Disappointed with 12" L5...what to do

Bronze Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Post Number: 61
Alright. So my first real set up was 2 10" Alpine Type S, dual 2 ohm in a focus zx3 hatch back. alpine mrd-m605 amp (600w rms). Im not sure what to consider these subs, but I considered them SQ. They sounded clean as long as they wernt overpowered. And they were in a sealed box. Well Im getting a new car tomorrow, hopefully, and I will eventually be putting a new system in it. Well last week my friend got his new setup for his 03' monte carlo. I helped him install it and tune it. It was 2 12" kicker L5's, dual 2 ohm, in a dual 2.5 cbu ported box. audiobahn A16000V amp. I honestly was disappointed in the SQ. Ya, it hit hard, but I didnt like the way it sounded at all. Was that cause it was in a ported box? cause that is my first experience with a ported box.

But I had been considering a near similar setup for my new car (should be cobalt SS), but Im starting to reconsider. I am wants 2 12" totalling around 1000w rms. Im thinking sealed box too, cause im afraid I dont like how they sound in a ported box. But I was thinking alpine type r's with MRP-M1000 ran at 2 ohms. (putting approx 1000w rms). Im not looking for anything insane, but somewhat decent. I am even considering keeping the stock HU, and wiring it to that. If I replace the HU however, I will also get type r components hooked to an amp that i havent looked into that much yet.

But what im asking, is would 2 type r's with a mrp-m1000 be considered good SQ without overpowering everything else stock, in say an 07 cobalt ss?

or what would be another good choice

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5756
the type r's will sound alot better than the l5s'. and the reason you didn't like the l5s' sq wasn't the box but the subs themselves. they're not made for sq, but for cheap spl.

and honestly, if you get the type rs', port them and you'll be happier with them then sealed, imo. i had a pair also and liked them better ported.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
really now...well i think i will look into it a little more, try to find some videos or something, see what over all people think about ported vs sealed for the r's. but im gonna get the r's.

also, i was looking on alpines webiste at some HU, i was actually looking at a media interface that the msrp is only 450 on. the iDA-X001. ipod interface, usb hookup, bluetooth, but no cd player. I have the 5th gen 30g ipod video, and im a audiophile basically. I always keep my ipod very neat and organized, so I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these or any info on if it would be worth it. I mean, if all else i can get a 5 cd/mp3 cd changer and add that in if i wanted. any comments on that?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids like my rhyme...

Post Number: 3737
embrace your mistake of purchasing one and use it as a learning/growing experience... get a better sub

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

RD 1000.1D with SI MAG...

Post Number: 17357
that is deep reece. lol.

derek the type r will sound clean in a ported box. don't let the L5 in ported box determine your judgement towards all ported boxes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
well it wasnt my buying experience lol...it was my friends setup that i didnt care for to much...but can someone explain to me the pros/cons of using sealed vs. ported? and recomended box size for sealed or ported that would sound the best?

and what about that media head unit...the alpine ida x001

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 126
go with a clarion or a eclipses hu. i would do about 4^3feet@32hz that would be sounding nice

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5856
If you are looking for nice clean sound, the R's in a nice box would most likely do. Or, if you want to save some money and get subs that sound better (IMHO) but are not as loud, try Phoenix Gold RSd's.

As for the x001, I would not get it. MP3 is nice when you want alot of songs on-hand, but SQ is nowhere near good 'ole WAV CD's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
what kind of box...sealed or ported?

and I really like this head unit cause it does not use cds. its made specifically for ipods and/or flash drives with mp3, aac, or wav files. I have 4000+ songs on my ipod in a very organized manor. it has 24bit DAC. I dont care about cds, if i wanted i could always get a cd changer and add that in. all my songs are mp3s and i doubt i will take the time to convert them all to wav or re-rip/download then in wav.

does clarion or eclipse have a similar head unit? one that is specifically designed for ipods?

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

They Love 2 Hate Me, Most Hated a... USA

Post Number: 1225
alpine ida-x001 no cd slot media only. first and only unit of its kind tht ive seen. i was thinking about getting it myself but changed my mind.

and my friend has 2 12" type r power by an audiobahn A8000T a piece and it gets LOUd and it hits the lows great too he has it ported trust me u wont be dissapointed in tht setup

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
well that is basically the setup im gonna get. and as far as what im gonna power it with, im looking at buying a MRP-M1000 for both...or buy another MRD-M605 amp since I already have one of those. But one on each sub giving 600w rms each.

Ported box is what I will use.

and i will prolly end up with the ida-x001
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us