1 12" vs. 2 12"

Silver Member
Username: Evoixmr

Post Number: 134
just curious, how much of a db gain do you get from adding a second sub.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5448
3 dbs in theory.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
that's it 3 db?

Thats good to hear, I was worried my system wouldn't hit hard with just one.

Why do most have two?

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5449
why do most what have two of what???

thats it 3dbs???lol i really dont think you grasp the concept of getting louder is hard.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 495
lol and 3dbs is an estimate, its usually less.

just like doubling the power gives you "3dbs" increase, but causes more heat and lowers your output.

And if you add more subwoofers and decrease the enclosure volume per subwoofer by doing so, your output won't increase as much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
"why do most what have two of what???"

Why do most ppl have two subs, instead of one.

"thats it 3dbs???lol i really dont think you grasp the concept of getting louder is hard."

if your trying to get your system loud as you can 3db is a huge gain. but if you read the post, I said I was worried my system wouldnt hit hard with just one sub. If the only difference is 3db my system will still hit good.

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

Team revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 839
3 db is twice as loud audibly, 1 12 can hit very hard i know, 147db with a single 12 on 1500w

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4422
well acually 6-10 db is twice as loud. but going from 1 12 o 2 12s, given that you have the spce to do so and that you arent changing from ported to sealed, will give you a noticeable difference. What your looking over is the fact that generallywhen people run 2 subs instead of 1 they are also doubling ther power. that is another 3 db. so now you are twice as loud, generally speaking. sorry for all the missng leters i think my wireless needs new batteries.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
would I notice a huge difference audibly between 1 12" Q sealed and 2 12" Q's sealed in the trunk. would it be twice as loud w/ 2 subs

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
how much louder is 1 12" Q ported than 1 12" Q sealed

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4431
your first question: given you have enough room to run 2 12s properly over one and they are both sealed. yes, you would notice that it is louder. say for example you were going to run a 1000wrms amp to the single 12. are you going to get 2 of those amps now? if so that would be a huge difference form your single 12.

second: 1 12inch Q ported is appx 3db louder than the single 12 sealed givent he same power. the ported application has MANY variables though. you CAN be louder lower with a certain ported box, and with another be louder on the low end with the sealed box. you also CAN gain like 10db at a certain frequency in a really well designed one note wonder box over a sealed box. Its all in the install.

nonetheless, aren't Qs not the greatest sealed? I thought I remembered them being much better off ported. correct me if I'm wrong.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4432
also, remeber that a certain box hitting 140 on the meter might sound louder to your ear than a box hitting 150 on the meter. It depends what the box is made for. generally a daily ported box will sound louder to the ear and meter over a sealed box. the competition style box may sound not as loud to the ear but yet still win on the meter. I'm assuming your going for an "ear" application.

good example is:
http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/Various/termlab.1.wmv

Silver Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 102
i'm going to be getting the same sub and doing one single sub myself. feeding the one sub is going to require a good amount of power. doubling the subs will double everything, you will need twice as big of amp, twice as big of box. you've just got to ask yourself if you want to spend the extra money for the extra equipment, take up the extra room in your ride and add that much extra weight to your ride.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
I just installed a zx2500w amp for 2 12" Q's. My stock alt. wouldnt cut it so I traded up for the biggest HO makes for my car, a 170amp/70amp idle. still no luck in powering the beast. I'm working on upgrading the big 3. If still no worky I might swap the zx out for an effecient 1000w @ 1ohm and just run 1 sub. But all that electrical upgrade for 1 sub?

Silver Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 104
yeah im going to have to put in a new HO alt and 2nd battery for my set-up im getting. going to be running an US Amps MD.2D to a 15" Fi Q.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7736
3dbs plus the diference in spectrum in the audible diference

that means in numbers ull get 3dbs and in ear alot more

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Anyone know where I can find good info on installing a second batt?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us