Will i need a 2nd battery?

Bronze Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 56
ok i plan on getting a 170 amp alt. for my car. i am going to keep the starting battery i have since i just replaced it recently. i will be running a 1500 max wattage, 500 rms 4 channel amp and a 1200D AQ amp. i called a guy about an alternator and he told me anything above 1200 RMS and i would need a 2nd battery. is this really true? if i am going to get one it will be the Kinetic HC1800. i found one at a car audio shop for $300. is that a good deal, and can i find one cheaper?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6043
You DON'T need more than 1 battery. I would get a bigger alt than that if you can though.

And who did you call. If it was one of those places that claims to be able to rebuild stock alternators to really high output, steer clear of them.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapaudio

Washington court house, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 19
wheres a good place to get an alt?

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 60
i saw in another post to look at a place in ohio. the guy told me its a custom built alt. for my car and its going to be $525. the one i found is on ebay and its a remanufactured 170 amp alt. ive looked hard for a 200+ but cant find one. even the guy i talked to on the phone said his was only 190 amps. if you can find a new one, or even a good used one for a 2000 celica gt automatic im all ears.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 63
at my work we sell Optima batteries and we carry a Marine Deep Cycle battery that does 750 cold cranking amps and has 120 reserved capacity. would this battery be useful if i wanted to put an extra battery in my trunk? would it even make a difference? i looked at a kinetic and it was like 1900 amps. would 750 CCA even be a drop in the bucket or totally pointless? i dont know much about the electrical system part of feeding amps power.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 65
also here is a link to the HO alt i am thinking about getting. do you guys think i should get it? as in do you think it will do the 170 amps it says it will or is it a scam? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alternator-Toyota-2000-2004-Celica-1-8-4Cly-170AM PS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33573QQihZ009QQitemZ 190189960838QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6079
Never heard of that company but that alt would be good if it really does what it says. For car audio you want batteries that discharge quickly and optima isn't in that category.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us