OT: I need Stiffer Ride

Silver Member
Username: Moorezy

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 179
I own a 1992 Buick Lesabre. I notice the car has very loose suspension ( made for seniors ). Now that have thrown 4 12s in 7 cubic foot box net in the trunk ( 120 lbs ) there is noticeable sag. I know when i throw my 20s back in the the spring there is going to be rubbing on fenders everytime i go over rolling hill. So my question is. What is the easiest/cheapest way to fix the rear sag. I was thinking stiffer coils, or new struts. But to be honest i know nothing about either really. I just want a few pointers to stiffen rear end (
not have it look like its sagging on ground )

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3075
u've never had a problem riding a stiff either....... p w n e d

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1886
air shocks not air bags air shocks ran them on the toriono no problem old as dirt prolly 20+ years old leaked down and sat the car sideways..... not bad though just needs replacing

nothing different needs to be done except runing lines for an air hose

under 50$ same price as regular shocks

Bronze Member
Username: Ska

Post Number: 75
lol, never having a prob getting hard huh... so even when you look at g@y p0rn you get hard... hm...

P W N E D!!!

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1924
JK that was a horrible attempt at PWNING the OP you are very immature and its members like you that give ecoustics a bad name :-(

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 3076
lmao this pu$$y nigga deleted his comment right after i posted. that was directed at ur b!tchass ray lmao

Gold Member

Post Number: 1888
wow you guys must be bored as hell

tryin to find those shocks cant find a set under like a 80 cant find a direct link either jc whitney prolly has a set they have everything odd.... n its cheap

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5810
^^^first time rays pwnd anyone but himself!

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1926
"lol, never having a prob getting hard huh... so even when you look at g@y p0rn you get hard... hm...

P W N E D!!!" This has to be the worst attempt at pwning anyone omg i can't stop laughing at how lame this sh!t was hahahahaha LMFAO

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
okay air shocks you say? how much would those hit me for? i think i seen what your speaking of. the air shocks themselves i think were cheap but the compressor and stuff was 200 bucks i think. That would be the best solution would it?

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/buicklesabre19861999airlifta13607981.html

is this what you are talking of? these air shocks. im guessing to adjust stiffness you just pump it up like a tire?

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2469
hate to thread jack, but damn my jeep cherokee sags a little bit too. when i have kids in my back seat or my subs in, it sits so much lower than my buddies' jeeps and it makes me mad, how do i fix it?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5589
Shocks do NOT control ride height. Springs do.

You could get stiffer springs.

Cal, I'm betting you have leaf springs so you could just put in add-a-leafs.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2476
Sorry again to jack, but is that difficult M.S.?

i know when i was reading about lift kits i was seein those all over..

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5590
How mechanically inclined are you. If you work on your own vehicle you can install them.

I'm going to be putting a set in my Blazer this summer. The leaf springs are starting to sag.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2478
not mechanically inclined at all lol. Would it cost a lot to have new/extra ones in?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5591
FYI you will also need to get an alignment done any time you work on the suspension. Even though it's on the rear, it changes the suspension geometry and throws the alignment off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1889
yeah you can get springs but but the shocks would lift the car back up... he said he wanted the cheapest way out... and thats it.... stiffer springs would bring it back up also

yeah now that he says that i would get stiffer springs....

you wont need a compressor just go to the gas station and air up..... i did it in the torino dude with wagon like mines air bags (rear only) setup like that too.....

and those car do have leaf spring (googled) so add a leaf thing would work too

take it to midas or a mechanic you have your car will be stupid easy to put springs or shocks in the rear its front wheel drive no rear diff. to worry about

Gold Member

Post Number: 1890
http://www.airliftcompany.com/al1000.html

chek em out

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16974
stop hijacking this guy's thread. you know who you are.

anyways, how about coil overs derek. i don't know if they make for that car but you can adjust the height of the springs with those things.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
I was interested in the Air Shocks thing. They are like 80 bucks. I would be able to keep them stiff so the ride height would stay normal. I would probably get the compressor for 150 bucks. It would be a pain in the butt to adjust if everytime i was loading the car up with people. etc.

this is what i was thinking again...

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/buicklesabre19861999airlifta13607981.html

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1206
air bags/air ride, air shocks, coil over shocks, heavier springs, heavier struts, etc. depends on the vehicle and application. JMO

in your case, you probably jut need new struts..... JMO ... I have same weight in my trunk and with rear passengers have no problem with stock replacement struts....:-) Rear struts are easier to replace than the front for the do it yourselfer.... JMO

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1207
Cheapest way would be to get coil sprig spreaders or have the factory springs streatched, if they are it good enough shape. Replacement springs would do the trick too since springs get weak and "tired" after years of weight on them... JMO

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1208
For the ones suggesting shoks!..... You cannot put air shocks on this vehicle since it is equiped with struts all the way around. A conversiuon would be extremely hard if not impossible not to mention the high cost... Better look into new struts, possibly ones that can handle a heavier load! JMO

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1209
"very loose suspension" = "tired" sprigs, struts, or shocks . . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1893
ha ha im dump im not used to FWD vehicles im a rwd type of guy guess your gonna have to get struts.....

yeah and if you had struts why convert to shocks LOL that would be dumb

NEW STRUTS FTW

Silver Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 251
YOu know what derek you may have some air shocke on already do you have the self level system if so put some space on the springs and have some one bypass the normal air tube to the shocks and install a air valve so you can choose your own hight that is what I hade done to my old 1990

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
i took a peek under my car the other day. the rear has struts like you said but there is also a spring there. If i am correct on the air shocks the bags just go in between the spring and get pumped up. Why would this not work for my case?

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/ezs60798-d1.html

these here say they are meant for my car which is FWD and put in the REAR.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1223
Those are air bags, not shocks... If they say it will work than go for it....

Silver Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 252
that should work for you not the same thing I did but it seems like it will work better cuz when I put the valve on my 1990 the ride in the back seem a bit ruff cuz all the weight was on the shock and the shock was stretched out so it would not absorb any shock from bumps but if the spring is the one makeing the hight differnce it will ride a lot smoother buy letting the shock do its thing
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us