Car audio careers

Silver Member
Username: Jester_king

Post Number: 342
hello i've been into car audio for a little over a year now, and I was wondering if there is any reasonable career that one could get into that involves car audio, if so how much would you be making salary wise. also what are the odds of me being able to go from highschool into college then to the career.

thanks for all the help

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7714
im thinking of going to phoenix to a school and get mecp certefied

mobiledynamics.com

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

I have more bass in my..., North carolina

Post Number: 836
http://www.mecp.com/home.asp

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
do you know how likely you'd be able to get a car audio job afterwards? and how much you'd be making

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2588
if you really wanted to make money car audio wise....

finish high school, go to college, get a business degree, recruit some of the mecp guys, get some investors and a loan, open up a car audio shop and rake it in. there's a good chance you won't make sh!t running wire and putting in headunits.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8247
Cal makes it seem so easy lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
well with running your own shop would you see alot of customers, everyone I know just does there own installations them selves, also would the owner of a buisness accually install anything, also sorry for all the questions i'm just lookin for info

Silver Member
Username: Jnoel

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 963
uniquewhips FTW

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin IF IT DOESNT...

Post Number: 1373
after your mecp certified the average starting salarly for a gradaute is 26-31,000 if i remember right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
ah ok cool, with owning your own shop though you'd prolly be making more then that though, right

Gold Member

Post Number: 1374
probobly, but those people will also be in debt for a long time i bet. with buying a shop, getting all the stuff, then hiring employees and whatnot.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7715
in a car audio industry college u dont need.. what you need is to be a mecp certefied since is already know nation wide and overseas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1375
^^^yea, you can just get the study guide, study, take the test, and boom your MECP certified.

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1708
i got the mecp book.if i ever read it ima take the test.me and one of my buds talked about opening a car audio shop

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1558
MECP doesnt mean anything to me. I look for an installer with experience.

If you want to get into this stuff...make a name for yourself from the ground up. Start installing systems for your friends, then their friends, before you know you'll have people you don't know needing your assistance. Two important things are happening here. Number one your getting experience and at the same time creating a customer base, which is of HUGE importance if you plan to open your own place.

As for opening a store/shop? Man, its nothing like it used to be. With internet sales it is difficult for shops to do well without an install bay that keeps busy. Margins have shrunk with all the internet savvy customers these days.
All these online stores whore out product for a few bucks over dealer cost. The overhead for a store front and running a shop makes it impossible to match internet prices.
Many smaller shops rely heavily on their expert installers to attract customers.

INSTALLERS are the biggest asset to car audio shops. They are paid well. A typical master installer in a good area will bring home between 40k and 100k. Less stress than owning a shop, trust me, i wish i could punch out and go home without a worry in the world haha.

These are just a few thoughts I have on the subject.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1710
i plan to make a site and sale online to

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1887
Thank you, Zac. That's one of the more useful posts this forum has seen lately.

Having lots of knowledge of acoustics and enclosure types/design would probably be great. If you can build boxes that get a hell of a louder and sound better than the other shops' enclosures, you'd probably be a huge asset to a shop. People would tell their friends about [insert the shop that you work at here]'s box with a couple 10s on 500W whooped some guys 12s on 1kW.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1378
sell online too*^^ sorry i had too

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 112
Chris,
Where did you get the MECP book from? I've installed my own stuff but want that certification so i can do it professionally. i got about 3yrs experience but no MECP

Gold Member

Post Number: 1711
http://mecp.com/home.asp

u can buy the book on there site.tells u were to take the test to

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 13016
good post from Zac ...

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3361
get a electronic enginnering degree, then work for a big company like JL, Sony, Pioneer, designing new car audio stuff. Entry level for an Electronic enginner, 50-80 K, Experiance EE, 100+

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 425
awesome that what im going into im almost done with my first year and im top of my class
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us