brand. Not trying to diss on you or anything, but I would start by replacing it.

Anonymous

I HAVE A 1982 CADILLAC COUPLE DEVILLE WITH A 1200 WATT AMPLIFIER WITH SOME 12" VISONIK'S I WAS WONDERING IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO NOT HAVE TO RUN A CAPACITOR TO THE AMPLIFIER. I HAD SOME 15" SONY SUBS IN IT THE LAST TIME WITH THE SAME KIND OF AMP AND I HAD TO REPLACE MY ALTERNATOR LIKE EVERY WEEK IS THER ANYTHING I CAN DO DIFFERENT THIS TIME AROUND.

Anonymous

anynomous, 1200 watts will need a HO alternator. Stop replacing the puny stock alternator with a new puny stock alternator...get one rated at least 150amps, more if you can find one.

If you have a cheap amp kit with 8-ga power cable, that probably contributes. Use at least 4-ga for both power and ground. Making your alternator feed a 1200 watt amp through a drinking straw is asking a lot don't you think?

Maybe turn it down sometimes?

bill
Unregistered guest
I read this hole thing and this Glass wolf must own stock in alternaters because he really wants every one to buy one. Ha Ha you dont need an alternator you need a new amp and bigger wire. and a ring on the battery and forks for the amp and 12awg speaker wire or bigger if you have a crap box get a better one. a new alternator is no good if you have bad connections if that is no good get an alternator Ha Ha clean it all up.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1597
if you have big amplifiers, you should have proper wiring and connections already.
the only source of current when the engine is running is teh alternator.
if you think a stock 65A alternator is going to handle a 1200+ watt system, you're on crack.
go back to your shadetree mechanic school.
learn a little about cars, and about electrical basics.

Username: Charliegone

Hi, I just installed my amp and woofers in my car. I have 2 10" mtx t6000 at 250rms each and a kenwood kac-729s rms (has 2 fuses of 20a)of 300watts x2. I'm only running the kenwood at about 1/4 of the power, and I seem to be having problems or maybe no problems thats why I'm here :-). Well the sound is good, but whenever I use the electrical components like the ac or turn the light on in my car the lights will dim slightly with the system up in higher volumes. In lower volumes it doesn't do it at all. The thing that puzzles me is I have a 2000 corolla that has an 80amp altenator, shouldn't that be enough for the system? Or do I need a cap? Or is it the wiring (I'm using 8gauge wiring as power). Please help!

BILL
Unregistered guest
CARLOS BIGGER ALTERNATOR GLASSWOLF HAS WEB SITES POSTED ON HERE?? BIGGER WIRE WILL HELP??

Post Number: 5
Well the thing that puzzles me is that the corolla is at 80amps and w/ the system installed I should still have enough power in the alt. to be distributed. I don't understand why my lights dim when i crank it up. I mean is it the current going to my amps not enough w 8 gauge wiring? or is it simply that I need a new altenator?

Bill
Unregistered guest
Glasswolf I have a 91 sunbird with a 65A alternator I am getting 1000x1ppi and a 1000x4ppi dcx amps I know I need a way bigger alternator!! but do you know what size fuses are on these amps? just curious dont I take the rms I am running and divide it by 12 and add it to my stock 65a rating or am I wrong. and I have had a big amp in this car for 3 year and have the same alternator I just dont misuse it!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1608
Carlos, what makes you think your 80A alternator has enough reserve to handle 40A of current draw from an aftermarket amplifier? That's half the output of the alternator, and that same alternator still has to handle the load from the car itself.

Bill, if the amps are class D, take the rated output of the amplifiers (at the load presented, so for 2 Ohms, if that's how they will be run) in watts, and divide by 12. Then add an additional 20% for class D amplifiers for efficiency.
that'll give you the current draw of the amplifiers at peak output (full volume)
do this for each amp separately and it should give you an approximate fuse value for that amp as well.

Post Number: 6
Ok thanks glasswolf for you info It was very helpful. I'm gonna get a higher output alt to fix the problem.

