Help needed on sq upgrades for standard cab pickup

Username: Marcusly

Post Number: 1
ive been a car audio enthusiast for a few years now, but after reading some info posted at these sq forums ive realized i have a lot of learning to do. Anyways, i have a 97 std cab sonoma which had a horrible stock stero when i puchased it 4 yrs ago. I immediately upgraded to a Panasonic deck, i forget which model but i chose it bc it was the best model i could afford that offered 3 sets of preamp outs(4.5V) for later mods. At that same time I upgraded the factory door speakers to Kappa 60.2cs comps with the tweets mounted on the sail panels. Unfortunately I recently made some purchases without doing any professional sq research. I bought an Infinity Referece 5761a 6-channel 600W amp and a set of 4x6 polk/momo dash speakers which have a built in x/o with a separate (soft-dome) tweet. I set it up so the first 2 channels power the dash, the second 2 the comps, and the third set bridged to an old pos 10" sub (got it for free). I forget the power specs on it but im sure its plenty bc i have all the gain set about 25%. Id first like to know what anyone suggests for a 10" sub, or possible two 8s going in a sealed truck box behind the passenger seat(not much mounting depth). Also interested how i would go about an all avtice x/o setup. Oh I belive the bridged channel puts out around 280RMS. Im also wondering if anyones tried polyfil inside the doors, and any other opinions on my current setup. Like i said, im no expert so any help and/or criticism(constructive preferrably) would be greatly appreciated! tks

Silver Member
Username: Tpa954

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 159
Well i would recommend a COMP VT 10" sub from kicker. This is a flat speaker so i does not need allot of mounting depth and would be perfect for a Truck Box . You may be under powering it a little bit but if you ever up grade i say it can handle 500 Consistently . As for what you have already it isnt th best but what is your budget ???

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5988
Have you ever used those subs. B/c I've heard from people who tried them, that they suck.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5798
imo those cvts' are a worse sounding cvr. i personally wouldn't recommend those subs.

and what is the amount of space you have behind your seats for a sub? and a little off topic, but if interested i have an old school oz audio 250l (10") sub i can sell. very small and doesn't need a lot of room to sound good.

Silver Member
Username: Tpa954

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 160
I never used them but thanks for the information, most kicker products are pretty good quality and cheap.Thats why i recommended them.... My bad marcus chalk up that suggestion :-(

Username: Marcusly

IDaHo

Post Number: 4
Well i know q-logic makes a box thatl fit, but it only has .65cf of volume, so i guess a better question would be what kind of subs work well in small boxes. Also, i dont know about the flat kicker speaker, but i have seen pioneer and kenwood both make an enclosure for their flat subs thats supposed to maximize their potential, but im under the impression their not very quality sq subs. Ive got about $500 for a sub and box combo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us