Anyone ever try concrete inside their subwoofer box

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7623
I have a 6.5 tangband sub I thought about trying it with on my spl meter after I test it without it in another box to see if I get more spl using the concrete....and wondered if anyone else tried this lol

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1746
never even heard about this? What exactly do you mean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7624
I want to concrete the entire inside of my subwoofer box walls....im thinking this may increase spl and possibly change the sound of the box as well

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Admiting your an a$$ho...

Post Number: 491
sounds CRAZY enough to work let us know the results....

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12882
would like to see that done since once i double wall a box with 2) 3\4 mdf & man was it HEAVY ! ...i soon realised what a pain it would be to move so i quickly disassembled it\cut it up ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 7626
well this box is half a cubic foot so it shouldnt be too heavy....and p rick ill be sure to post the results if and when I do this

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

RD 1000.1D with SI MAG...

Post Number: 17190
try it out sean. i think it will be loud.....chad

Gold Member

Post Number: 7627
LOL ok Chad....I just might....sean

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17195
just a thought sean. wouldn't fiberglass also be tough enough so it won't flex?

also since the box is very small, i doubt putting concrete would help much. i assume you want to try concrete cause it won't flex........chad

Gold Member

Post Number: 7630
well the box vibrates a little now and so does my 1.15 cube diyma 12 box and I was thinking concrete would eliminate this problem....but I also wanna see what it does to the sound of the box as well as get results for boxes for straight spl use.....sean

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5164
yea i have used concrete check out ma ride.
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7633
did you hit 150 db with it yet lol....sean

Gold Member

Post Number: 7634
seriously though what do you think driving...sean

Gold Member

Post Number: 5166
i hit 150 on drive by with those JLs man....and the meter was placed 50 ft away!!!!lol....david :-)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6581
I don't think it will produce results. If your current box isn't flexing and doesn't leak any air I can't see any form of benefit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7635
ok Rob but out of curiousity I still might try it...if it only changes the sound its worth it

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1778
how thick are you talking about concreting it?

you would be surprised how much it will way.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17207
sean i think you should think more about doing something to your car to make it louder. like deadening here and there. checking for leaks, etc........chad

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17208
also find a most optimal place to place your sub. try to figure out where to place what so that most bass is present at where the mic is placed.......chad

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 189
I work for a high end home theater installation company. Our reference speakers are made out of concrete and are pretty amazing to listen to. The concrete allows absolutely no vibration to escape and dampens the whole box.

I would expect that it could help in score a bit (not much but a little if the box is no absolutly solid). However you would have to make it moderatly thick to be solid and compensated for volume taken up.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3953
It also allows waves to bounce back and radiate through the cone causing coloration. There is more to just the concrete, usually lined with fiberglass matting of such. In the days we use to utilize ceramic tile, much lighter, thinner and easier to work with. Believe it or not ceramics will not flex, not in the sence we would know it. Seems some peeps compeating have learned this secret, but trust me it isn't a new idea, like polyfil. Polo..

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12887
for a 6.5" speaker i would think 1.5 even 2" of mdf should be plenty strong for it ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7636
Well Joel here at my bro's house is telling me how heavy concrete really is so I wont be doing the concrete idea...but I like the ideas shared in this post and I appreciate your help guys in thinking it through

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 860
Too little concrete wouldn't matter and probably crack and crumble. Too much, or even the right amount, would lower your box airspace, and probably not increase SPL.

You don't need to use concrete, but if you must, go threaded rod and fiberglass.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5169
you can use concrete as deadening. fill your car doors with it. lol it wont flex.

Silver Member
Username: Treez

Post Number: 139
damn...i was look forward to pictures...

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3968
Bracing would go a lot further than anything else as long as it didn't cause internal turbulance. threaded rod is ok for SPL boxes but is a poor idea for a daily. Just remember everything resonates and at the right frequency so does allthread, causing an audible ringing. In the past they use to make a double baffle leaving a 1/2" spacing in between each baffle, then fill it with either sand or lead shot... Polo. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7637
"Too much, or even the right amount, would lower your box airspace, and probably not increase SPL."

I was planning on making the box the same airspace after the concrete of course

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3292
I just put cement on my sub. It deffinatly plays diffrent now.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12780
What did you do Marc? Take the advice from that guy in home audio lol???!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7673
LOL always the wise guys.....I didnt say on the sub ... I said in the box...but ive moved on now

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12786
Naw Sean. There's a guy in home audio pushing his "tip" on improving the sound from speakers involving coating the parts in elements found in concrete.

