Free air sub??

Bronze Member
Username: Ska

Post Number: 84
Hey guys, do any of you guys know of any free air subs that would fit my car? i believe the size of subs is 7 7/8 or so i just got new kicker comps for my doors and everything and now i need a new sub because the stock one was takin out.

I need it to be able to run off little or no extra power off the deck

My deck is an Alpine CDA-9813

any and all help is appreciated

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
i found out some specs, its an 8 inch spot, so i was thinking if i should fabricate a box and put an 8w3v2 in there? would this be a good idea or no?

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 761
sounds like a good idea if you ask me i have 2 8's in my rear shelf but i use them mainly for midbass since my comps suck at it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
i was lookin at a lexus forum and they said you can fit a 10 with a little fab... should i do this instead?

my car has NO bass what so ever so im in dire need of some lol

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2046
You really can do either. A box can be built around the sub so you can run almost anything. However, free air works as well. I'm running two Kicker SSMB8s in the deck. They're alright, but I guess I wouldn't suggest it. It's up to you how much fabricating you want to do.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 762
if you are trying to preserve yor trunk but dont mind doing the small amount of fab required and dont really need a ton of output the run a 10 free air. if you wouldnt mind losing a small amount of space and want more output then build a small box for it.

personally if i was trying to retain my whole trunk i would do the 10 job but put a small sealed box around it that would give you the most output for space take up. i would just make the box as shallow as possible (maybe a shallow mount sub) and just make it wide to make up most of the volume.

i am not really sure you would want to run them off of the deck tho cuz thats only like 40 watts bridged @ like 8 ohms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
yea, what would you guys recomend? my cousin bought a treo ssi 10 and i love it, what would be another good sub for around that price? i would like to be able to run a kicker zx750.1 on the sub so any ideas?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 763
well assuming your going to do the enclosure and 10 inch deal, that would work pretty well. never heard it but it should take the 800+ watts you will be throwing at it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
yea my cousin has the exact set up i want to get...

I would like to run a 12 but that will be alot of fabricaion...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 766
is there just a hole in the rear deck where a free air sub used to be? got any pics?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
yea just a hold leading from the "cabbin" to the trunk no pics yet. its just a big hole from where the stock 8" sub used to be

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 775
seems like you shold easily be able to mod it to fit a 12 or even a 15 or 18 depending how large the deck is. the space i had to put my 8's was pretty narrow, 10's would fit at max, but there wasnt any holes at all i had to cut my own and it wasnt terribly difficult.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
yea the only thing thats going to be hard is makin the box, because the gas tank is right underneath it, and i can't really remember how deep it was untill it hit the tank... would you recomend a fiberglass box for this set up? do you think that would be the best way to optimize the space?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 778
i have no experience with fiberglass but wouldnt reccomend it because personally i dont underdand how to figure the exact enclosure volume with fiberglass and thus i have been to afraid to try it espichally since i always go ported and the enclosure volume is very important when determing the port tuning.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
yea, i never go ported, im an SQ kinda guy ;-) would i be able to figure out the volume my using packing peanuts and then getting the basic mold from those if they are in a bag and i have the right calculations of the placement of the sub?

if i do, how would i go about securing the fiberglass to the mounting spot for the sub? using colking (sp?) or what? lol

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 780
like i said before i have no clue how to figure the volume of fiber glass enclosures but to attach it if you did go fiberglass i would put an mdf ring around the rim of the enclosure that will be aginst the metal of the car so that you can screw into the mdf for more security as well as fully caulk it so that it seals.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
ok, so an MDF ring, then get the fiberglass around that ring then screw, caulk it to seal?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 785
yea i would think that should work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us