Car Audio Capacitor

Username: Krafty1224

Post Number: 1
Hi,

Just wondering if you could give me detailed directions on how to wire and charge a capacitor. I have a Kicker 750 watt amp running one 12 inch L5 and I have a 1999 honda accord. I would like to hook up either a 2 or 5 fared cap. I have been looking around on the net on how to hook it up and can not figure it out. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 71
Why do you need a 5 farad capicator for a 750 watt amp? Don't het me wrong, its your car, you do what you want, but i would use one in the event of running 2 or more amps. IMO

Post Number: 2
so you dont think i even need a cap? the headlights only dim when its up almost full volume. I just wanted to prevent damage to the alternator further down the road... it is my first system and i was told by a few people that it might be a good idea.

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1280
Don't get a crapacitor. How bad is the dimming? Slight? Noticable? Very noticable?

Caps are a bandaid. If you you're going to do it right, get a HO Alt.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5781
" i would use one in the event of running 2 or more amps. "

What?????????

A capacitor is not going to help with dimming lights or anything else, no matter have many amps you have. If your voltage is dropping below 12 volts, you need an HO alternator. If it doesn't your fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Dan,
M.S is right, a cap won't help with dimming lights. "If your voltage is dropping below 12 volts, you need an HO alternator. If it doesn't your fine." This is true. A 750 Watt amp shouldn't make the lights dim. I have a nephue that has a 1200 Watt compatition amp and his lights dim a little. No cap. if the lights dim noticeably, get a ho alt like M.S was saying

Post Number: 3
they dont dim noticeably, and whats at HO alternator?

and how do i find out the output of my alternator now its a 1999 honda accord 5 speed...

also how do i know if my voltage is dropping below 12 volts

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5808
To find out you would have to put a DMM on the battery.

HO = high output alternator. Supplies more power than a stock one.

For a 750 amp though, the stock alt is probably fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
use a voltmeter on the batt. pos from meter to pos on batt, neg on meter to neg on bat. set the meter to 12V abd run the car and the system. the reading on the meter will tell you your voltage. when you do thia, everything thats on when the lights dim should be on during this test. IMO

Silver Member
Username: Shak180

Hayward, California Usa

Post Number: 142
M.S what if your voltage is not dropping below 12 volts but you still have dimming lights, what should you do then?

my voltage while im driving peaks at around 14.2volts with the music off

when i have the sub up to the level i like it usually drops to the lowest i have seen 13.7volts

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1308
You're fine, that is well within reason. If you want more power, get a HO alt.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1309
Sorry I'm not MS though.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5843
Haha but you said exactly what I would have......

If 13.x volts is the lowest drop you get, your electrical system is probably fine. There will always be some amount of voltage drop you can't eliminate, it happens b/c the voltage regulator doesn't respond to sudden current draw by the amp quickly enough. That's not an electrical problem, just the way it is sometimes.

Post Number: 4
so overall... i dont even need a cap? because it would save me a couple hundred dollars... and even if in three years i need to replace the alternator isnt that only about 200 to replace?

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1312
No. Maybe upgrade the battery but you are kosher. And if you want to get a bigger alt down the road, they're only like $200.

Post Number: 5
i am kosher?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6658
It's a jewish thing.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1319
It just mean "all good" in Lehmans terms.

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 235
the HO alt is way more expensive than a cap from what I've seen.

"There will always be some amount of voltage drop you can't eliminate, it happens b/c the voltage regulator doesn't respond to sudden current draw by the amp quickly enough. "

Would a cap not respond fast enough ? just wondering

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6672
If that cap is storing enough power it MIGHT supply the current fast enough. Ask Polo about this, he gets no voltage drop at all. He is running a 16volt system though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us