MR. DUB 3'z
Unregistered guest
i have an alpine mrd m500 V12 mono-block class d amp (500rms @ 2ohms) powering my two JL 12w3v2D2's (300rms each) and my lights seems to flicker every now and then when i bump my music... should i get a capacitor??

Unregistered guest
I'm buying a sound system for my 91 jeep cherokee. 2x FBX-12 Power Acoustik 12" 700watt RMS, a Power Acoustik PS21200 2 Channel Power Series amp (600watt RMS), and a sony M800 cd receiver. Takign into account the ancientness of my jeep, and lack of funds for a new alternator, what should I do to ensure decent sound quality (block-rocking, lol) without stressing my electrical system?

BTW, should i replace the Jensen 4" stock speakers in the door panels while I'm at it?

email suggestions appreciated: dosjunkie@hotmail.com

Bronze Member

Dub you might need a high output alt. just look at the thread above you. Familarizing myself with alts I found for louder systems you car will need an ho (high output) alternator. Also, is that the only amp you have in your car? I've also heard a battery with better cranking power will help, but I'm not sure about that. Dos, if I'm correct the jeep's alternator is about 90 amps. With a 600 watt rms sound system you will probably need more than 90 amps. Look at this webpage for the alternator.
http://www.mralternator.com/alternators/jeep.html
I think thats a pretty good price for a ho alternator with that much amperage. As for the Jensen stock speakers, it depends if you are happy with the way they sound. If not then replace them with more powerful or better quality ones.

Unregistered guest
what would happen if i stuck with the alternator I have now? (it's not stock, i had it replaced... no idea on amperage)

any electricla destruction, disturbance, fuse problems?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Hmmm well it depends on how you use your sound system. If your'e a bass head (like I am) you like your music loud. That kind of listening habit will result in a lot usage from your subs and amps at high volumes. Well if its not stock then you can check it yourself. If usually has a tag of some sort to tell you the amperage that the alternator has. Take it this way 600 rms divide it by 12 (which is about the current voltage draw I believe of some cars) you get 50 amps. Your alternator might handle it for a while, but will start to go downhill. Your car might not start one day either because your battery is drained or your alternator is dead. IF you want to be on the safe side buy the alternator first then get the sound system. I should've done that, but now I'm out on money and have no idea how many more months or days my alternator has. As for fuse problems and other disturbances. Yes you will defintely get blink lights to the beat of the music and maybe other, but again it depends on how you use it. When that happens it might, or rather will damage your alternator. In previous experiences with car sound systems my brother had a nice sounding sound system back in 95 on his 95 cavalier. The sound system had a about a 600w rms amp running his 2 12" JL's and they sounded great! The people that installed it also "suggested" a cap and so my brother (having not much experience with sound systems) got it. Did it protect his sound system and his alternator you might ask? The answer is absoultely not. He got blinking lights even with the cap. His alternator finally went out in about 1 month after the sound system. 2000 bucks down the drain just because of having no knowledge on car sound systems, him and his installers.

DOS_Junkie
Unregistered guest
that sounds alot like me... unfortunately.

I want a rocking system but don't want to pay for another autbody alternator bill... eugh! that was haggard on my wallet. But yea, i'll check for a tag. what would be the lowest amp on the alternator that would be safe to use (if i don't use my subs all the way up)?

Anonymous

i have 2 12 inch rockford fosgates and a 400 watt jesen amp with 8 guage cabels. do i need 4 guage cabels? for a 95 thunderbird? so my alternator want die.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hmm for 400 watts 8 gauge should be enough. It depends on what the manufacturer recommendation. Usually they are right, but then again it depends on usage. As for the alternator, it will suck up power no matter what guage of cable you use. If you have a good electrical system there won't be much worry.

Vincent
Unregistered guest
i have a 12" JL W7 750 watt RMS run by a 1500 watt phoenix gold octane R. i drive a TL, do you think i need a cap, and if so, what kind?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Man your gonna need more than a cap. With that much power plus what the car has to handle, your car's alternator and battery will go out fast. Think about changer alternator or maybe battery.

