Who uses Q-pods ?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4018
I got my pods yesterday, I guess they are ok they at least give me a starting point. They will house the CVL 6k's and matching tweeters but before hand I will use epoxy resin/fiberglass and seal the backend, also reinforcing the inside. Anyone else experience these and what can I expect? I also noticed they don't really fit exactly so I may need to heat them up to refit, we'll see... Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7640
i have em.. really nice...

they only fit 5.25 so if you have 6.5 u gotta tweak them in some way somehow..

they wont fit like nicely because they are made from plastic abs.. and now is -10 degreess..

but anyway i think u got strong bass so u should only do the polyfill and cross em at around 80hz
and if u want the extra bass get a maxxbass from waves

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4019
The ones I have are for 6.5's, the others are for the 5.25's. Speaker fit fine but I want them sealed, kinda picky ya know. I will use the epoxy resin won't mealt plastic like polyester and almost no fumes so it can be done indoors.. Polo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7642
u dont need that...u will be wasting yoru time and money just to do that... if you want greater low/mid end get a pair of 8s in your back doors

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4020
Naaa I am doin it to make it more sturdy, plus i need something to do, fcking cold out, lOl. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 928
ALELUHIA!!!!!!!!! You found the perfect spot for my 8" midbass's. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! i cant beleive i didnt think of that lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7649
6.5 will never make soo much preassure in that spot polo..

mark that was 20 bucks thank you pm me so i can give you my paypal addie

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 930
i feel like an idiot lol. I mean theres only a huge empty spot in my rear door panel, its an absoultely perfect sopt fot my 8's. just gotta get some grills for em cuz there in a very kickable spot and my friends are pretty much all retarted espichally the ones i make ride in the back lol.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 931
what are Q pods btw? where can you get them?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7653
just make an easy mold out of fiberglass to act em like they are in a sealed box... then poly fill the inside and your good to go..

you will achive a better mid to low end at that location and alot better if you got subs in the back

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 933
o so you dont buy them then, their all custom made?
how do you know how big to make the "encousure"?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7656
q logic kick pods

crutchfield sells them..

go there put your ride and look em up

if its sealed you should worry about it too much it gotta be small u just want mid-low end not low low end.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 935
true. they dont have them for my car. but they have thoes foam things that the speaker goes in. could i get thoes and fiber glass them so they are ridgid and then poly fill thoes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7659
u can even mount the 8s on the plastic door panel..

make a mdf rings for the 8s with the rings make a mold and cut the door panel when done mount the fiberglass mini box there and drop the speaker.. and ur done

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 936
thats a good idea too but these 8's cant be used to replace my 6.5's as they will only respond to 1000 hz and are rated for 150 rms each.

i think i am going to put the 8's in the rear doors using the process you have stated annd then make some enclosures for my 6.5's.

the 8's will be ran off the class D from my zx700.5 :-( and only be played from 80-200 hz i know its killing their potential but its the best i can do.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4021
They are 6.5" CVLs, with 3" VCs, I will be sending 200+rms to each so I will reinforce it. BTW I have a set of 5ks going in the door spots, all being powered by a Kicker SX900.4... Polo.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

RD 1000.1D with SI MAG...

Post Number: 17585
right now i am using the q pods for my 3 way. i really like the imaging but i will be getting rid of it when i go with a 2 way. i am just tired of my foot hitting the pod everytime i go to push the clutch in.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 940
so pretty much the smaller the better? would 2.5 inch deep be wide enough? the depth of my speakers is only like 2 inches i think. there 60.7cs

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 941
all the reviews ive read about putting your 6.5" mids in thoes sealed foam baffels says that it makes them sound bad and lose bass. is this due to the baffels flexing or somthing?

they all said it was fixed by cutting a small hole in the baffel im wondering if i fiberglass the outside if it will help sins it will make them ridgid.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17589
if you are going to use the kick panel for a 2 way i wouldn't suggest it. the 6.5 mid needs more airspace than what the kick panel can give you.

in my case, the 6.5 woofer is installed on the doors and the 5.25midranges are installed in the kick panels.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 942
alright then im just gonna leave my 6.5 mid range's running free air and then i'll put the 8's in 0.3 cube sealed enclosures in the rear door panels.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17590
no don't run it free air. don't you have space in your front doors?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5910
Polo let us know how this turns out...... I am interested to see if you can get those to seal good.

In my truck I had no room in the kickpanels and no room in the doors, so to create good enclosures for my speakers, I did a custom job sorta...... surface mounted MDF enclosures on the doors and cut the panels:

Upload

If there was any space in the doors I would have flush mounted the boxes

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17595
MS everytime i see that it just screams sq man. since the bottom half of my door panel could come off, i was thinking of doing the same thing. after i make the box for the speaker, i would then cover it with fiberglass and make it blend in with the rest of the door.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 946
"no don't run it free air. don't you have space in your front doors?"

what should i do with my 6.5" mid ranges then they will need to play from 125-3k hz will a stiffened foam speaker baffel be good? or am i going to need a larger enclosure?

I do not have room for the 8's in my front doors unless i swap then for the 6.5's but i need to run the 6.5 because thats where i get my mid range from.

should i put the 6.5 mids in the rear doors and the 8's in the front doors?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5912
That would be sweet......... what size speakers do you have?

