Fi Q enclosure (pic)

Bronze Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 30
ok so here is a box i drew up for one 12 inch Fi Q sub. i was told 1.0 cuft is best for this sub. my question now is, is a square box ok or is a non-square box better? i've heard it does matter and then ive heard it doesnt matter at all? same with poly-fil. some say it does matter, some say it doesn't. also, i've never dealt with nor seen one 12 in a car before. will one 1000 rms sub make as much sound as 2 500 rms subs? my guess is no. so would one 12 in the correct box with the correct power be loud enough?

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2184
1cuft is kinda small...

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13100
Ported or sealed?

Q12

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 28.4 Hz | 27.1 Hz
Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil
Qms: 05.39 | 5.63
Qes: .49 | .48
Qts: .45 | .44
Mms: 211g | 231g
Cms: 0.15mm/N | 0.15mm/N
Sd: 481cm^2 | 481cm^2
Vas: 48.3 l | 48.3 l
Spl: 85.4dB 1W/1m | 84.8dB 1W/1m
Bl: 10.4 N/A | 15.1 N/A
Xmax: 27mm
Rms: 1000W
Sealed box: .8-1.5 cuft
Ported box: 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 28-33Hz
Sub OD: 12.500"
Cut ID: 11.125"
Mounting depth: 7.000"
Displacement: 0.16cuft

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13101
I'm guessing sealed?

I'd go a bit larger.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 31
the box is going to be sealed. will making the box say 1.5 ft^3, the largest recommended size, increase the sound the sub will be able to make? is there any draw backs to making a box the largest possible volume? and there again would i be better off with 2 12's or would one be good enough?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13106
1.5 cu's from your 1cu is not a big deal in volume. Is there a space limit in your ride?

Do you already have an amp?

And a properly tuned and fed 1000w sub will hold its' own and shine over (2) 500w subs. I'd keep it simple with one sub and more power. There may not be as much cone area, but it's all about what you do with the power you feed it.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 32
saying that it is not a big deal in volume, does this mean i can go larger than 1.5 ft^3 even though that is the specs of the sub itself? i want what will make the sub sound and perform at its optimum potential. as far as space for an enclosure i have 43 inches available in width, 24 inches in depth and 15.5 inches in height max. i'm going with the RF T10001BD for an amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12981
dude anytime ur following rec specs choose to use the largest provided since 90% of the time rec specs suck ...

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 33
so what's a good rule of thumb then for knowing how large to make an enclosure? what is making the enclosure larger or smaller going to do to the overall sound of the sub? any suggestions for this particular sub?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12985
if ur buying the sub directly from FI then talk to scot since who else would know best about it ....

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 35
how would i go about getting ahold of him? what's his username?

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 36
also... having a hatchback, would a non-square box, such as one that would have the sub angled at 45 degrees toward the glass, make the sub sound any better? or does the shape of the box not really matter?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7774
you dont want a square box...smaller boxes tend to play the bass tighter but if its too small you wont be able to hit the low end clean or at all depending....If you go too large in box size spl output is affected to a decent degree and the sub will play less accurately in terms of sound quality....bottom line you want somewhere in the middle box size wise for best accuracy and mix of low end and with higher end bass....polyfill does work it not only icreases airspace when used in the correct amounts for your enclosure it also breaks up standing waves improving the sound quality of your subwoofer

Gold Member

Post Number: 7775
heres the polyfill chart

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 202
Why no Square box sean?

The purpose of the box is to provide a cushion of air resistance to effectively resist the movement of the driver. having that volume of air too large or too small does effect the sound and potential output. dont go beyond the suggested unless you model it in WinISD and understand what is happening.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 37
you guys give great advice and i take it all in. i checked out the forum last night on the Fi website and they were saying on there 1.2 or 1.3 ft^3 for the Q 12. i'll probably go with that size, since 1.0 does look kind of small, even though .2 or .3 really isnt that much larger in size. i am going to try to draw up a box that will angle the sub at 45 degrees so. here is a rough free hand sketch of an idea. is this a good type box for SQ and for being the back of a hatchback? Upload

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 38
so say i was making a 1.25 ft^3 sealed box. how much poly fil would i use and how would i keep it from getting inside the woofer itself? and is there a measurement to go with for an "amount". since poly-fil can be condensed and one person's handful could be smaller or larger than another's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7778
square boxes exaggerate frequencies over others...but if hes using polyfill that shouldnt be an issue...ps shawn if you go 1.00 cf sealed and stuff it with 1 pound of polyfill you will be at 1.30 cf aprox. so you could use the design you listed above if you accounted for the subwoofers space taken up...aka displacement

Gold Member

Post Number: 7779
using .75 wood your demensions internally gave 1.16 cubic feet net so if the subs displacement is .16 your fine using polyfill in that design assuming its far enough away from the subwoofer
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us