Fuse question

Bronze Member
Username: Trunkslayer

Fl US

Post Number: 37
I know that you put a fuse after the battery to keep from damaging stuff. But im curious, the amp rating only has to be as high as the wire is rated for, correct? It doesn't matter what the fuse in the amp is, as long as it doesn't exceed the wire.

i/e. I have one amp that has two 30 amp fuses. At the battery does it matter if the fuse is 60, 80, or 100. Its 4ga wire so I think its rated at what 150.

Does the size of fuse effect power supply as long as it matches or goes beyond that of the amp's fuses?

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Admiting your an a$$ho...

Post Number: 496
i was always told to match the amp size with the rms of your speaker amp like my kx2500.1 i have a 250amp fuse but im still a nubie myself so get some more opinions

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5706
The fuse size is based on the wire, the amplifier is irrelevant as long as the wire can handle the current it will draw.

This page has charts to tell you what size wire you need and what size fuse to put on that wire:

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12889
r u talking about 1 main wire coming from ur front batt to ur amp\s or distro block ? (not to another batt in the trunk)...if yes then the way i know it is u add up the fuse ratings of ur amp\s & thats = to the size of main fuse is needed ....

Bronze Member
Username: Trunkslayer

Fl US

Post Number: 40
Do you think that using a larger fuse but within range(wire rating) would increase power output?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5712
No. Just use the largest fuse (
or close to it) specified for your gauge wire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us