Unregistered guest
hello my name is jacob and i've been reading alot of these post but still have some questions if you dont mind. i own a 1985 pontiac fiero gt. i just bought a new alternator with a lifetime warranty and dont know how many amps it puts out as well the new battery i bought. i am pushing 2 10" sony explodes (i know they suck) with 400 watt max output(im not sure the rms on any of these) and a rockford fosgate 301s with a 900 watt output, also a kenwood kdc mp-922 i believe with a 200 watt output. i think ever since i installed the stereo system that caused for my orginal alternator to go, then i bought one with a 3 year warranty remanufactured and about 2 weeks later that one went. now i have the new alternator with the lifetime warranty and it seems as if the amp is draining to much power.the system was hitting hard and now it seems like its not hitting as hard as it was when the battery had its full charge, and sometimes my check battery light comes on. i was wondering what should i do? what is the cheapest and most reliable way to solve this problem? please spell things out for me as i am very new to the stereo system lingo and would love to futher my knowledge. thank you very much

Username: Kennyman

Post Number: 3
I had the same problem in my 86 caddy. Before I put my system in everything was fine, once it was in I went through three alternators. your going to need a new alternator not your local auto parts kind, one with a higher amp rating than your stock. 80a is not going to get it. the standard alt. was designed to power the car only not any aftermarket deals you may add. If this does not help then you have a wiring problem in your charging system. It's normally a wire or harness coming from your voltage requlator, but watch out these wire can run everywere. I traced my wiring problem all the way to my no charging light in my dash, the contacts were basically fried. I would have never thought to look there

Unregistered guest
so how exactly do i begin looking for one of these special alternators? what kind do i need, and what do i look for? also how much will this cost me? thank you very much for your fast response i appreciate it alot. thanks

Jacob
Unregistered guest
is there any other solutions besides buying a better alternator? thanks

Username: Kennyman

Post Number: 6
look farther up in this thread for glasswolf, there are a few links to some good sites

Jacob
Unregistered guest
oh okay thanx, still a little confusing but it looks like i mite have to buy a new alternator, hmm.. thats alot of money, alot of money i dont have. if there is anything else that i can do anyone please let me know, i'll be checking in frequently. kenny thanx for the fast help to my problems.

Unregistered guest
hey there, i drive a 96 chevy cavalier Z24 and i have a kicker 12" L7 Dual 4-ohm with an alpine CDA 7873 (60 X 4 RMS) and a rockford fosgate 1000bd (1000 X 1 RMS)that runs my sub and i am about to get all of this installed by a store near my house. I am not sure what kind of an alternator my car has but it is probably stock. Am i going to have to buy a new HO alternator or will a 1 farad capacitor be fine?

Username: Maynardisgod

Post Number: 4
i had an mtx 55x4 amp with 2 mtx 10's and my rear 6x9's hooked up to it, i recently installed a kenwood 460x1 (4 ohms) RMS for my subs then i hooked my 2 front speakers up to my mtx 4 channel, along with the 6x9's. I have it all up and running except for one problem. When i crank the volume, the sound from my speakers gets more distorted as the volume gets louder, the bass seems to be fine. But when i turn off the kenwwod amp my sound is perfect, no distortion. I don't listen to rap so i don't care for a big boom from my subs, i just want them for kick drum and low bass, but i want to be able to crank my music without it distorting... what seems to be my problem?

Jacob
Unregistered guest
ok i just found out i have a 94a alternator, so i believe that should be enough to push what i have as stated earlier in this thread ( like read 3 up) so is my alternator good enough? or what do i need because i believe my system is killing my alternator or i could be wrong? just dont want to kill me new alternator so i havent really used my amp that much since i got the new alternator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hmm well Jacob the rockford fosgate is pretty power hungry amp. If I'm right it has about a 30 amp fuse which should be what it is sucking up. The alternator might "say" it is at 94 amps, but is actually much less than that. The idle power, i believe is more important than the highway power. Usually the amp will put out 94amps less 10% of the total (94a). That will not be enough for the car and the sound system. You might need to upgrade that alternator to a more powerful one like say 20 amps or more you should be fine. Also I have heard that alternators can be rewinded to produce more amperage, but I'm not sure how that works. As for other solutions you might want to change wiring in your car and maybe the battery. Good luck!

