Have a PROBLEM>

Silver Member
Username: Alpine97

Paramount, California USA

Post Number: 292
Ok I was bumpin today...for a coupple hours or so off and on. I have two type R's ported and a memphis 1000d amp. Everything sounds good and hit hard. Ok, heres the problem. When I last listened to it it was working good and was loud. I turned it down before I parked in my apartment complex. We got the late night munchies and it is like 20 degrees outside. I let my subs worm up for like 10 mins before showin my buddy how hard they can hit. When I turn it up past volume 10 (Alpine) the subs started cutting in and out. What do you think the problem is? They were working fine with no signs of Fu***ng up last time I listened to it? Mabye the voice coils were just really cold! HOPEFULLY!

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Post Number: 3580
you're clipping the sh!t out of them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
How? I have the Bass Boost off. The gain is 3/4 ways up and it's tuned to the box's setting.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Post Number: 3581
exactly... the gain is 3/4 the way up... you need to set your gains correctly

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
those subs are capable of like 750 rms...my amp is 1k...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5592
That has nothing to do with your gain being too high. Set it right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
I just hope after I recheck my gain and double check my settings, my subs wont do that n e more..

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
with a dmm is what u guys are talking about right...matching the volts with the HU?

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 725
yea clipping, like Reece said. if your amp is 1k watts then you can AT MOST send 500 to each sub(unless its underrated). if you try to send more thats called clipping. set your gains with a dmm then show him how loud it bumps.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 726
wow i must be a really slow typer lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
it's not under rated. After I set it with a dmm, do you think they will stop cutting in and out? I have a warranty on them and I might just take them back for two Kicker CVX's and then start from fresh, setting the gain with a dmm. I have never used one before and have never had an issue with clipping. Always just set it by ear.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 728
hopefully it will stop when you set your gains correctly. it can b done by ear but i dont trust mine lol. if it dosnt stop then you are prob going into protect mode due to short circuit or to low impedance. make sure that nothing is connecting between your speaker outputs on your amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
Yeah I am going to check it tomorrow. Thanks yall. Hope it works<Faith.

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
Somethin prolly rattled loose..these things shake the h3ll outta my car! Later.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1754
why would you get new speakers? just set everything right with what you have....

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
we will see..if they still cut in and out then yes bc they are still under warranty (7 day cash back)

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 683
will you please stop getting newwer and crappier speakers you went from some great subs to some subs that cnt even get up to the kappas level and now you want to go even further down to some kickers wow dude you are very backwards people usurally start with and alipne type r and go up to kappas or DD's you know something good rather than not so good

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5125
im pretty sure the cold weather affected your subs...20 degrees isnt exactly subwoofer friendly. the rest are just being ignorant about your gain.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16976
lol ben. kappas and dd shouldn't even be in the same sentence. you are talking about the infinity kappas right?

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16977
oh anyways back to the topic. whenever it cuts in and out, its usually the amp. everyone is saying check your gain. 3/4 is too much. if you don't want to set it with the dmm then why don't you turn the gain down to about 1/4 first and then try it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
It's working now...weird. I dunno what it was..

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Ben, you obviously dont know anything... the type r's sound better and are louder. But thanks bud.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16986
oh btw you said it was like 20degrees. but you are in southern california. it never drops below 50. when it does its rare.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6516
Sounds like thermal protection is kicking in. You're pushing your amp too hard through your gain or from whatever ohm load you're attempting to run.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
1 ohm. That amp is like a true 1k @ 1ohm. I just turned the gain down and set it by ear as if I were setting it with a dmm. The gain is about half way up now and it sounds better. Only problem now is with low frequncey songs it shakes everything so hard on my dash and makes the song skip when its turned up to like vol. 17 (Alpine). lol..

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
Yeah I live in so Cal. But I'm in the Marine Corp. and I have a one month leave so I am in Indiana right now. ITS FU(KING COLD OVER HERE!! This is where my other car is (TOYOTA CAMRY) My baby is in Mission Viejo, California.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1167
"im pretty sure the cold weather affected your subs...20 degrees isnt exactly subwoofer friendly. the rest are just being ignorant about your gain."

x2345235

It gets cold as hell here, and when im driving around in 0 degree weather the subs deff. dont play as loud. the suspension is soo stiff. After a while though they warm up and are better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
True, I have been lettin them warm up for about 15 mins before I start bumpin'. Then I gradually get into it.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1168
Yea. It seems that they dont get as low either when its cold out.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 749
i used to push my perfects so hard when it was cold but they never hit like they did when it was warmer when its like 70-80 my subs always hit the hardest.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1169
x2 i hate winter:-(

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 212
lawl at all of you, I live in Indiana, I bump all day, every day, no matter how cold it is, and that's with cheap a ss sony sh!t. Never had any problems like this, Thought sony was crap? lol lol lol lol

Ok i know it is, thus the reason for new equipment sitting in my apartment(warmer weather = install time). I was curious how someone would:
"set it by ear as if I were setting it with a dmm. "

is that possible? use your ear as if it were a precise meter of voltages?

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 213
hey nick, what are you doing in indiana? isn't 1 month leave like a vacation for you? I could have thought of better / warmer places to go this time of year

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2482
"is that possible? use your ear as if it were a precise meter of voltages?"

hahaha

Bronze Member
Username: Gignmofo

Post Number: 89
Your impedance is very different in a cold environment vs. warm. You would need a good amount of time(at least 20 minutes of medium power) for both the speakers and the amps to get warm, if it is very cold.

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Family. Going to Hawaii with my dad. Yes it is, I thought you knew. Sony does suck. late.

Silver Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 684
nick s i dont know about what? your fckin stupid you gave the perfect kappas not enought power not the right size box and your saying there crap since your in indiania wait till i get my new setup bring you little type rs down to the ville and i will kill your system before i role up learn what your sh!t be fore you talk it

and chad lee thats my bad i didnt pay attetion to what i wrote till you said something but the perfect kappas are some pretty good subs wouldnt you say?

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
ok. talk sh!t. where u at?

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
I'm glad I help defend our country for little disrespectful fu(ks like you that talk sh!t over the web. Go tune you Sony system. LMFAO.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 208
^^^"fu(ks like you that talk sh!t over the web. Go tune you Sony system. LMFAO."

arent you talkin sh!t over the web? lol

Silver Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 685
ok hmmmm buddy did i ever ask you to protect me from anyone was i the one that asked you to join the army or whatever to defend this country sorry no i didnt so before you throw one of your life desions in someones face remember who made that desion U did not me so dont try to tell me im the disrespectful punk talkin crap on the net your also talking crap ok get the picture i tired from the beging to help you and tell you which system would bang harder but obiviously u think that the subs that are dam good are crap becuz you dont know how to use them sounds personal to me. an btw i will never bang anything made by sony i ride either kicker or infinity only and you know if you check my profile out thats the old setup also my first which you know bangs pretty hard so go back to that pawn shop tell them that you need some real speakers and that you obiviously know absutly nothing about car audio also ask them to let you borrow a dmm im pretty sure someone would have pawned one not knowing how to use it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us