What do you think?!

Username: Iceman600

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1
i dnt know if this is the right room for this thread but what the heck, it about car speakers so here it goes...

im trying to make a subwoofer to put it in my room using car subwoofers. and this is what i come up with...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6538_Cerwin-Vega+VMX-15.4.html
(subwoofer)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7499_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1SV15.html
(box)
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Technical-Pro-3000W-Digital-Home-Receiver/2 283896/product.html
(home amp)

will this project of mine will work?!
and im planning to hook up the reciever to my pc so i can play tunes using winamp.

need advice b4 i start buying things... thanks a lot

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUB...

Post Number: 1179
Dont get a prefab box. Better to build your own, prefab = junk

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 2
i dont have the resources to build one. maybe i can stick witth prefab for a while. what my main concern is will this projact of mine will work?
thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12581
Yes. I personally have no experience with those brands but it has been done before.

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 3
thank you very much... so do you guys have any suggestions how i could power up the speaker besides the amp that i choose? coz i dnt have the experience making this stuff... and i know you guys are the experts.
thanks in advance. hope anybody here can help me.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12845
then why not buy a large sealed box & port it with some aeroports ......

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5609
Prefab boxes suck. If you're not building it you need to buy a box built to the specs of your subs.

www.fishercustoms.com

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7568
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-745

buy this amp for 299 plus shipping and youll get 1400 watts rms at 4 ohm bridged or 2 x 700 at 2 ohms stereo (true power) unlike the one you listed

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-747

for 349 plus shipping for 2 x 1200 at 2 ohms stereo or 2400 watts at 4 ohm bridged

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-749

2 x 230 into 4 ohms stereo or 500 watts rms into 8 ohms bridged and its fanless for 199.99 plus shipping

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 4
thanks for the response guys.
question...
why is the amp that i choose not good for my subs? it got 3000w of power compare to 1400 watts rms at 4 ohm bridged or 2 x 700 at 2 ohms stereo (true power) like what sean said. or the 2 x 230 into 4 ohms stereo or 500 watts rms into 8 ohms bridged. can someone pls explain to me the diffrence?
and i thank you all for helping me.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1371
The amp you picked out does not do 3000 at all. It is 3000watts PEAK power. You will not see that at all.

Here are the real specs it lists:
800 watts @ 2 ohm * 550 watts @ 4 ohm * 300 watts @ 8 ohm

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 5
sean i read some stuff about the amp you suggested... the Professional 500-Watt Reference-Class Studio Power Amplifier,the last one in you list. it says that it delivers 2 x 230 Watts into 4 Ohms or 500 Watts into 8 Ohms bridged. the spaker that i choose is 4 ohms with 600w rms. how can the amp deliver the power if the amp got only 230 w into 4 ohms. im confused. sorry for being stupid but i just wanna know the logic behind it. and besides this is a new learning experince for me. thank you again guys.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1372
Your sub will only run at 2 ohms or 8 ohms unless you are running two of them.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 139
that sub you put up is dual 4 ohm. so you put wire it to 2 ohms.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12598
I hate peak wattage ratings.

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 6
pls explain more if you dnt mind? why is it that my speaker will only run at 2 or 8 ohms? and if it does still the amp that i choose will deliver the power right?
and one more thing tho... the reference amp A500 that sean suggested, the one that delivers 2 x 230 Watts into 4 Ohms or 500 Watts into 8 Ohms bridged. can that brings out the power of my subs?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7578
"can that brings out the power of my subs?"

are you planning on running one or two subs?...im guessing you meant sub meaning one...if so that is a dual voice coil sub (dual 4 ohm) so you can only wire it to 2 ohms or 8 ohms

The only draw back I can see with the A500 is it doesnt have subwoofer filtering at all but if your sub is tuned low enough that shouldnt be a problem...personally for 150 bucks for that sub id pick another brand that will sound better for your design goals

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 7
thanks sean...
well im planning one sub for the moment coz its just for my room. well maybe after i got this thing pumping the way i wanted i will do another one.(BIGGER )

so i'll be staying staying at the A500. coz i trust you man. and besides i dnt have any experince on this. so A500 will be great! and is a lot more cheaper!

so now that i got my amp. what sub will you recomend? since you told me to pick another one. what brand will you recomend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7579
can you purchase from ebay or no?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7580
if so this image dynamics 12 dual 4 ohm would do VERY well for home use it will hit low and serve you a long time if its not abused....I own a similar line by the company in a 12 like this one...dont let the cone size fool you it will perform

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-ID-12D4-Image-Dynamics-Dual-4-Ohm-Subwoofer-ID12d4_W0QQit emZ180208146690QQihZ008QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 7582
its rated 400 rms but as long as you dont push the volume too much it will be fine

Gold Member

Post Number: 7583
make sure you decide which way your going now because if your going to uprade later you might wanna spring for the larger amp i posted and save up more money for the subs

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 8
yeah i can purchase on ebay... but i dnt know the brand man! is that good? im having second thoughts about your warning tho.

