Need advice

Username: Kadernal

Post Number: 3
Hello all,

Im currently running 2 12w6v2's in a sealed 1.25ft3 box off of a PDX 1.1000. Im really unhappy with the tone of the bass however, they seem to be really tinny as opposed to the booming bass I'm more accustomed to.

I have had these subs on numerous amps and always had a differnt bass tone (always in the same box)

I used a zapco reference 500.1 for awhile and a rockford 801x also.

I had the system installed at an authorized JL dealer but I no longer live in that state I live about 1000 miles away now, so Im at a loss as for what to do.

Ive listened to the same tracks that I feel should knock really hard on my subs in other peoples cars and the bass tone is just way far off. A good friend has 2 10w6v2s but in a ported box and most of my comparison is based off of what Ive heard in his car. I understand that the fact that im sealed and hes ported has a lot to do with it, but it doesn't make sense that the bass doesn't even hit at all on my car when it is pounding my head off in his car.

Ive tried messing with settings on my HU but nothing seems to do what im looking for. I really just want my bass to sound deeper and less tin like when it hits. Im curious if there is something wrong with my subs, I was planning on getting a ported box, but was ripped off by that belunt fellow last summer so I havent really done much with it.

A friend of mine just had a all focal speakers installed in his cayenne and the shop gave him 2- 18'' treo's for free. well not free he did drop a hefty ammount at their shop.... but he has nothing to do with them. Im wondering if my PDX would be enough to power one of these beasts.

any thoughts or help would be interested.

Thanks,

Joe

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 422
try a different box, that seems awfully small for two twelves no?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

RD 1000.1D with SI MAG...

Post Number: 17554
if the pdx amp does 1000wrms then it is enough power. more than enough.

where is your lpf set at?
is the gain on your amp set right?
are your subs dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm?
how did you wire it to the amp?

so you are saying the subs sounded good when you had other amps on it?

Post Number: 4
The PDX as far as I know pushes 1000wrms.

The LPF is set at a hair above 75
subsonic filter is at 15hz
the gain was set by the installer and is about 1.5-2/4 of the way up. next to the gain it says select with a switch and the switch is set at .1v-1.0v the other option is 2v-8v.
the subs are dual 4.

The subs sounded good when they were on the other amps. My amp died once and was replaced under warranty and after that the bass never sounded quite the same. I have heard these subs achieve much better sound on this amp.

Post Number: 5
also, I should add, that about 1 out of every 100 songs I listen to sounds quite amazing as far as bass is concerned. I just dont think its normal that on a studio quality CD the bass will be there one track and not on the next.

oh the source is an avic-d2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
if i were you, id check all your connections.
make sure your subs are wired properly to that amp. Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
"select with a switch and the switch is set at .1v-1.0v the other option is 2v-8v.
the subs are dual 4. "

is this the hu preout voltage? If so, try the other setting, 2v-8v

Post Number: 6
All the wires are run under the carpet and I cant see a single thing. I bought the car brand new so I had everything installed at a shop my friend recommended. I want to get it sorted out, what should I do look for a local shop to check it out for me?

Post Number: 7
yea its the pre-out voltage, ill try that i suppose.

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
eh, you could do that just make sure you dont get raped on labor if they try to take it in the shop for a while...had that happen for a routine check lol...but checking the wires from voice coils and speakers shouldnt be hard, just take the sub out and double check

Post Number: 8
yea thats been my main concern, im at school in south florida and dont have any tools so Im kinda in a bind. maybe the people that did my friends system will check my stuff out for me.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

RD 1000.1D with SI MAG...

Post Number: 17563
"the gain was set by the installer and is about 1.5-2/4 of the way up"

did you see if the installer used a dmm? you might want to turn the gain up a bit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us