New Box Design

Bronze Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 43
ok i drew up a new "non-sqaure" box today. I think this is going to look great in the back of my car and do very well with my sub. This box is designed for a Fi Q 12 and after the sub displacement the internal volume is 1.25 ft^3. I am going to do a double baffle on the front for mounting the sub and use 3/4" MDF. do these plans look good? Upload

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1876
Clean diagram. I'd brace it and ditch the double baffle. Props for doing it on paper.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 49
you don't think i would need the double baffle? i've seen it done before for giving the sub a little more securing and figured i may give it a shot. not doing it though would make building it a little simplier. how would i go about bracing a box of this type?

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1877
Well, I don't have any degrees in this sort of thing, but maybe something like this:
Upload
Bad drawing, but you get the idea.

Then cut a slot in a 2"x.75" piece and the middle of the brace. Then put it so it would be coming out of the page on your drawing, slotted in to the brace. Glue that nicely and it should be strong. Or a hole in the triangular brace, then dowel, but I think the MDF would be stronger, due to there being more than just glue holding it.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 51
so something like a cross brace? that would go from the bottom right 90 degree corner straight across to the 45 degree wall the sub will be mounted to? maybe do one on each side of the woofer, evenly distributed between the sub and the wall of the box? that would def. keep it secure i would imagine. cutting a slot would be a good idea too so there would be more than just glue holding it. you think i'd really need braces though only being for one 12 in a 15.5" X 21 1/8" box? i've never dealt with bracing before so if you really think i would need some then i'll go with it.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 52
or... to be extra secure i could cut out an entire triangle piece, 2 of them, to fit the exact shape of the box. place one on each side of the woofer, evenly of course, and then have a large diameter hole cut out in the middle to allow air to travel freely through the box. cut a notch around the entire area the brace is touching, make the brace a little larger so it would "pop" into place when the box was put together, adding glue to ensure stabilization. how about that??

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 53
figuring up the exact extra area in volume they would be taking up will be fun :D i may get my calc teacher to help with that one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us