6.5s usually need a lot of space, way more than I had, so I had to use 5.25s

They have great midrange but the problem with 5.25s is they don't have much response below ~200 hz, which has created a hole in my frequency spectrum from ~75-200 hz

I've been thinking about adding some 6.5"s or 8"s to fill the gap, but IDK where to put them. The back doors are really the only possible spot and I'm not sure how that would sound. I think it would pull the sound back too far.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17599
mark i am kinda confused. do you have a 3 way comps with 8 inch woofers, 6.5 inch mid, and tweeters?

if so then the 6.5 midrange can work in the kick pod since most of the bass for the comps will go to the 8 inch woofers.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4026
I don't plan on using 8's, my 6.5's will have to take that place so I need some lower end extension probably from 80 0r 100hz dependant on what the 5200 does in its new box. By sealing with glass and then using polly I should be able to trick it enough to think it is in a larger enclosure, thinnk I'll be ok.. Polo..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17605
i was asking mark. lol. but nice to know polo. lol.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 948
chad, i have a 6.5 inch comp set and i have added 8's for mid-bass fill. i have 60.7cs very lacking in mid bass.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17607
well if you want to add the 8s for the mid bass you are looking for, you should find a place in the front somewhere. putting them in the rear door panel might throw off the imaging.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 949
yea i know thats what i should do but i dont have any room up front.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17609
well make room mark. you can do it. i believe in you buddy.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 950
I kind of drive a pretty nice car and i dont want to have to make new door panels or a new dash board for these which is the only thing i could do to fit them up front. how bad would it ound if i put them in the rear door? better than in the rear deck?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17611
i guess it would be better than putting it in the rear deck.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 951
yea thats what i figured. im sort of hoping that since there only really going to be used for like 80-200 hz that the frequencies will be deep enough to be almost omni directional like sub bass is. not positive on this but it seems like it would be more omin directional than midrange. correct me if i am wrong. i also am going to try to mount the pointing towards the front and slightly up just to help as much as possible.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin IF IT DOESNT...

Post Number: 1295
"I've been thinking about adding some 6.5"s or 8"s to fill the gap, but IDK where to put them. The back doors are really the only possible spot and I'm not sure how that would sound. I think it would pull the sound back too far."

I kinda wanna do the same thing. I have 5.25'' components up front and have been debating weather i should get a midbass driver or coaxils and custom mount them in the doors behind me. i think i might try it out with my stock speaker to see how it sounds with highs comeing from there, then ill just rip the tweeters out and see how it sounds with just the woofer. then ill decide probobly

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17642
how are your door speakers setup for you to not get the sound you are looking for?

have you tried using some sort of deadener and seal all the openings on the door so your speaker is somewhat airtight? sometimes the way you setup the speaker makes a big difference. you might not even need the 8 inch woofers.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin IF IT DOESNT...

Post Number: 1296
well....basically im gunna be installing rear speakers in my rear doors as a fun project to do. theres a perfect spot for them and i think they would look awesome there. even when i do i will have it faded to the front most of the time anyways.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4041
Bingo Chad! >Polo..

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 957
chad if you were asking me, my doors are dead and sealed off. the 60.7cs just suck i honestly think they sound bad but then agian i have a lot of noise for some reason (pioneer head unit maybe) power and rca are on opposite sides of the car.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2680
whatever you do, seal them up as much as possible. i used them along time ago before i ever started glassing and they sucked when i just had sound deadener in them. they are a very good starting point though...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 959
i have the door panel sealed off with this black goop stuff. im not sure how well the door itself is sealed but the panel is deffinately sealed off.

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2681
well, they didnt exactly suck. its just your speakers act like their freeairing in those. just like they do when their just in your doors. i hate saying "night and day" but the difference in sound from a component set all sealed up and a component set just thrown in your door holes is "night and day"...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 961
idk maybe i need another layer of deadener or somthing. i bet if you heard mine that you would be suprised how bad they sound. its better than stock but i was expecting it to be really good and i cant say that it is.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5940
Tremor is right on...... speakers need a real enclosure to produce any good sound.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 964
so i should put my 6.5 inch drivers from my kappa 60.7cs in a sealed enclosure and they will sound better? how big? is smaller better or should i give them some good volume?

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2683
yes they will sound better. what you need though is some kickpods or some pods on your doors. until you do that its just gonna be the same ole same ole. monsoon and infinity systems in cars actually incorporate little half @$$ enclosures built inside of the doors which is a good start but if you can just get some fiberglass pods made to mount to your door or some to throw in your kicks they would sound great.

i was doing a whole system install in a friends car and i put an amped type r component set in some pods that i mounted to his doors and he told me to just hold off on a sub and amp cause its plenty of bass right now. and hes right, for him. 1 component set installed the right way, no corners cut, and he is pretty much completely satisfied with the whole range of music.

whatever though, i can rage about how door speakers suck all day but until you experiment and hear stuff for yourself you are kinda in the dark. go to your local audio shop and see if by any chance one of the guys have some nice real pods that they can show off.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 975
is a pod basically like a small enclosure? i am not sure what you mean by this. also they dont make kicks for my car but i would think that if they did they would have a certain air volume, correct? why cant i just make my own enclosure with the same volume as the pod's or kick pod's? am i missing somthing on this?

i was considering using thoes foam baffels as a base and then just fiberglassing the outside and using thoes for my pods but after reading the reviews on thoes baffels im not really sure. Do you think that if i fiberglassed the foam baffels that they would work as a "pod" since it sould be ridgid as opposed to flimsy foam.

Also i am still not sure what air volume i should be shooting for. is smaller better, or not? what range should i be shooting for?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5943
Well they are infinity's...... I don't think they'll sound great no matter what you do.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4074
Test fit, things are huge, lOl. The panel on my door for the 5 1/4's I will glass the inside, mount the mid on top of the panel not inside like the factory speaker. this will allow me to build a small enclosure inside, a pocket so to speak and I will use weather strip to seal the door panel to the door effectively sealing it and not exposing my component to the inside of my door.. Polo.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 981
M.S. thans what i was thinking but tremor thinks otherwise. i mean by no means am i an all out sq guy but the sound of my 6.5 just bothers me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us