Question 12w7 vs. 13w7

Username: 23marsblackmon23

Post Number: 8
I'm pretty new on here so I don't really know if this is a dumb question or not, but I was wonder which set up would give me the best SPL:

-12w7 in a H.O. box with a 1000 watt JL amp
or
-13w7 in a ported box to spec. with a 1000 watt JL amp

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3354
Thats a tough call due to the HO box in the mix. But I would go for the 13. "No replacement for displacement."
And research that spec box, It may not be optimal. Companies tend to down size the boxes to make it more appealing. Nice choice.

Bronze Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 47
i can tell you the JL13W7 is incredible. the SPL they produce is amazing. I built the ported box for one that was in the JL manual and had it in my small hatchback and my entire hatch would raise up and down from the flex. the wing on my car would flap like wings on a bird. the subs are very well built, just be sure to feed them with plenty of clean power.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3355
the other thing.. That amp is a little to much for a single 12. But its made for the 13.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3356
the other thing.. That amp is a little to much for a single 12. But its made for the 13.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids like my rhyme...

Post Number: 3891
the 12 is rated at 1000 isn't it? i know the 13.5 is rated at 1500... go with the 13 ported with 500 more watts and you'll be louder

Post Number: 9
Thanks and another question...why don't they make a H.O. box for the 13w7?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3908
The 12 inch H.O. box is already too large for many applications (ask Mike on this forum) so I gues they figured the 13.5 H.O. box wouldn't sell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3910
The H.O. box for the 12 is so large that it already restricts what applications it can be used in, so I assume the 13.5 H.O. box would just be ridiculously large and impractical in most installs. Basically, I guess JL figured it wouldn't sell because it would be fuggin' massive.

Bronze Member
Username: Jladam415

Post Number: 33
how many times did you just say it would be too big?

ive got the HO on my back seat of an ext. cab silverado.. it is huge though...

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1675
What car is this going on? Do you have room for the 13w7?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3938
yeah my comp fucked up with i posted that apparently, adam. who the f*ck are you anyways?

Bronze Member
Username: Jladam415

Post Number: 34
im a nobody, just like everyone on internet forums... haha, i wasnt talkin sh*t i just read both posts and the 2nd was funny cuz you said it like 3 times in one post...

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 59
i believe peak RMS on the JL13W7 is 2000. they do a graph on their website showing from weakest to strongest rms they can hold. 1000 is ideal, 1500 rms would really rock them. and yeah the box for just one is rather large. not to mention the weight. i had just one in a ported box and it must have weighed over 100 pounds. have you ever seen a 13W7 in person? theyre massive.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2587
The 12W7 weighs 45 pounds, 12W7 HO box weighs 119, the 13W7 weighs 52 pounds, a 13W7 HO box would weigh roughly like 137 pounds. That's a little unreasonable to ship/make/install/etc.
I've heard a 13W7 sealed, 13W7 ported, and a 12W7 HO and I can say that the 13W7 ported gets louder than the 12W7 in the HO for sure, but the HO box helps the 12W7 to hit every single frequency perfectly.
I talked to the JL techs and they said the 12W7 is equivalent to about 4 12W3V3s while the 13W7 is equivalent to about 5 12W2V3s (SPL wise) so the 13 is not remarkably louder, soooo....
haha long story short, if you have the room, go with the 12W7 unless you're going for numbers in which case, you might wanna head a different route bc the W7 is not your budget spl woofer.

If one person reads that I'll be happy :-)

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1680
I read it.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2589
I am happy

Bronze Member
Username: Timbuc

Post Number: 14
Like I said the 13w7 require a smaller box than the 12w7 HO. Grab the 13w7 build it .5 cube larger than JL specs tune round 30 and slot port that baby and be happy. Mine you the 12w7 ho hits the notes but dont hit the low lows plus if you make your own box I think it looks a whole lot bananas than a over the counter box that everybody can purchase. My opinon.

Post Number: 10
Well im trying to put it in a Montero Sport. I really wasn't looking much for SPL, but more SQ, that's why I was going with JL. My budget is around $2,000. I went to Tweeter (a local audio shop) and they gave me a price quote for $1,600 for a 12 in a H.O. box with a 1000 watt amp and about $1,900 for the 13 in a custom ported box. Does this sound resonable?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
bump

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 579
1900 for a 13 and amp??? thats a def no no in my opinion...you can do better for that amount of money man

save your bank account bro

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Yea, but that also includes installation box and wiring. The only reason I was perfering JL because I heard it was top of the line at this moment. Do you have any other suggest on a set up then?

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 581
for sound quality, get a Fi Q for about 250 shipped or so, have fisher or phil from woodlawn build you a custom box, and someone can recommend a good 1000 watt amp for ya...maybe a RD1000.1 or somethin a lil less expensive

then go get it hooked up at a good shop, guarantee you thatll be under 2000

Gold Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 1020
^ yes. and you can get a wiring kit for like 70 bucks.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 83
JL is good, and theyre W7 line is their best sub, yes, but take it from me, i've been there. i thought i was going to have this amazing system when i bought 2 13w7's for my small car and ended up not being very happy with them. i too want SQ rather than SPL and w7's are SPL subs. if you want SQ or if u want loudness and SQ, SQL, go with some Fi's, like i'm going to be getting a FI Q. they make those in many sizes according to your preference or if u wanted to stick with JL and go cheaper plus get SQ check out their w6 line.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us