New box plans. make sure this look legit.

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 795
Upload

thats my sh1tty drawing of the new box im going to build. subs and port firing forewards into the cabin. its 37.5 wide and 25 deep and 14.5 high.

is it cool if i use half inch mdf to make the port or do i need the 3/4 inch?

also the port is 4x13 in this particular design and there is 2 inches from the back of the box is this ok? since the effective area would be half of the total area for each sub? give me your opinions on this.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 797
btw its 2.65 cubes before driver displacement and tunes to about 32 hz.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 799
any opinions on this? i want to start building asap since school starts tuesday and im not gonna have much time once that happens.

Silver Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 256
That 2" thing at the back is going to f.ck you over I think.

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

Team revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 746
if you use a 4" wide port you need a min. of 4" from the back wall

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7590
what type of vehicle is this going in?

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 2789
"That 2" thing at the back is going to f.ck you over I think."

You mean the double baffle on the front? I think thats what you meant...its 1.5" and will be perfectly fine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2790
^^^nevermind, your talking about the space between the port and the back wall.

Yeah Mark, like scott said, you will need to have a min. of a 4" space from the back wall. Just take 2" off each port wall and turn them in 2"

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12602
Nobody likes a weezy box.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 800
sean its going into a 2000 Chrysler 300M.

would 4 inches from the back wall be plenty tho or should i strive for more? i am just going to make the port slightly external to pick up the extra spacing in the back.

do you all think with that vent area (52in) i shouldnt have any vent noise and not lose to much output?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 801
o shoot is .5 inch mdf ok to use for the port walls? or should i deffinately use .75"

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12856
distance of port from back wall should be @ least width of the port so if ur port is 6" wide then it should be @ least 6" from back wall .......

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12857
oh & stick with 3\4mdf for ur port walls ......

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 804
alright then ill make the external part stick out 3 inches just for good measure. thats a pretty simple fix.

still wondering aobut the .5 inch mdf for the port walls tho. is that ok to use or is it going to be to flimsy?

also still wondering if im going to have problems with 52 incles of port.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 806
whats wrong with external?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 807
An L shape or T shape? it seems like it would be werid if i did L shape.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2793
Like this...

Upload

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 809
thats not too much area at the openings?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 810
also whats wrong with going slightly external?

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12859
nothing much but it just looks weird -lol ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 7609
"also still wondering if im going to have problems with 52 incles of port."

watch like I said before youll have no problems with the port at the power your using

Gold Member

Post Number: 7610
sean its going into a 2000 Chrysler 300M.

that sub and port arrangement should be good

would 4 inches from the back wall be plenty tho or should i strive for more?

four inches should be fine ive done the port width rules before and it worked but you can give it more if you want to...give it 6 for good measure it might give you more output

i am just going to make the port slightly external to pick up the extra spacing in the back.

that will be fine and ideally you want a straight port with no turns for the best output so going external a bit fixes your problems

52 inches of port will be fine

o shoot is .5 inch mdf ok to use for the port walls? or should i deffinately use .75"

go with .75

Gold Member

Post Number: 7611
"that sub and port arrangement should be good"

if your going sub front port front ....I think that will work best then just play around with placement in the car...you can go sub back port back, sub up port up, sub forward port forward, with that arrangement

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 821
thanks sean. you the man.

am i the only one that thinks having a partial external port would look cool?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7612
yw...try to make the port and sub able to fire into the cab if your going to fold the seats down

Gold Member

Post Number: 7614
if testing the box firing forward that is

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 823
"yw..." whats that supposed to mean?

but yea thats what i plan on doing. there should be only about a quarter inch of room all the way around the perimiter of the box but i cant seal if off because i need the ability to slide it foreward to get to my spair

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

Team revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 756
its just as important to let the port have decent room to breathe outside the box also....and yw means your welcome

Gold Member

Post Number: 7618
^^^that was me

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 839
oh the port will be breathing alright. it is going to be facing into the giant cabin of my car and im going to make a cut through via my rear arm rest so all i'll have to do is fold down the arm rest to give it extra room to breathe. even though it should have plenty of room even if i dont do that and have the seats folded up due to the box face is going to be flat and the seat backs are at a nice angle. should have at minumun 3 inches at the top probably like 8+ at the bottom

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 63
Mark,
"its 2.65 cubes before driver displacement and tunes to about 32 hz." How do you figure cubes and how it tunes????

Gold Member

Post Number: 7621
well try the box in various positions....firing into the cab may not be the best way to fire it...test it and see is the only way to know for sure

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 840
zach the tuning on 32hz i found was with 2.5 net cubes so that would be after driver displacement.

and sean the way i position my box is the derermining factor of how i will build it. if im goin gto point the subs back then i am going to make the box narrower and taller then if i am going to point htem foreward. if i point them foreward i am going to just about completely fill up the opening under my rear support beam so that i can easily add and remove a foam sealing gasket.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7625
ok sounds like you have your mind kinda set on firing forward but if you fire backward id make the box less tall and make it wider instead because I think the pressure will get into the cab better that way... especially if you remove your rear speakers to let the sound roll into the cab better as well

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 841
i will have the rear seats folded down most of the time to let the bass in and even if they are up due to passengers, i am going to construck a passage behind the rear fold down arm rest to allow the bass in.

i think im just going to make the box fore foreward tho. that will be my best bet i think. i honestly dont see how i could build up more pressure in the cabin if they were firing back any ways.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7628
well your loudest postion isnt always the way you expect it to be

Gold Member

Post Number: 7629
but its your install and what you want that counts

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 844
yea i just posted a thread on a 300M forum hopefully they will be able to tell my how to face them.

most of the people on that site have them walled off facing into the trunk and just have holes in the rear deck to let the bass pass through i dont htink that would be loud at all tho. plus my trunk lid will probably be going nuts and i am putting my amp on that so im will probably go forwards either way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7631
your putting your amp on your trunk lid.... I wouldnt but im figuring you meant something else

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 848
yes, on the trunk lid. thats where i had my old amp, looks very sexy imo. it kinda sux for weight tho, the lid is really heavy to lift and when idiots (99.9% of my friends) try to close my trunk they some how dont see a $300 30lb amp staring them in the face and just let it slam. i really need to get more hefty gas shocks for my lid but cant find any.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7632
the slamming lid (a good way to damage an amp) and extra weight is exactly why I suggested not putting it there

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 849
yea i know its not the best location in terms of practicality but it looks really nice
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us