W6 orr...

Username: Bn1

Post Number: 10
Im looking to get a sub and based upon reading i've come pretty close to a decision on the a 12w6.

Anyone have some alternatives and how they compare in sq and spl?

I don't need my ears to bleed or win any competitions, i just want good sound that can get loud. My budget would be in the 300 range.

Thanks for the replies.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1331
What amp do you have?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5732
A W6 will not be very loud compared to most subs, they are straight SQ subs.

How much power do you have to work with? I would recommend a SoundSplinter RL-P or SSA Icon

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I have not yet to buy an amp, I was going to buy the sub then buy the amp in accordance. The problem is, I don't want anything that requires enough wattage to have to make me upgrade electrical cause I really don't want to and can't really afford it for the time being.

Bronze Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 97
this seems like a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/PPI-PCX-1500-Car-Audio-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ290199892942QQihZ0 19QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and one of these:

http://www.audioque.com/aq/HDCSeries.htm

That would probably be a nice combo...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Yeah.. But, is my stock amp going to be able to handle that kind of power plus 150w @ 4 ohms to each of my front speakers off the stock alternator?

Btw my car is an old 94 saturn sl2.. so i would assume the electrical stuff in there is not up to par..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
woops.. i meant alternator not amp

Bronze Member

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 98
i would think you would be fine...just set your gains properly and you should be set

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
hmm.. alright then, sounds good so you don't think i need to be as conservative and stay low with wattage to a sub?

Bronze Member

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 99
most people on here recommend alt upgrades when you get running more than 1000 or so...but if you set your gains appropriately on the amps you should be okay

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hm.. alright guys, thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Admiting your an a$$ho...

Post Number: 509
setting the gain right meanin sendin less power so u might as well get a smaller amp

Bronze Member

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 100
Someone on here runs a kicker 1500 on a stock charging system.

i think you can run both amps full power just set them the correct way. a lot of it depends on the efficiency of the amplifiers. just watch your voltage and make sure it doesnt drop too much.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5754
1500w is a bit much for most stock alts

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids like my rhyme...

Post Number: 3699
i wouldnt recommend an HDC for SQ. i would go with something along the lines of an fi.Q

Silver Member

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 104
i understand that but im prett sure someone on here does it without any problems

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5758
Yea i just noticed that..... dont listen to daniel about that sub/amp thats an SPL based sub

You should keep the power at ~1000w for stock electrical.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2513
i had a kicker 1500 on a stock 124 and it was perfectly fine btw i forget what site but some site (maybe sonicelectronix.com) is sellin kicker zx1500s for 349.99 BNIB

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I would be surprised if mine was 124. I was looking at the Q and considering it but I thought it would be too powerful and would require me to upgrade electrical stuff so i ruled it out.

M.S. .. the 1000w does it have to be at a certain ohm load like for instance if i have comps running at 150 each at 4 Ohms and a sub running at like 600w for 1 ohm would that take its toll on the alt or does the amount of ohms not matter..?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5767
ohms/impedance is irrelevant here. What matters is amplifier output and, to some degree, efficiency.

With an amp of average efficiency 1000w is about the limit for the average stock alt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
alright guys.. thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us