Clean efficient amp...

Bronze Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 25
i am looking for a clean, efficient amplifier to push one Fi Q 12. what amp would be best? best in efficiency, durablity, cleaness of power,etc. besides the jl 1000/1 though...i dont want to spend 700 for an amp. i was thinking alpine. any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1665
apline pdx 1.1000 is the the closest amp i kno of compared to the 1000/1.well meaning a regulated amp

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 26
also looking at the fosgate line of 1000 rms amps. there is the t10001 and then the p10001. would the t10001 be too much power for the one Fi, would the p10001 be better and are fosgate amps even a good choice for a Fi Q 12?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1666
rf t10001 is the good choice,there power series of amps is the best they sell.but they usually come with a birth sheet of 1400-1500 watts,if the sub couldnt handle it.all u would have to do is turn the gain down

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 29
good i was afraid the t10001bd would be too much for that sub alone. that's the amp i had been set on getting due to all the guide reviews i keep seeing on it. i guess the next question would be once i got the amp and had it hooked to the sub how would i know what gain to set the amp at? would i listen by ear and make sure it isnt over extruding the sub or is there some kind of rule to setting gain?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1667
mulitmeter will work better

heres the link to show u what voltage u need.just turn ur headunit up loud as u will ever turn it,and look for the voltage this link tells u and ur good to go.oh ya u look for the voltage on the speaker terminals on the amp with a multimeter.the multimeter should be set to ac voltage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1668
http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/GainSet/voltage.htm

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 34
would i leave the subwoofer hooked up while testing or take the wires completely out of the amp hook-ups when testing the voltage? would i want to be playing a certain frequenzy through my amp while testing the voltage load? will playing the amp with no output ( no sub hooked up ) damage my amp in any way?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1689
leave em hooked up

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5996
NO!!!!! ALWAYS disconnect speakers when setting the gain that way.

read this:
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 39
nice link and info there, thanx. it says to use a tone CD which i assume will play a certain hertz for a given time. where can i find such a track to play in my HU while testing the voltage. i'm sure theyre downloadable somewhere but what would they be called and which hertz would be best to play for the correct voltage reading? also... does this same concept hold true with a 4 channel amp? i've got a 4 channel running 2 6.5 components up front and the rear channel running both 6.5 and 6 X 9 speakers. all the same brand and model.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 40
i was looking at some videos of the Fi Q 12 and i noticed an amp that was flexing the sub so nice. it was an Elemental Designs Nine.1. What do you think about this amp? the specs look good... it does 1200 RMS at 1 Ohm and only 12.5 volts. not bad. its also cheaper in price than then RF10001BD i was looking to get. how does the Nine.1 compare to the RF10001BD and which would be a better choice for the Fi Q, SQ, overall performace and durability?

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 407
audioque 1200d

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5166
the best tutorial for gain setting is JL's

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 41
ok i'm down to 3 possible amps. I like the Sundown sae1000d, the ED Nine.1 and the RF10001BD. the sundown is more than the Nine.1, does that make it a better amp? I'm confident the RF would rock the FQ the best out of all 3, but i'm also afraid it may be a little too much for just one 12. am i wrong here? also what is a subsonic filter? and i believe 2 of these amps are adjustable to 24 dB and one is only to 18 dB. will that make a difference?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6004
^^^^^ Audioque 1200d

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 42
do you guys like those amps so much because of the price? 280 is a sweet deal for a 1200 RMS amp. but is the quality of the amp good as well? is it going to last me and hold up? i've just never heard of them before and dont know much about them.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6011
AQ makes very good quality stuff. And good prices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us