Capacitor on headlight circuit to elimate dimming. Discuss

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3428
Whats your thoughts on that idea? A cap on the headlights will supply voltage to just the head lights, thus eliminating or reducing the dimming.

Bronze Member
Username: Bumpin_buick

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 98
you have 3428 posts and your talking about caps still?

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1216
if anything i would put a voltage reg on the headlight curcuit to prevent dimming. the only advantage i see to having a cap is to reduce strain on your stock battery but if you have an upgraded bat then it prob wont make any difference at all. either way you need to get a HO alt.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3429
well, let me just clearify. This is just a discussion idea. It is not that I have a dimming problem. This is a new idea that is posted in the April CA&E mag. Derek Lee, the Q&A guy is willing to wire one up for some one as a test. So if you live in northern NY, CA area contact him to have it Done.

I just wanted to hear what ppl thought of the idea. In theory it seems like it would work.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1219
if he does it for free ill give it a shot i live in rochester ny i guess its kinda upstate.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6246
" if anything i would put a voltage reg on the headlight curcuit to prevent dimming "

Mark no offense but if you don't know what you're talkin about don't post

BTW the cap ain't going to work........ I'll bet on that.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6247
What is it with people these days with huge azz rims and tires about the thickness of a rubber band........... looks retarded

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 1117
I agree With M.S.

Also its harder to drive turn and order food from drive threws say a lil car on like 22's look stupid

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1573
The cap will work, I do it all the time for customers, been doin it for years.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1439
What gets me is that people will automatically put down a cap because they heard some1 else put it down without even testing it for themselves.
A cap WILL help in certain situations. I've had friends that had a 700rms system or so and had a little dimming. They put a cap on it and dimming was completely gone and voltage was staying way above 13v. A HO alt isn't the answer to everything about a charging system.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6253
WTF that second comment about the rims I posted in a different thead and it come up here........... this pos forum

zac:
Please explain exactly what you have done?

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1574
No no.
Wire it in with the actual headlight circuit.

The first time I attempted this I used a 500uF capacitor with 6 3amp diodes on a Monte Carlo SS haha. Worked just fine, kinda. :P

Figure out how I did it, its simple. Try it.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6254
Ahhhh, you used diodes......... I was think about that, and was thinking that could possibly work.

So whats kinda...... did it work well?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3430
You would need a diode to keep the voltage from back feeding the alt, bat. Also a relay to disconnect the cap from lights when lights are off. Then a resister on the primary side to keep the cap charged when the lights are off. When the relay engages, it will connect the full cap. That way there is no waiting for the cap to charge. Its all in the April issue of CA&E in the trouble shooting page. And if your interested in being a test car, E-Mail dereklee@mobiledynamics.com
He was looking for ppl in the New York/Onterio area.
I thought it was a interesting idea, and Zac, How did you come across this idea? Were the result of the mod enough to keep the lights from dimming? And I assume the alt was keeping the audio voltage up, but was just not able to supply voltage fast enough to prevent dimming.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6262
Hmm, when I get time I'm gonna experiment with this. What you are saying makes sense in theory.

I knew just using a capacitor and nothing else wouldn't work though.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 497
Mark Scafetta, i also live in rochester. where about do you live?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1223
i live in mendon ot be exact. where you at?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1224
sh1t i just checked your pro and you got to MCC? thats where i go lol.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 499
Nice , i live in Henrietta. You go to any of the car shows around during the spring/summer?

(BJ's parking lot, Hot-to-trot in gates, Hudson Ave Walmart, Log Cabin out by syracuse?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us