Polyfill questions??/?

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 782
ok so im still trying to design a new box for my new subs because i want the most out of them but i dont think i will be able to fit any box larger than my current box into my trunk even if i temporarily take the back seat out cuz i dont think it will fit in the door opening.

but anyways i am thinking of using polyfill. im just wondering do i calculate the port tuning based on the box without the polyfill or do i calculate it based on the effective volume with the polyfill?

also how much volume does polyfill "add"?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

RD 1000.1D with SI MAG...

Post Number: 17036
i only saw people use polyfill with sealed boxes.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12573
"also how much volume does polyfill "add"?"

That's a good question. There are many variables.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Silver Member
Username: Ska

Post Number: 114
if you use a sealed box do that, but if your going ported, don't use poly, it throws off the tuning of the port

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 783
damn!
i think im screwed because my maximum outer dimensions are 37.5 wide, 14.5 high, and 25 deep"

that only equates to 6.16 internal cubic feet total im not gonna have any room for a decent sized port.

Silver Member
Username: Ska

Post Number: 116
what about adding a port on the out side? instead of having it on the inside?

because with ports your lose alot of cube feet to the port but having it exturnally might fix it, but idk how that would affect the port tuning :-(

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 784
that might work but i dont think it will help much because the ports still must exit out the front of the box.

my problem is that i want to be able to get to my spair if i need it but my trunk opening is only 12 tall and 11 deep and gets very narrow at the bottom only like 32 inches wide, even tho my trunk is nearly 17 cubes net. this prohibits me to make a box that will fit into trunk opening.

And the space under the rear deck has a retartedly huge support beam that will only allow me to have 14.5 inches tall and 37.5 inches wide and thats pushing it (thats how wide and tall my current box is and i have to take the entire rear seats out in order to install or remove it due to the slant in the seats when they are folded down)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17039
why don't you use aeroports. less displacement. also don't worry about port area too much in your case. better to build the box as biggest possible and sacrifice some port area than to build a box too small so you can have bigger port area.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 786
but how much output would i lose between 100 and 50 sqin of port if their both 5 cubes net?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7571
"but anyways i am thinking of using polyfill. im just wondering do i calculate the port tuning based on the box without the polyfill or do i calculate it based on the effective volume with the polyfill?"

with polyfill (in sheet form for a ported box and staple or glue it in) and use Paul Larrea's link as a guide....you could also stuff the sheet in temporarily by packing it semi tight without glue or staples to see how you like the sound or to mess with tuning

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 1081
Why don't you just go with a different pair of subs that sound good sealed or require less box size. Ikno the sx doesn't need a huge box but if it isn't ideal for you to go with those subs bcuz of the box situation they maybe you might want to change your mind.
Or you could go with a single subs setup that compares to the SX's

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 787
well i have 2000 rms @ 1 ohm so i want to utilize that to its full potential. and i want a lot of SPL but am not turned off by SQ(obviosly) so can you reccomend a single sub that will get just as loud as the sx's or 2 12's that will get just as loud sealed?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1083
A 12"? Or can u squeeze a 15" n there?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1084
Never heard either but maybe a loaded BTL ported might out do 2 SX's or gimme a sec to check something

Gold Member

Post Number: 1085
Try 2 12" Soundstream SPLX in a sealed box their is a guy tht works at a pep boys around here that has 1 15" in a acura coupe and tht things slams pretty hard. Now idk how they will compare to the SX's but its worth a shot plus from what I hear SX's destroy ur car and I'm sure u dnt want tht.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1086
O and 1 more!! I'm sure they don't get as loud as the SX's. But kicker CVX's get LOUD in sealed enclosures 800 RMS a piece I'm sure your prolly not interested in those but sometimes you gota settle for less if u dnt have the space requirements you know what I mean??

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17045
100 sq in for a 5 cuft box??? are you only going for spl or something?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 788
"A 12"? Or can u squeeze a 15" n there?"

id prefer a 12 or 2 cuz my opening into the cabin is only 14.5" maximum but i could deffinately squeeze a 15 in there.

"what I hear SX's destroy ur car and I'm sure u dnt want tht."

yes i do lol.

"100 sq in for a 5 cuft box??? are you only going for spl or something?"

i am going for mostly spl but i dont want it to sound like trash either. A friend of mine suggested doing half of the total cone area for thhe port area. he said that would sound really good. hes really into sq so i listened to him.

Chad, do you think 75 sqin would be good or should i go smaller still. i would prefer to go as small as possible but i dont want to lose output or have port noise, cuz i hear these subs move a ton of air.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17046
i would do 50 sq in for 5 cuft box. not a big fan of big port area. i like to go by 10sq in per cuft. sometimes 8.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 789
wow thats gonna save me a ton of room if i do 50. but am i going to lose output and/or have vent noise with a pair of sx's in there?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 790
i think this might call for a new thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us