Building a box and I could use some help

Bronze Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 19
I am trying to draw/build a slotted or ported box for 4 12" subwoofers. I figured out the amount of airspace I need it to have and all the dimensions I want, I just need help with the slot or ports.

Fist off, Which is easier to figure out? Slotted or ported?

second, does anyone know of websites that can help me with this? I know that if the slot/port is in the wrong position or put in wrong that it wont sound right. I would do a sealed box except I want it to be as loud as possible.

any and all help would be spectacular.

Kevin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
also what would I use for the tuning frequency?

Im sure there have been literally one million of these threads but I didnt see any.

Thanks

Kevin

Bronze Member
Username: Mdcustoms

Grand Rapids, MI USA

Post Number: 30
Slotted or ported, they are both pretty muc the same to figure out. It is the same formula but you just have to figure out the cross sectional area differently. I personally like working with slotted ports because they are easier to make any shape you want. You only have a limited amount of diameter sizes with ported enclosures.

Here is a port calculator you can use. http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31
You can also use WinISD to help you design ports. It may take some time to get use to but it is nice when you do figure it out. Use this link as well.
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

The port can pretty much be put anywhere you want as long as it is not too close to the wall or if is not obstructed in any way.

It depends on the sub what tuning frequency to use as well as what you are looking for soundwise. The tuning frequency should be decided either by WinISD or some other calculations. You should also look at what the manufacturer recommends. Generally, a higher tuning frequency means that it will be more SPL and less SQ. A lower tuning frequency means better SQ but less SPL. This is general so make sure you check before doing anything final.

www.MDCustomz.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hey thanks alot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
How do I figure out how many or what size port I want to use?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12831
gemerally speaking 12sq"\cuft of port area is the lowest u should go ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us