Port area question...

Silver Member
Username: Spankinurwoofers

GR, MI US

Post Number: 270
What port area would be good for 2 older 12" CVR's
on 800 wrms(total)??? Or is there a general rule for port area?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 549
The general rule/accepted standard is 12" to 16" inches of port area per cubic foot.

Personally, I based port area on the max wattage going to be used and then design the port with the proper amount of port area so the " vent mach " of the port will not create port noise.

I try to hold the vent mach around 80ft/sec but I try not to go any lower 65ft/sec.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 271
Don't really know a lot about this...lol. What's 'vent mach' and how would you calculate it(to be within that range)?

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 272
well, for the cvr's...I've got a design for the box i'm making, and the port is 2.5" wide x 12.5" high, so 31.25 sq.in. of port(length is 13.5" i think...tuned to 33 Hz)

Would this work, or have port noise...any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8019
youll be fine on 800 rms with 1000 watts if you dont have the amp yet and want to over power them youll be on the boarder line of phils mach speed rec.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 273
I've already got the amp, everythings setup just in a sealed box right now. Thanks sean.

So, for my next setup, 2 12" RE SE's and 1600 wrms...what should the port area be? (same as other box)volume is 4 cu.ft. and tuning is 33 Hz, just more power.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 550
50 to 60 sq.in. of port area will do the job.

" I've already got the amp, everythings setup just in a sealed box right now. Thanks sean.

So, for my next setup, 2 12" RE SE's and 1600 wrms...what should the port area be? (same as other box)volume is 4 cu.ft. and tuning is 33 Hz, just more power."

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 274
Thanks woodlawn and sean, will post pics once i'm building
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us