Wifes Malibu Build *Pics inside

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1065
I've had some equipment laying around for a while, and my wife wants a very little bit of bass, but I figure I may as well make the most of what I have.
Her car: Chevy Malibu
Equipment:
Alpine 9885
Alpine Type-X 12 D4
Hifonics 2006d

Enclosure: ~1.5ft net tuned to 36hz with 24sqin of port.

She wants a little bass, and plenty of room to put groceries. Also no wires or equipment hanging out like most drop in installs.

Of course everything starts at the kitchen table:
Upload

Really rough sketch- many people use a progam to get a cut sheet, but I like writing . I ran out of graph paper- but it works fine.
Basically the port stretches around inside the back of the box, with the amp being mounted 'in' the box to a rack.

Here's a microsoft paint thing I did real quick to show a real basic idea of what it will look like:
Upload

Before anyone says anything about ventilation for the amp- it's not a concern. My wife drives 15 min each way to school or work, so I doubt she'll have any problems.

This is a temporary box till she gets a new car in a few months, so I just used some old warped mdf I had in my shed. I figure there's no reason I can't use it for the light bit it'll be used. Kind of interesting to see how such ghetto stuff will turn out lol:
Upload

Then my tablesaw died on me
I think I'm going to buy a new one from lowes and pop this one back in the box and get my $ back. I spend thousands there a month, the people know me by name, and the saw is less than a year old- damn straight I'm not eating the cost. Not heavy duty, but great for transporting to different jobs.

Upload

That's what I got done before the table saw died. I finished the cut with a circular saw and packed up for the night.
I tried to use my finish nailer to get the box put together, but I had to use screws because of how warped the wood is.

Upload

I left my air compressor on the wood to see if I can help get it a bit flatter.

Upload

That's all today, if all goes well with the saw I'll have it finished tomarrow, with all the pics to go. Maybe have time to get it installed.. No 'glass or anything- its not a big build.
Any thoughts/comments are welcome!

Oh, and here's a few pics of the equipment:
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4509
pics of the wife? :-)

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 599
not bad man, little sketched out about the bent enclosure wood, but other than that its comin along..

thanks for a normal post btw

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2390
Used to have the same setup Troy... except 2 type X 12s.

Very interesting design. Good luck with it.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13493
See the hole? Don't need a wife lol.

Good stuff man.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 3055
Cant wait for final pics. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
I know the way some people on this forum like to photoshop others lol. No pics of the wife

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1135
damn i wish i just had a type x and a bxi2006 laying around! should be a bit more than a little bass lol. gonna sound mint.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6137
Wow, I really hope you're not going to mount an amplifier on a speaker box, nevermind INSIDE one

Gold Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 1048
CHEVY MALIBU FTMFW!!! you got a cool asz wife lol

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 2074
i know type x and type r are completly different but a friend of mine has a 15" type r and it sounds great. i bet you/your wife will be pleased with that setup

Gold Member

Post Number: 1072
I really liked the X, it just isn't as loud as some other subs, but with about 1krms on it it's some nice thump. My wife will never ever use it to its potential.

The Amp rack is inside the box- it's really just covered by a trim plate.

Try to think of it as a 1.5ft box with an external port, with a big floor connecting the two. Then an amp rack attatched to the floor.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1073
So No MS, I'm not mounting an amp to a box.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13080
should be a nice set - only thing i would have done different was tune a tad lower like 32\33\34hz .....

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18096
your wife will have good clean bass troy. i used to have a pair of type x's also and they sounded nice. your wife is going to love you more now troy.

btw is that her valentine's day gift?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
I don't want to make the port smaller, and honestly she can't tell the difference. I had a 32hz port in my tahoe for a while, but I'm switching back to 36 when I get the chance. Just preference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1076
Thanks Chad, much appreciated.

No, I'll be headed up to Zales or something tomarrow. I bought her diamond studs a few years ago, I'll either get her a better pair (with screw backs) and a new battery for the ESQ watch I bought her, or the Movado she was looking at.

This is as much for me as her

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18102
nice. movados ftw!!!! or you can get her cartier.

oh i c so its mainly when you are driving that car. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1078
^ You read my mind lol.

Yeah, Upload I love movado- I bought this watch a few years ago because it's really thin, and the leather band feels great. Nice dress-up watch without having so much bling as to be distracting. I wear it for weddings/funerals and such.

