Subwoofer help

Username: Furcifer

STL

Post Number: 1
I need some help in deciding which sub to get.

I just need some help because I am overwhelmed by the amount of subs that are on the market.

I am first going to say that I am "OLD SCHOOL". I used to compete in IASCA back in the early 90's. The amount of CRAP that is on the market now, just amazes me and I am kinda glad that I got out of it back then.

Well needless to say, the wife told be the other day that the Stereo in my Tahoe sounded like $hit (stock Bose). So I started with a new head unit. I got the JVC HDR1 and plan on upgrading it in March when the new Head Units come out.

The amp I have is "OLD SCHOOL" I found two of my old Orion Cobalt 2105's. I still have 2 new ones in the boxes from the 90's that I have been hanging on too.

I have been told to look into:
RE Audio
Clif Designs
Ascendant Audio

However, I want this to be known...
I do not care how loud it pounds or how hard it hits I am worried about SQ not SPL.

STL

Post Number: 2
I have also been told to look into:
Incriminator Audio
Mach 5 Audio
SoundSplinter
and
SSA

please don't flame, like I said, I don't know these subs at all. I just need some help getting pointed in the right direction.

STL

Post Number: 3
bump

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1614
What kind of power are you looking to put on the sub/s? Are you looking at 2 10's or 1 12? I am sure you are going sealed for box as well. Let me know, I will help if I can.

Kevin

STL

Post Number: 4
I will be using the old Orion Cobalt Amp. It is the 2105. I will probably just use 1 12" sub. I just want to have a full well rounded sound. I know it is rated at 400 watts, 200x2, but I also now that this amp well very under-rated. If you are familiar with this old amp, you will know these things are beasts.

STL

Post Number: 8
bump

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids like my rhyme...

Post Number: 3911
Are those Colbalts some of the "cheater amps" Orion used to produce? They are great quality amps, but even at 100% efficiency, with only a 30 amp fuse I'm not sure that amp is going to put out much, if any, more than 500 watts. I suppose that will do alright if you just want a little extra bump though

As for the companies you listed, I would say that SoundSplinter and SSA are the only ones that would produce straight SQ woofers, but honestly their premier woofers need more power.

So, for straight SQ I would look into JL Audio W6v2. It's one of the best SQ woofers money can buy. I would also look into an IDMAX or IDQ (Image Dynamics) along with the Audiopulse Epic.

No one really has the Epics so it would be cool to own them, not to mention Audiopulse (fomerly TC Sounds) makes GREAT products known for low distortion sound quality.

STL

Post Number: 9
Yeah, they are the old American made amps that Orion made back in the day. I could have sworn that when I pulled them out the other day that they had the orange fuse in them, and if I am not mistaken, I thought the orange fuse was a 40 amp fuse. I guess I will have to look at them tonight.
On another note, I was told that Diamond produces some of the cleanest sounding subs on the market along with Realm Audio. But that is what I was told, I haven't heard them personally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3918
Eh, Diamond makes legit products, but I wouldn't say they are the best on the market. Not to mention they don't have a real glorified woofer rated for the power you are pushing it with. I haven't heard any of the Realm Audio subs, but I know Chad Lee (on this site) has two 12s and said they sounded great. How much money are you looking to spend?

STL

Post Number: 10
Well, I know this may sound weird to some of you, but back in the day when I used to compete, there were 3 main companies. Orion, JL, and Rockford. Of course there we many smaller comapines out there but generally you would see that most cars had 1 of the 3 comapnies subs in their car. Now, I was an Orion guy (but that was way back before they got bought out by DEI and went straight downhill). So I understand that JL may sound good, but it is hard for me to explain why I can't get a JL. If I can find a pic, I will post it of my old Monte Carlo.

Bronze Member

STL

Post Number: 11
Ok, now here goes. No flaming now, these pics are from the early to mid 90's. Take a look at how the subs looked back then.
This was my ride until it was stolen.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3928
Orion has come back in a big way and are opening a new line of amps either mid year this year or next year. Not to mention they reinvented the old HCCAs and made them monsters once again. JL is still top notch and Rockford makes great Power series amps and their speakers are the worst thing to happen to car audio.

Anyways, if you can't/don't want to go with JL then I would recommend going with a pair of Image Dynamics IDQs. Run one of the Colbalts bridged to each woofer and you will have decent output and great SQ.

The question remains, though. What kind of money you looking to spend?

And that install is very clean, however dated it may look it is still CLEAN. It looks like you've gone full circle from SPL to SQ, huh? Haha.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us