Active setup?

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1326
How does this work?

Say I had an amp that was 75x4@ 4ohms and those channels could not be bridged, how would I use all 4 channels to run components?

This is completely new to me, so bear with me please.

Bronze Member
Username: Gustavocordero777

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 20
do you mean two components (effectively a pair of speakers) or 4 component (two pairs)?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5882
You would connect your tweeters to ch 1/2 and your mids to ch 3/4.

Then you would need to find out the proper crossover frequency between the mids and tweeters (I assume this set has a passive x-over and you want to make it active).

Then set ch 1/2 to HPF, and ch 3/4 to LPF, at that frequency.

And then you be real careful with the gain on those tweeter channels :-)

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5845
get a active crossover and basically hook up like MS said.

Bronze Member
Username: Exige

Post Number: 95
well you don't have to have an external crossover if your amp has built in controls...or your HU has crossover controls.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1327
Thanks for the answers. Is it better to run passive or active?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
active is nice cause it allows you to choose your own crossover points and the slope. it takes more time and effort and that's why most people go passive. passive is a convenience.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5911
Theres advantages to both. Passive is a lot easier, only requires 2 amplifier channels, and you don't have to worry about setting crossovers and gains individually.

With active the crossover point is more "stable"

http://www.bcae1.com/elxovsp2.htm

I've been thinking about trying an active setup on my CDTs..... but I haven't had time to play with that yet.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1328
I have to get my bearings straight after that.

Does the AR880 have the ability to set crossover points?

I have the 860MP and it has slopes, crossover I believe. 6/12/18 slopes. You can control were the signal begins from, like 100hz and above and what not.

I was looking at the US Amps AX-5600 to run my whole system. I decided against over a 1000w system for the time being.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1329
As for the set, I was going to get CDT. Then I thought about mixing mids and highs. Looking at like the ID Chameleon mid, and maybe a set of DRT-26 tweeters.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
What's your substage gonna be?

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1335
I already have a DVC 2 Ohm Type R that I am going to keep but build a ported box for.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1336
Would that amp work for the application I am thinking of using?

It's got front/rear HP 50-500Hz, 12db octave, Butterworth.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5849
the 860 will work great.

i would get something nicer the the drt26 though.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1337
Suggestions? Thats one of the nicest ones I hacve read about. I prefer a smooth silk tweeter.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5915
You would want to use the x-over on the amp, but it would be better to have an external one. HU built in ones usually don't have enough control.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
any chance of being able to run a tweeter in a small sealed enclosure?

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5851
the one on the 860 is actually pretty versital.

well are you looking for a large or small format tweeter, and whats your budget for a tweeter and how much power do you have for them.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1338
I may have room for a sealed enclosure, but not the knowhow or desire to do it. I am just going to mount them in the next to the speaker on an adapter made of MDF.

As for the tweeter, looking for something thats 1- 1.5" and around $100. The amp is 75 @ 4 ohms and 90 @ 2

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5855
i dont really know enough about the freq. response of the chameleon mid to suggest a tweet to match it well.

although that is a good set. might want to look into the set and run that active.

a diy set you might want to try is a peerless 6.5 mid matched with a seas neo tweeter.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1344
For the Peerless this is the only thing I could find http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Prod uct_Code=832513&Category_Code=P1CDCar

It's got a lot of information I know nothing about.

And for the SEAS this is what I could find
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=152&Itemid=157

Is that what you are talking about?

What all do you have to look at when making a DIY set?

Thanks for your input, David

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5860
those seas excells are very nice these are what i was talking about though http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=186&Itemid=182
thats what i have in my car and love them

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=143&products_ id=1604
i should have been a little more specific sorry, but these are the peerless i was talking about. the are home audio speakers and are 8ohm though. but efficaint. the ones you linked looked good though, i wouldnt mind testing them out.

to be honest if you are serious about doing a diy set and running active i would take a trip over to diymobileaudio.com and post their, many knowledgable people their who actually test all these speakers, their is also some good stickies their to read up on.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1394
Hey Exige, what would be a decent CDT to run this way? Like $200 or less. Thanks, David.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5976
If you're only going to spend $200 on speakers it ain't worth it to run an active setup......... if you got more high end speakers then yes.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1403
I just want to utilize what I have. I guess I'll be more patient and put some more scratch away.

What would you go with? What should I be looking at as for how to match a set of tweeters and a midbass?

I would also like to get an electronic crossover in the future when I get the other pieces.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1404
Once again, your input is greatly appreciated. David.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5866
hey i would look for the point where the mid is about to drop off in the upper hz and find a tweet that can pick up good at that point and play pretty flat.

i havnt had the cchace to check the diyma forum to see if you posted theri but seriously i would suggest posting their if your serious in an active set up.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1407
I went there and browsed, suppose I'll sign up and check them out for real. Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us