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18105
yeah i like movado watches. its got that signature diamond at the top. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1081
Okay, more updates. I hope to have this finished today, I had to go to Lowes and some other things, only got a little more work in so far. Then I had to set up the new table saw and all that.

Being right on every cut, priceless:
Upload
I love using a tablesaw.

Just getting all the pieces cut.
Upload

And finishing assembling the 'box' portion.
Upload

A note to anyone not using good wood: go buy good stuff!
This wood splits really bad, so every pic that has a clamp in it is where even though it's been predrilled it splits. With some glue and a clamp it's fixable, but really time consuming.

Upload

Starting the port
Upload

And getting ready to put it in place. Like I said, the wood is so warped I'm using screws and I forgot how much longer that takes than finish nails. Each screw is literally bending the wood back where it should be.
Upload

And about to attatch it:
Upload

Thats where I am now. Just to put the top on, cut the hole, cut the hole for the cover, and put the 'amp rack' part in.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5427
its a me marrriiooo....
nice build.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2155
look at that massive water stain....lol

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1432
looks nice. i thought you said you were trying to build a small box to save room for groceries. that thing looks big lol.

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13093
..........Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
It's small relative to the trunk lol. I cut the worst of the water stain off, but it was sitting on concrete in a semi-open carport. Thanks driving. Gotta love mario.
On to pics.

Had to sand out a few of those lumps from the warped wood after attatching the port, and caulk the hard to reach places before they become impossible to reach places:
Upload
Upload

You wont see anything but the equipment and the port opening, so the excess glue is just a plus and less when it comes to sealing things tight to me.

The product so far:
Upload

I'm putting a 3/4 round on the trim panel so no need on the port. I had a bit to sand, but it'll be good once a bit of bracing brings things together.

I went to Walmart to buy carpet and they're out, so I guess I'll be going to a car audio shop for some soon.

Also, if anyone does this kind of work often, or just works in semi-dimly lit places, these lights are awesome. Worth every penny.
Upload

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1165
Very nice looking box! mad props. and yes halogen work lights FTW!!

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7969
an external port without it being external...i like it

good work on the box too Troy

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 255
that looks very nice

Gold Member

Post Number: 1083
Stavenmist316- one or two more for you
This compares my wifes entire box to my port, which is why I say it's small:
Upload
Upload

Cutting the holes for the sub, and the trim plate. There's still dust in them, so dont mind the rough looking edges:

Upload
Upload
Router ftw. I will never cut another sub hole with a jig saw, it's just too time consuming and this works sooo good. I think the minimum hole size is 10", but it goes up to 40-some.
Upload

Upload

Just test fitting the equipment (no I don't plan on screwing the amp into the port, it will have an amp rack).
Upload

And the baffle
Upload

And after cutting the port out, a nice 3/4 round on the beauty panel:

Upload
Upload

I talked to my wife earlier and she really doesn't want the amp displayed like I originally planned. Neither of us like neons (the amp is lit up blue like that). Atleast I have a nice place to hide the amp so there's no wires hanging out.

So tomarrow I carpet with black carpet (generic, nothing custom about it) and throw it in hopefully.

Bronze Member
Username: Alex_smith

Post Number: 54
good build troy.

how are those alts coming?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1188
what if you blow a fuse on the amp?!?!?!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1084
They're slow going. I was sure I'd have them by now, but with work being sort of slow and trying to fix up my house money is going towards where I'm living instead of what I'm driving- you know?
Also I've been taking a ton of time off of work to visit my dad, the doctors are now giving him < a month to live, so I want to be with him.

Colby can tell you about my recent sig sauer .40 purchase too, that sucked up a good 2 alts worth.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1466
it still looks big to me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
word.

i wish you and your family best of luck

ill be sure to talk to colby

Gold Member

Post Number: 1085
Just chiiiillllll mark. Take a breath lol. It's OK, the trim panel will be attatch with screws w/ button caps so it'll be only a few screws away from checking. I can guarantee short of wires coming loose my wife won't be popping fuses.