Derek, you will need a very high powered alternator (say about 150amps or more) a capacitor will do nothing to save it. The alternator is a better choice.

If you are running a fosgate amp at 1000 watts rms, that thing will probably use A LOT, i mean a lot of power. Also isn't the L7 750watts rms? If you run 1000watts to it it might blow up. You might want to get a less powerful amp, which will also be less strain on your electrical system. For you info you the cavalier, I believe has a 90 or 95a alternator.

Jim jionk it is probably the gains on your amp. You might need to bring it down. You should do this. Bring the gains down in both your amps and bring the volume up to almost full. Now turn the gains up. If the speakers start to pop bring it down just a few turns then do the same with the others. Also that should be the volume that you should go at the most. Also I forgot, bring the treble and bass down to 0 also turn off the loud (If any). If that doesn't fix the distortion then it might be the wiring in the car. Sometimes it sounds bad due to not so good wiring. Using better wire for the speakers will improve performance.

Username: Speakerbox

Post Number: 5
Damn GlassWolf, what classes did you take?

You're some type of human refference guide.

How about this, I'm trying to figure out a problem with someone's sound system on a 96' or 98' Grand Am. I seen the amp (I'm sure it was a 300 - 350 watt amp but I could tell it was cheap) and some swap meet 10" subs which I've never seen the name brand and I'm sure it's extremely cheap. He had it working for a while and it started turning off within 3 days of installation.

I checked the speaker wires and noticed he has the front and back speakers plus the subs all connected, and I seen how the connection of the RCA adapter was plugged in the back speakers. I'm assuming that might be the reason why his speakers were turning off.

I checked the remote wire to be sure, it was plugged in the back of his stock cd/radio (normal blue wire) but this is the first time I've seen a cheap installation so I'm not sure which is the problem.

I'm used to just running the wires, plugging in the RCA's in a non-stock radio so I don't know where to look for the problem.

The amp doesn't turn on anymore, but the system in the car works fine. I'm debating if it's a fuse that's out, or the remote wire is supposed to be connected differently, or if something is broken. He said the subs worked fine when they were installed then turned off and on.

I was told I should just disconnect the front or back speakers and splice the RCA adapter wires from that point.

Since I noticed the amp was off I'm going to replace the power chord fuse and see if it still works, if it does I'll ask him in a week if his system still works, if not I'm sure it's the power chord gague.

Right now I'm just going to replace the fuse in the power chord and in the back of the amp, if you have any ideas it would be appriciated.

This is the first time I've even seen a system done on a stock radio. Lucky for me I had to replace the front speakers in my own car and already know how the wiring is.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2106
I'm going to move that one to a new thread, Speakerbox.
in reference to your first question, I'm an EE, and MECP master installer. Been at it since the late 80s. Most of it's just experience.

anyway, this thread needs to die.. really.
folks, please, just post a new thread to ask things.. quit adding to a 100+ post thread with new questions.
thank you

Jacob
Unregistered guest
im new glasswolf so i wouldnt know exactly how to start a new thread. thank you carlos for the help, what about if i were to switch to a kenwood 2 channel 600 watt amp? also i am going to be changing my ground and power to a 4 gauge. also whats a good sign my alternator is going to give? that way i can turn off the amp way before so i dont have to buy another alternator, i was thinking of buying a 108a, let me know what you think anyone. thank you again

Username: Mody

Kansas, Mo Usa

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys, This is my first time here, I have the new pioneer DEH-P9600MP in my car and its an awesom stereo with 6X9 infiniti 300 watts speakers, but i have one main problem that when i slow down the volume goes down but the number on the screen stays the same and same thing when I speed up the volume will go back higher, is it the alternator or somthin?? And I also have two 10" Infinity subs 1000w with 250 RMS, but I need your help to know how many watts or RMS the Amp that I need to buy should have to beat them and would i need a Cap knowing that I DONT turn the music real high. Thank you

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2360
mody, that's a feature to compensate for road noise.
read the pioneer's manual for how to disable that feature.

