Help. Sony or Jl ???

Username: Superrober

Post Number: 8
Hello

I have credit in an audio store and can only choose between two amps, a 600w Sony or a 400w JL ( A4300)

I own an MB Quart component in the front and Crossfire component in the back

Please help me choose!! The JL is more expensive but the Sony has more power. I understand that will offer me cleaner sound right?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1452
I doubt the Sony produces more power than the JL. Sony is one of the many companies that likes to market max power output, which is basically a meaningless number.

Besides, the JL's quality is better in every way.

What's the model number of the Sony.

Post Number: 9
The sony is XM-554ZR. I didnt find any reviews for the sony. Is'n it the more power the better when choosing an amp, regardless of the brand?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5724
jl. sony sucks and shouldn't even be mentioned in the sentance.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5616
Hahahaha that is no contest....... JL by far

Silver Member
Username: Tpa954

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 140
Usually you wanna go with what matches up with your speakers the best , not just going off of power . As for JL or Sony amp , JL will always be better in any regards to car audio. Sony lives off there name and nothing more, while JL lives of the quality of there products . Go with the JL, hands down.....

Silver Member
Username: Tpa954

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 141
also even tho the sony says it produces 600 watts it probably closer to 350-450. As for the jl saying it pushes out 400 watts of power it probably 400-500 watts of actual power With much better quality components.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 765
The sony amp is suppose to do 220 watts rms. So in this case the JL is more powerful and is WAY better in quality.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1453
"The sony amp is suppose to do 220 watts rms. So in this case the JL is more powerful and is WAY better in quality."
Right.
Roberto, yes, plenty of power is almost always a good thing, but you have to know what you're comparing. If you see a $100 amp that claims 600w, look closer. Always compare RMS power. Everything else - MAX, dynamic, peak - is meaningless.

The Sony is 55w x 4 at 4 ohms, 65x4 at 2 ohms or 130w x 2 bridged. Those are the RMS numbers.

The JL is 70w x 4 at 4 ohms, 110 x 4 at 2 ohms or 220w x 2 bridged.

The JL IS the more powerful amp AND it's a higher quality amp in all categories.

Post Number: 10
I just installed the Jl based on your advices and MAN am I happy!! Just perfect! Even my wife was impressed and she hates this things.

I was about to choose the sony based on the seller's opinion but now I see he only wanted to get rid of the sony.

THANKS!!

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6542
Keep in mind that JL amps are very efficient.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Meaning that I will never get any distortion from my speakers right?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6546
No but the amplifier won't put a large strain on your charging system.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1456
Keep in mind that JL amps are very efficient.

Of all the things JL amps are, efficient isn't one of them. Their slash sub amps are the least efficient class D's I've seen.

Their a/b amps are average in efficiency. 30-60% just like every other brand.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us