"its rated 400 rms but as long as you dont push the volume too much it will be fine"

and the rms of this is only 400 the cerwin-vega i choose have 600 rma. is 400 rma better than 600?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7584
unless your just going to buy a second a500 with two image dynamics....youll just have too make sure you can get a second sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 7585
ok how about this one from resonant enginnering the se 12 its a little over your buget but very much worth getting at 165.10 shipped 600 rms

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RE-AUDIO-SE12-12-CAR-STEREO-SUBWOOFER-1200W-WOOFER_W0QQi temZ270205221045QQihZ017QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 10
its good tho.. i like it... but is that actually the same as cerwin-vega? no dont get me wrong bout always asking but what is it that you dont like bout the cerwin -vega? i mean they got the same 600 rma right? and the cerwin-vega is 3" bigger.(bigger looks cool esp if im going single, right)

and i've been planning to purchase the amp today but my girl told me to find a cheapper one. you know girls right... and i found this...

http://www.musician.com/product/Gem-Sound-XP550-Stereo-Power-Amp?sku=481218&src= GWFRWXX&CAWELAID=28555945

it has "500W/ch RMS @ 4 ohms stereo" i think this is not enuf for the sub that i wanted right?

just want your opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7587
im looking at the sound quality the strength of the build and the ability to play clean down low for music and movies too if you ever use it as a home theater sub...it will be better than the cerwin-vega overall ...that amp looks very cheap id steer clear

Bronze Member

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 11
ok... thanks for your help sean. tug you soon after i make this subs of mine pumping. maybe ill stick to what you've told me. i will get the one from resonant enginnering the se 12 and the A500 power amp. thaks again sean

Gold Member

Post Number: 7591
youll be

Bronze Member

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 12
QUESTION...

1. if the delivered rma of the amp to the sub is lower than the rma of the sub, is that ok?

2. will it still produce great bass sound? (that chest punching sound i mean)

example:
a500 amp with a 2x230 watts on 4 ohm. with a sub with 600 rma

3. in the amp like the A500 with a feature of
2 x 230 in 4 ohms and 500 Watts into 8 ohms in bridged mono operation.

a.) what does 2 x 230 in 4 ohms mean?
b.) what does 500 watts into 8 ohms in bridge mono operation means?

hope someone can explain this this to me... sorry guys, im just so intrested in knowing this kind of stuff. thank you

}}}

Gold Member

Post Number: 7592
ok 2 x 230 means 230 per channel in this case it means left and right (in stereo)

true power readings are measured in rms..not rma like you called it

ohms are the measure of resistance and in this case you using the a500 in bridged mode you want a 8 ohm load

It is ok to use less power than the subwoofer is rated to handle but if its too low the sub may not perform to its full potential but a little less power isnt bad...over powering can be ok but the speaker must be used and set up properly

Bronze Member

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 13
ok... this is what i understand on what you have said... pls correct me if im wrong.

...if i will set up my sub i will go with the 8 ohms in bridge mono coz it supplies 500 watts and the sub can handle 600 right?!
...it is ok to put a low power amp than the subs can handle but if it is too low, subs will not work its full potential.
...overpowering the subs is bad.( like having 1000 rma amp hook up to a 600 rma subs.)

am i right? sorry for being dumb

Gold Member

Post Number: 7593
you are right

Gold Member

Post Number: 7594
but realize bridging that amp makes it so you can only use it for the subwoofer....you would need a reciever to drive other speakers for the vocals etc

Gold Member

Post Number: 7595
will this project of mine will work?!
"and im planning to hook up the reciever to my pc so i can play tunes using winamp"

ok im sorry based on this comment you made above we need to stop where were at.....you dont have a reciever by the sounds of it and the amp I showed you doesnt have a crossover built in so you would have to add one which costs more

Bronze Member

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 14
but realize bridging that amp makes it so you can only use it for the subwoofer....you would need a reciever to drive other speakers for the vocals etc

im confuse again?! why do i need a reciever this time?

ok here my original plan... i want to hook up a powerful sub into my pc. i know a reciever can be hooked up to a pc right? thats why its all started. thats why i picked the Technical Pro 3000W Digital Home Receiver to power the sub and hook it up to my pc.

is that plan bad? i mean not good? should i purchase a reciever to hook up the A500 to it and hook the reciever to my pc

dnt know what to do now...
HELP!!! i want the subs!!!

Bronze Member

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 15
WAIT WAIT WAIT... I can produce a reciever. just to go to my parents and there is one their not using. its a pioneer. i can hook that up to my pc. now the only problem will be how to power up the sub and hook it up to the reciever. if the A500 is not applicable. what amp will be hooked up with the reciever.
whoo.. i almost give up there...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7596
you can do that with a home theater reciever and then add a subwoofer and amp and plug it into the subwoofer out .....and use it for movies and regular stereo use and later add the rest of the speakers for the complete surround sound effect for movies ....you can hook your pc up to this setup with the right cabling....I did this setup

Bronze Member

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 16
so still i can use the A500 amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7599
using it as a subwoofer amp wouldnt be a good choice because it doesnt have an adjustable subwoofer crossover built in....i dont think any of those amps I mentioned have one...sorry I missed that

Gold Member

Post Number: 7600
to make a long story short a passive crossover would be pretty much a pain thats why im recommending one built into the amplifier

Gold Member

Post Number: 7602
im gonna sign off for the night ill try to check back another day soon

Bronze Member

Miramar, Florida Usa

Post Number: 17
thank for your help sean. since we've come this far if it is ok with you, can you pls give me a list to built my dream sounds. just want to have a power subs hook up to my pc just like in my car. thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us