If I remember correctly this amp doesn't have any internal fusing, so I wont' even have to do that, just pop the hood.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1086
Thanks a lot man. If you like shooting I'll see if you want to go next time I go. Me and my bro go to a farm my parents own (~100 acres in the boonies) so there's no range fees or anything.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
im down. but as dumb as this sounds youd probly have to come meet my dad so he knows your not a dumbazz (which i know) but he is really anti-firearm for his own reasons so i dont know how he would feel about it.

but weve been with colby and his dad a couple times so idk.

but yeah if you can talk to colby ill talk to him about it. or whatever works for you

Gold Member

Post Number: 1087
Colby said it's cool- he might go next time we go shooting. I don't know if Colbys parents like me, but they're really nice folks, so maybe they know I'm not some weirdo by now. (off topic, but doesn't he have a really nice house?) I've been driving and shooting for as long as I remember, I remember when I was too little for a b-b gun I had bows and arrows. It's no problem meeting parents though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
yeah its just him being dad you know. hes a nice guy and i dont see any reason why he would like you. if he wants to ill tell him to talk colbys parents so he can get their input but they seemed to warm up to you quite well also.

and yeah he has a nice house. his dad is the best dermatologist around. he just bought himself an 06 bmw 750Li. but we live right across the street from each other. and i wouldnt really call my house small either(no brag)

but yeah i mean id like to go but hes really the only thing that might get in the way

Gold Member

Post Number: 1088
I love the 750.

I didn't know he was a dermatologist, ddamn. I live in downtown conway, and while my house is about 2500 sqft and still needs tons of work, it's MY house, and I'm about 20 years younger than any of my neighbors, so I figure I'm alright. I love the houses in your neighborhood though, they're just... looming and massive to some extent. My parents own a house on the channel in mt gilead, and some of those out there are just gorgeous. (I'm a realtor if it isn't showing lol).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
yeah after me and colby figured that out we stopped wondering how you could make enough money off of doing handy work to pay for your system and all the work your doing to your house. we didnt know you were a realtor. but for just you and your wife im sure that house is more than enough room.

and yeah the 750 is crazy. we havent convinced him to let us put two type r's in it yet but we will

Bronze Member
Username: Prozack52

Cincinnati, 2-D615D4 Dia...

Post Number: 53
nice enclosure looks good

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13109
looking good so far but where r the vent\fan holes for the amp ...

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 646
great looking box man

Gold Member

Post Number: 1089
From one of my first, if not my first post:
"Before anyone says anything about ventilation for the amp- it's not a concern. My wife drives 15 min each way to school or work, so I doubt she'll have any problems. "

I plan on putting a hole in the back, but I guarantee she will have no problems.

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13111
ooh i read that but forgot about it ......ya would be good to still have a hole ....

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1430
Nice work Troy.
Here's an idea. Taking that trim panel on and off to tune the amp will be a b*tch. If I were you, I'd mount the amp sideways and cut a square so that the tuning knobs are seen and flush mounted with the box. Kind of like your original idea, except you can tune the amp from the outside of box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1090
Thanks nick, but I planned on tuning the amp before I put the panel on. The extra 3/4" of port won't make much of an audible difference, especially since most of that is flare. Should be a set-it-and-forget-it type deal.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1190
o tru that i didnt realize you werent going to glue it. so technically your box is only a single baffel with a trim panel then.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8410
Looks good Troy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1092
No pics because it was so late, but I bought some charcoal carpet today, and painted the port black. That's all the time I've had- maybe I'll get some more work done tomarrow.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1094
Painting the port and around the sub opening: Upload

The Bracing/amp rack begining
Upload

The amp had no means of attatching it?! normally there are places to screw in, but there was nothing on the amp, or in the box (and I bought it new). Had to get a little creative.
Upload

Heres the platform for the amp
Upload

Putting the platform in place, it has plenty of room on all sides for the air to circulate. Theres a pic of the block holding it in place at the top.
Upload

closeup of the block and how snug it holds the amp
Upload

The block in question
Upload

Coming together, I got the hole cut for the logo to show through
Upload

A bit closer shot
Upload

Of course a 3/4 round over
Upload

Test fitting with the amp in place
Upload

Carpeting the box
Upload

And the trim plate
Upload

And all carpeted
Upload
Upload

And with the sub sat in to test fit
Upload

Still have to screw the trim plate in, but I'm waiting to hook up all the wires and test everything. Then I'll have to tune the amp too, so just sitting it on for now.
Upload
Upload

Wiring it up. It's so simple, those jumpers really make for a clean appearance.
Upload

Screwing it in place and putting the rubber cover on. Kind of unique, not many subs do anything fancy, I'm sure that's why my wife likes it lol.
Upload

Everyones worried about ventilation. 2.5" holes let some air in and make running wires to the amp easy.
Upload

And in the trunk
Upload

I ran all the wires, but I ran out of 4 guage fuse holders. I'm a ground and a power wire away from having this up and running as long as everything else is hooked up correctly. Testing it out and metering it friday.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1482
wow. that turned out very nice. looks nice and clean.

