What's a good 1000watt amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Jeld135

Danvers, MA

Post Number: 17
I need to power 2 12" Type R alpine's(1000w rms). I was thinking about the alpine pdx-1.1000 but does anyone have any suggestion for a better amp?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5599
Whats the budget, and what ohm coils are the subs? That alpine is a great amp but expensive.

If those subs are dual 4 ohm:

Audioque 1200d
Sundown SAE-1000d
Rockford Fosgate t10001bd

The AQ is probably the lowest cost GOOD amp you will find.

If they're dual 2 ohm, Kicker ZX1000.1

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1449
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5822
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=471
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2696
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_4022_Memphis+16-MCD1000.html

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5603
The amps I posted cost a lot less and are better than some of those

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1770
if you're interested, I have a RD1000.1 1100wrms@ 1 ohm that I will be putting up for sale here soon for a good price.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1451
"The amps I posted cost a lot less and are better than some of those"

Only the AQ is significantly less expensive, and "better" is strictly a matter of opinion.

Besides, the guy is looking at the pdx1000 so obviously spending $400+ for a quality amp is not a problem.

Sundown and AQ are upstart compaines that happen to be the "in" thing right now. For all we know they could be gone tomorrow. I personally believe PG, Premier, Memphis, and Diamond would all be better investments.

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1192
NINe.1 for budget and power. JMO.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5131
what optidriven said is true.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5613
AQ/DD has been around for quite a while.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1454
AQ/DD???

one company supplying some subs for another HARDLY makes them the same company.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5630
Most of AQ's stuff comes from DD's build house and they are both owned by members of the same family.

Bronze Member
Username: Jones82joshua

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 45
What would it matter if AQ DD or Sundown were gone tomorrow? Would you base build quality on how long a company has been around? If that's the case, are you going to recommend boss? No contest.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6544
"Sundown and AQ are upstart compaines that happen to be the "in" thing right now. For all we know they could be gone tomorrow. I personally believe PG, Premier, Memphis, and Diamond would all be better investments."

What's your point? Any company can be gone tomorrow so what you've said is fairly stupid. Anyhow... I'd say forget about PG,Premier and Memphis. I'd look into a JL 1000/1 that's used but not abused because of their efficiency. A Sundown would be a great choice as well and their resale value is great as well. AQ uses pratices and tech carried over from DD but they use parts that are a bit less expensive. AQ is owned by the Father of the owner of Digital Designs(Someone correct me if I'm wrong). Another thing to keep in mind is the BS that's happening with TC Sounds, they've been around ages and are gone. PG is no longer what PG used to be. Just because you have a name that's been around 20-30 years means nothing.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1458
geezus, did the morons come out to play today?
A guy provides a couple good suggestions and...wow...

First of all, JL's slash D's are NOT efficient. From the tests I've seen they're the LEAST efficient class D's on the market. The PG xenon's were some of the most soughtafter sub amps available about a year ago, but since they're no longer the "in thing" everyone's going to dump on them?? Get a clue. They're ridiculously under-rated, and regulated power output from 1-4 ohms (similar to the JL amps, but WAY more efficient), but I guess you've all forgotten about them in favor of the monthly fad brands.
And Rob, Mr. Amplifier Authority -- You're going to choose JL over Pio, PG and Mem based on efficiency?? I guess if I'm "fairly stupid" you must be a complete moron.

As for my point -- if you buy a pioneer or PG or RF and have trouble a year down the road you know those companies will still be there and you know with some certainty they're going to stand behind their products.

AQ? SD? Who knows.

And 2 or 3 years down the road when you decide to go a different route who the hell's going to want an amp from a company that doesn't even exist any more??

And again - aq and DD have some of their subs built at the same location. If that's enough evidence for you to recommend AQ's amps because they're in some way equal to DD's you're probably not the type of person ANYONE should be taking advice from.

If you want to disagree with me fine, but don't try to punk me out. I try to make sure everything I recommend and every opinion I give is either well founded in verifyable fact or pretty straightforward logic.

Yeah, buy a Boss, that's what I said...retard. If that's the conclusion you drew from the suggestions I made, do us all a favor - READ, don't POST.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5636
Who cares if something is popular or the current trend?

All I consider when choosing an amplifier is quality, power, price.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1775
can you prove that ANY company will be around next year?
what would it matter if a company no longer exists, if they were known for their build quality, they will be known for their build quality. when buying used, that's exactly what you are doing, there are no guarantees with anything used.

Username: Blaaaahhhhh

Warrior, Alabama Usa

Post Number: 6
Wtf? I thought 1000 watts is wat those type r's peaked at and that the type x's were the ones that had the 1000 watt rms?

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 225
hes got 2 type-r's

2x500=1000

Username: Blaaaahhhhh

Warrior, Alabama Usa

Post Number: 7
Haaa I'm such a neewb

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 230
lol its all good man. you just didnt catch it.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1435
I run things that are out of style, all sony and pyramid baby!

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 233
lmao^^^

out of sony or pyramid...i would prefer stock

Bronze Member

Danvers, MA

Post Number: 18
Instead of buying a 1000 watt amp to power the types r's could i use my alpine mrp-m650(600wrms@2ohm) and buy another smaller mono amp(around 400wrms@2ohm) to do the rest or is this not recommended.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1437
I would not run 2 different amps to seperate subs, better to get a larger one to run both.

The subs would get different amounts of power, setting the gain, lpf, hpf on each amp....it's highly not reccomended.

If you want something easy on a budget grab a 1600/2000 Hifonics amp to run those subs.

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 248
i say get a RF T1000.1...they actually put out close to 1400rms at 1ohm. that amp would make those type-r's shine!!!

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5649
^^^^^ good choice thats why I listed it, but the Audioque and Sundown will cost less.

Bronze Member

Danvers, MA

Post Number: 20
Is there anyway to bridge 2 mono amps so that each sub will get equal power?

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 266
they have to be the exact same amp. running 2 different amp is HIGHLY not recommended

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5699
Not only that, it is highly recommended that the amps be linkable or strappable if you're going to run 2 of them.

Bronze Member
Username: Kober

Post Number: 46
If I wanted to save a bit of Money Whats the next best thing down from a 1000/1?

Bronze Member

Danvers, MA

Post Number: 24
Would a MTX THUNDER 81000D amp be good for the two typre R's?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5762
no MTX are not good quality amps

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 288
RF T1000bd

kicker kx1200.1

both will put out about the same watts

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1463
"no MTX are not good quality amps"

what about this says "not good quality" to you?

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/MTX_Thunder_81000D/inside2.jpg,http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/MTX_Thunder_81000D/inside2.jpg

Jeff, the 81000D will PUNISH a couple dvc 2 type R's.

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 294
i have had a few friends buy MTX amps. all hated them and then switched to a kicker, never looked back.

do it right the first time and get some QUALITY!

RF
Kicker
Sundown
AQ
RD

to the first post, the apline pdx amp is a SOLID amp. its got a small footprint so its good if you need to save on space. however it does not go easy on the wallet.

all amps in this post > MTX

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1250
I have an older MTX amp. It does alright. Would've rather have gotten an Art Series for my speakers but oh well.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5772
Just to clarify about MTX

They used to make good amps, not anymore. Their old amps are good.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1257
Just like most companies.. unfortunately.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us