It's a kicker of a thread lolol.

Enjoy.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/424105.html

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1816
Marc, you seem to have a lot of time on your hands... hahaha. this, the vid for wheeler. funny stuff though

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Mesa, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 703
All b,u,l,l,s,h,i,t aside...

tell me more about the ceramic tile scenario. The tile must be inside the box, right? Give me a quick blueprint on a ceramic tile box, polo. You can't just tile the box... cuz it would eventually crack and break the bond wherever the thinset is forming a bond between tile and MDF. As a matter of fact, thinset won't even bond properly to MDF - period. There would need to be chicken wire and thick application of mud involved.

ha ha

you gotta explain this to me... because i've always wanted to tile or concrete the inside of my boxes... problem is... the vibration will make it break bond... then come loose... who knows what kind of mess that'll create.

more info.
more info.

even so... i know treo lined the inside of a van with concrete once... broke some records... it WILL work, you guys... but HOW?

i'm gonna try something out (top secret for now... lol) ... i'll let you guys know... in the mean time... more info please.

(by the way, i'm a tile setter - and I have enough tile to supply everyone on ecoustics with a trial amount of ceramic for this little experiment) lol

Bronze Member
Username: Oreos

Tallahassee, Florida USA

Post Number: 51
if your set on experimenting with concrete you could layer inside the box with hardy board concrete siding they sell it in 4x8 sheets from home depot or lowes but i dont know if your going to get much out of the experiment

Bronze Member

Tallahassee, Florida USA

Post Number: 52
you could set the tiles with liguid nail and grout with caulk

Bronze Member

Tallahassee, Florida USA

Post Number: 54
actually that concrete backer board for till would work even better http://hometime.com/Howto/projects/drywall/drwl_10.htm

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3296
Ive thought about that stuff too. I figure 1/2 mdf, 1/2 cement board, then tile mastic, (not thinset) and tile. Theres some other stuff out there too caled hardiboard, By mastic will take more flex then thinset.
That would be one heavy box.

heres a link to all types of material available.

http://www.ontariotile.com/backerboard.html

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Mesa, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 705
yeah... but the thing of it is:

NO FLEX

if it flexes enough to make it fall apart... well, then it was a waist of time in the first place because the point is the STOP the flex from occuring.

1/2" wonderboard is what I was thinking before... but I didn't want to tell you guys until I tried it. But, since cement board has already been mentioned... what the hell:

1. MDF
2. top of the line "flex" thinset mortar
(homedepot: flex bond - green bag - $28
lowe's: ultra flex - white and orange bag - $23)
3. scratch coat the MDF with the thinset for a mechanical bond
4. use 1/4 x 1/4 inch notched trowel to spread bed of thinset over MDF
5. quickly install wonderboard of thinset bed and "mush" it in completely
6. even QUICKlier screw the wonderboard down to the MDF with backerboard screws (which have a varied thread that is needed for keeping a tight hold)
7. use extra screws near the seams and corners
8. use netting tape on ALL seems
9. mix more thinset and flat trowel it over all the netting tape you've applied to the seams of the box to make it all bond together to be the equivalent of a solid piece of concrete... all the way around.
10. let it cure for at least 24 hours

here's what i'm wondering:
11? use large pieces of ceramic or porcelain tile to actually "tile" the box?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3329
Tile would give it some more mass.

Just throwing it out there...but
3/4 mdf
1/2 wonderboard
1/2,- 3/4 mdf.
light thinset inbetween layers to bond and screw with 1 and 5/8 or 1 and 3/4 screws.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7721
man I thought this thread would die but you guys arent going to give up on it are you

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12914
Without effort there is no success Sean.....

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12955
just get a darn prefab box will ya ......

Gold Member

Post Number: 7722
im siked I definately want to hear about this when its done.....I also would like to see a comparison spl wise too through the complete frequency range against a box done with just .75 mdf

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4032
Again for SPL concrete would work nice BUT the SQ will go out the window unless the inside is lined with a non-reflective material but even then said material would cause turbulance and hurt SPL... Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 555
lmao marc

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 370
Meade used sheetrock on his civic build

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1635
ive seen somewhere.where somebody used 2 sheets of mdf for there box.they put concrete in between the sheets of mdf.cant remember where i seen this tho
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us