Jacob, what you're asking is like asking your doctor what signs to look for while you're smoking so you can stop right before you get lung cancer.
if the alternator is too weak, replace it. now. with one large enough for the job.
if the voltage isn't dropping you're fine.

Username: Mody

Kansas, Mo Usa

Please Wolf, what you think about my question, "I have two 10' Infinity subs 1000w with 250 RMS, but I need your help to know how many watts or RMS the Amp that I need to buy should have to beat them and would i need a Cap knowing that I DONT turn the music real high". Thank you

Audiobahn user
Unregistered guest
i just bought 2 audiobahn flame excursion subs (1100 watts rms a piece), 2 2000 watt audiobahn mono amps, a set of 400 watt 6x9's and a set of 4x6's. im guessing im gonna replace the battery but i was wondering how many caps would i need for that setup?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2368
people, start your own new threads, PLEASE.

capacitors won't help you. they are a gimmick.

I'm done looking at this thread.

Unregistered guest
I recently put 2 12 inch audiobahn alum12q subwoofers rated at 1000watts rms in my 1993 ford probe. This is all connected to an audiobahn a2150hct amplifier at 1200x1 watts. When the bass hits my lights flicker and the battery slowly drains. What would u suggest I do to solve this problem?

jayjay
Unregistered guest
GET A BIGGER ALTERNATOR

Unregistered guest
ok..been reading alot here..good stuff..

question..

right now i have two 12 inch audiobahn subs that push a total of 800rms watts [400 each]..

my amp is a boss ripper that pushes 210x2 rms watts..so basically right now my system is running at half of its full potential..but still pounds nice..

so about in 2 weeks..after i sell my boss ripper amp and old boss subs..im getting 2 amps..audiobahn amps..1 for each sub..keep in mind my subs are 400rms watts each and i cant find an ONE amp that will power both subs to full potential...so i need 2 amps...the new audiobahn amps will push i think 510rms watts x1 @4 ohms

so its just what i need...

question is...do i need a capacitor...if so...a .5 or 1...can somebody explain exactly what a capacitor does..ive heard many different explanations..such as it stores power for when your system needs it..i heard it will store power so the system wont drain your battery...ect...

and i know im going to need new wires for the 2 amps and everything...

is this a good choice to for the 2 amps..
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?a=1&s=0&cc=01&g=12 8900&id=detailed_info&i=211PS4B

and one more thing..lol..i heard you can connect your rear deck 6x9 speakers to the amp..that will make em perform better...i got pioneers...sound nice already but i never knew i could connect them to the amp somehow...if possible..how would that work...what wires to what...

if somebody can make sense of the mumble jumble i posted...feel free to respond...

thanks in advance..

j.

jj
Unregistered guest
we would if you would start a new thread

jjj
Unregistered guest
i think we all need power caps in many aspects of our lives, my favorite use for mine is prodding my girlfriend when im riding her

Anonymous

you must not know what your doing then.

mary ellen walton
Unregistered guest
please finish this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Hello. I have a mint-condit. 1985 Honda Accord lx. I am putting in 2 12" Kicker VR subs powered by an audiofonics 1500 W amp at 600x1. I think the alternator I currently have is 65 A. Will I need to uprgade my alternator and if so to what and where could I find one that high powered for my car? Also, if I update the alternator will I also need a better battery like a red top??? I want the system to work and not kill my alternator, but I also don't want to spend a fortune on a car that's not worth much to begin with. Any suggestions? Thanks much!

Unregistered guest
I'm getting 2 AWT12X's and 2 boss PD-4000's. 1 for each sub. What battery caps, or battery will I need. I have a 99 Nissan Altima. Will I also have to upgrade my alternator.

Bob gordan
Unregistered guest
I'v just bought a 10w7 in a prowedge box. I also bought a 500/1 jl amp, do i need a capacitor???

Cappamania
Unregistered guest
just to let you guys know...

the best cap ever made worldwide and from the people who invented it...brax & helix is the name....

there is NONE who could get even close of how fast these things deliver their load...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us