Edead

Gold Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey 15 inch Alph...

Post Number: 1170
i wanna edead my trunk. they have like 3 or 4 types of it on ed's site. which kind is best (not looking to spend alot)jsut wanna stop all the trunk rattle because it sounds like azz on the outside. i was looking at this.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24&products_id=572
also how much should i order(just need enough for the trunk) thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2409
I have 3 layers of V1SE^2 throught most of my car and it does the job. Do some rough measurements in your trunk to get an idea of how much you will need. I would do at least 2 layers of it, maybe 3 on the hatch itself.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1323
don't use eDead, it peels off

get RAAMat BXT

Gold Member

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2411
If you put it on right Edead works just fine. Ive had mine for a couple years and its still perfect.

I do like Raamat also.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1176
ok thanks guys. do you have a link i could go to to purchase the raamat bxt for the best price?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18333
well i've had edead before and it didn't peel off. the first version did. the one with the asphalt smell. but the second one stayed on.

now the only problem i have with edead is that its not thick. you practically have to do a 2 layer if not 3 layers to achieve same as the good stuff.

i am using stinger roadkill and that stuff is just awesome. if you can't take my word for it then ask bernymac.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1324
i took the time and applied the eDead correctly

took me 14 hours to to the doors and trunk

during summertime it peeled

RAAMat BXT did not

Gold Member

Post Number: 1325
and might i add many ppl on ca.com have had the SAME issues as me

Gold Member

Post Number: 1177
ok guys thanks for the advice. where can i order raamat bxt and or stinger roadkill for a good price. not looking to spend more than 100. only wanna do the trunk

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18339
ebay has some stinger road kill. it comes in sheets and not rolls. the price is pretty good.

Gold Member

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2413
Chadly x2 on the stinger roadkill if i had to redo my car i would def use that.

Mike i dont know what version of Edead you were using but ive done several cars with the V1SE^2 and never had a single problem with it. St. Louis has pretty diverse temperatures (hits 100 in the summer and gets down into the teens and sometimes even colder in winter) and mine doesnt peal. Like Chad said you do need to use several layers to make it work, which does suck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1179
thanks chad

Gold Member

Post Number: 1181
and jake and mike lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1182
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1333027/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046

think that would be enough for my trunk?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1493
FROM www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

SBR(styrene-butadiene-rubber)/Asphalt
This is the least expensive material to use. It is predominantly asphalt with a latex polymer, the SBR part, added for stability. Asphalt has one virtue. It is cheap. They make roads out of it. Unfortunately, it has several negative features that limit its usefulness for our purposes. It melts at a relatively low temperature. It becomes brittle at a relatively high temperature. Both states are bad for us. Optimum viscoelasticity requires that the material not be liquid or solid. Basic mass loading requires that the material adhere to the surface we want it to. If it melts, it will fall off vertical or inverted surfaces. If it becomes brittle, it is susceptible to detaching under normal vibrations.

The rubber compound is added to the asphalt to stabilize it. SBR/asphalt melts at a higher temperature and becomes brittle at a lower temperature than plain or "neat" asphalt. This doesn't completely solve the problem. SBR is subject to long term deterioration at temperatures that are possible in a car.

When I started this investigation, one of my primary objectives was to figure out why so many people seemed to have trouble with their mat falling off. If you search the Web for sound deadener falling off, you will see lots of cases of asphalt mats failing and no failures that I have been able to find involving butyl based mats. It just isn't possible that user error would be so neatly divided.

I looked at the specifications for products developed for roofing, which many of the products in this category began life as, I saw the problem. Roofing materials are designed to withstand temperatures of 158°F for two weeks without melting. Manufacturers supply butyl products for situations that will either exceed this temperature or duration. Extend the time and the maximum sustainable temperature falls. This explains why some people have had success with asphalt mats for a few years, only to have them fail in a subsequent year. Failure can be disastrous. If you're lucky, the mat will just fall off. If you're not, it will melt - pools of asphalt in your carpet or upholstery or window mechanism.

Another problem with asphalt mats is the smell. You should be fine during cool weather, but on a hot day, they tend to smell like, well asphalt.

Peel & Seal and Jiffy Seal are roofing products that fit in this category. Many people buy them for sound deadening. Of the products I tested, B-Quiet Extreme, Brown Bread, Dynamat Original, eDead v1, eDead v1SE and FatMat are in this group. Many people report great success with one or more of these mats. They are certainly the cheapest option. If you know your car will never be exposed to extreme heat or cold, they may work for you. I'm not suggesting that all of these products have a 100% failure rate under extreme conditions, but I do believe they are risky. Their narrower temperature range also means they will be less effective the farther they get from room temperature. I would not use any of these products in my car.

Butyl with Asphalt filler
I tested two products in this category - B-Quiet Ultimate and RAAMmat BXT. The adhesive layer is butyl for greater temperature resistance and odor control than the SBR/Asphalt mats. Asphalt is added to the butyl to add mass because it is inexpensive. This reduces the beneficial aspects of butyl to some extent, but they are demonstrably superior to the SBR/Asphalt products. They melt at a substantially higher temperature and stay flexible to a lower temperature.

The asphalt content makes these mats less expensive than the products in the next category. If you want to save money and still get a product that will be reliable, this is the category to pick. Please don't confuse products in this category with the asphalt mats described above. If there were only two categories, these mats would be grouped with the next. They have none of the problems associated with the SBR/Asphalt mats. The asphalt is suspended in a nearly inert state and only serves to add mass and control costs.

Butyl with a non-asphalt filler.
Products in this category match a butyl base with a non-asphalt filler to add mass. The mats I tested have a higher butyl content than the butyl with asphalt mats and are therefore more expensive. Second Skin Damplifier, Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme fall into this group. I'm also looking forward to samples being sent by Cascade that have similar properties.

These are the elite sound deadeners. They have the heaviest aluminum foil constraining layers and are the most expensive to manufacture. They have heat tolerances significantly higher than any of the other products I tested, with the Second Skin products having the highest tolerance of all. If your mat is going to be exposed to extreme conditions or if you are willing to pay more to squeeze that last bit of performance out of your efforts, these are the mats for you.

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18342
should be. all you need is one layer of this stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5864
you are aware that that showdown is a little over 2 years old now and that alot of the products tested are changed now right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1183
cool. i just wanna do the floor of my trunk and the top of the trunk. ill order some 2morrow. thanks again :-)

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1494
yea im aware of how old it is. but im just showing what the difference between the two types are and what might be better for what kind of conditions there are.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13859
I have used edead and peel and seal..never fell off...did use 3 layers of each...but no problems...

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5464
now im scared to use peal and seal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1326
i sent Elemental Designs pictures of it peeling

and guess what

they had no response