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

I get higher golf scor..., North carolina

Post Number: 888
WOW

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13763
THAT is very nice. All that work for a temp box? Wow. Take a pic with the hifonics lit up. I know you don't like it but damn that's nice.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 324
thats so sweet. you should build a box for me. haha jk.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13855
very,very nice

Gold Member

Post Number: 1096
Thanks. It sounds pretty good, I don't know how to compare it because of what I listen to in my vehicle.
It's a nice sounding setup, it really likes the lows, it eats them up, but you've got to figure its a lucky 1k watts off a stock electrical system, on an SQ sub.

On overall loudness it's not particularly impressive, but again compared to the size of the setups I normally listen to I just don't know what to expect. It was much louder in my yukon though. Anyway, it's nothing overwhelming for my wife, but it's a nice bit of thump when I'm in there ;)

I'm glad I went ahead and cut that hole for the amp like I originally planned, it does look pretty nice to see that hifonics lit up. I took a pic but it's daylight so now you can't see it that well. I'll try to snap one tonight.

Gold Member

Dunellen, New jersey 15 inch Alph...

Post Number: 1174
get a little vid goin bud.. box looks very nice man. good job

Silver Member

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 326
looks very good sir

Gold Member

Post Number: 1097
I'll see if I can get one later, it's raining now :-(

Also the vehicle itself doesn't flex like crazy or anything, just the mirror moves a lot and the stuff in the cup holder moves pretty good. I'll see if I can get one though. To me it just does an awesome job of sounding good- complementing w/out drowning out the music.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A

Post Number: 669
good and clean i like it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1102
Okay, final updates until I meter it.

Here's a shot of how much trunk space she has:
Upload

And a few of it lit up at night. It's very hard to capture, but it gives a general idea:

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 673
looks sweet man i love it great job. hope you got a little something "special" for all your work from the wife

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
yeah, she told me it was too loud and asked how to turn it down lol. j/p, we haven't been married for a year yet, so I get attention like a puppy in a sorority house .

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1239
WOW!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1112
Thanks.

Silver Member

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 359
haha - attention like a puppy in a sorority house - cant beat that

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1971
Awesome job, man. That's really good.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A

Post Number: 701
now are there any vid's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1113
No, I haven't had a chance to drive her car again. I was able to change back from my 32hz port to my 36 in my vehicle though, and I have to say I like it much much better.

As far as her setup though, I just haven't had time. Friday for sure then.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6953
Looks great Troy. Keep up the awesome installs.

Silver Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 523
that looks hot bro!! nice job. looks very clean...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1127
Okay, here's the meter pics:

Sealed dash
Upload

Sealed kick
Upload

It hit 39-39.1 as long as I played with it on the dash, so I'm fine with that. Like I said, it's a single 12 on 1krms in a trunk- I'm fine with it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1128
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbLj2uglTuM

a bit of jeezy

Gold Member

Dunellen, New jersey 15 inch Alph...

Post Number: 1273
troy what year is your wifes malibu?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
98 I believe.

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 954
troy up to u if u get hifonics involved but theres suppose to be crom trinm with 4 holes on that amp u can kind of see them in my older vid here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzekJryotLE

btw very very nice build i'd love to do that if i had the space , beautiful job though.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8120
now i see why the wife said its a bit loud ...139.1 not bad

Silver Member
Username: Treez

Post Number: 283
An excellent set-up...Great going Troy..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1133
Thanks guys. Not worried about the clips any more. The other 2006d I had already had them attatched, but this didn't have any. In place really good now though, so no worries.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1134
^ My bro is talking about selling his 12" BL to go to a BTL. I'm going to see if I can't swap out the subs and see how the BL at 1 ohm does. I don't want to count my chickens, but I'd love to see it bassrace a 139.9.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1139
I'm just bumping this up so my friend can read this post without digging too long.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us