Elemental Design Subs?

Silver Member
Username: Tips

Post Number: 234
I was looking at the Elemental Designs 13Ov.2, and the price looked attractive. I know the amps are good quality, just wondering about the subs.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1834
Everyone who's owned one seems to like them. Jake said his 16Ov.2s were the sh!t.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2379
Youll be impressed. Lets just say that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
I'm looking for SQ, I don't really care about SPL, I just want it to sound crisp. Are they SQ or SPL orientated?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Clarion Hert...

Post Number: 2380
Sq/sql.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 487
SQL

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
What would be the best SQ sub for around the same price?

I would prefer to spend less than 200-250.
Something around 600-700rms.

I was looking into a w6, but those were a little out of my price range.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1843
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=32&osCs id=9b1c9d670af3842940203d73149c2e27

DIYMA Reference 12".

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
Hm, I mostly listen to rap, and songs with deep bass, so I was looking for a 15". I currently have a set of 12" Eclipses in my car. I like the SQ, but I feel like it doesn't hit as deep as it should.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1846
Well, what do you have for midbass? These subs will get quite low, sound great, but won't give you much punchy bass. Lots of rumble.
http://www.mach5audio.com/index-1.html
Scroll down 'til you get to the 15.22.

I dunno, I've said this too many times, but the box will make a much larger difference than the woofer. If you got a box designed specifically for your car, you could keep the subs you have now, it would be louder, sound better, and get deeper. Just a thought.
http://www.hexibase.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
The problem is, when I bought these subs, I didn't know much about car audio. I just knew Eclipse was much better than a lot of crap subs, and Car toys was having a 2subsfor1 deal, and I threw them into a duel sealed box, since I knew SQ was better in sealed enclosures...

So as a result, I have no idea what model these subs are. I just know they are two 12" Eclipse subs rated at 200W RMS each.

If I could get better SQ and lower louder bass with a new box, I would build one, but how am I supposed to know what kind of box to build for it?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1847
That's the idea, go to Pete Kulicki's site (Hexibase.com), and request a quote. A design shouldn't be more than $50. I'm not one to judge by power ratings, but 200W is pretty damn low. In the right box, a pair of 12s can get pretty damn low. A pair of MAW 12s could do what you want. I have a pair and I love them. No matter where you go, try and get Pete to do the design for you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
200 Watts is pretty low, but with 2 subs I'm running 400W of bass. Honestly, I don't want bass that is too loud, I've heard a 13w7 with a 1000/1, as impressed as I was, it's not for me. However, I'm tired of running my system at full volume all the time. It would be nice to have a system that is capable of getting louder if I ever wanted, and something that is loud enough to listen to at half volume, so I'm not straining my system all the time. I figure in the middle between 1000 and 400 is where I would like it, 700rms. That also eliminates the need for a new HO alt.

That being said, the low rumbling bass of a 15 still sounds attractive, earlier you asked what kind of midbass I had? I was thinking of upgrading my infinity ref components to a pair of diamond audio hex s600s.

Would that be enough midbass to run the 15?

Or would you recommend something else so I could have low rumbling bass and punchy at the same time?

Sorry for the long post.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1848
Well, there are other 15s. The IXL just has a high inductance, and that will cut the higher bass a little. Get a good, vehicle specific, sub specific box for a MAW 15, give it a zx750.1, and you should be good. You'll have plenty of extra power, too. Even one of those T5001BDs would probably give you enough power at 4 ohms. I'd still go with the ZX, though. I think the MAW 15 would laugh at 700W, 800 would probably be alright, too. I'm driving my MAW 12s with 500W each, and they could take a little more. They're rated at 350W; the MAW 15 is rated at 500W. Mine sound great, btw. The box affects SQ greatly. Definitely get a box design from Pete. People will be amazed when you tell them what you're running.

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
Thanks for the help man. I'll request a quote from him as soon as I measure out the dimensions of my trunk tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, what kind of components are you running?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us