Please Help- Upgrading Stock System

Username: A_rathe9109

Post Number: 1
Alright, so i figure i should start by saying i know next to nothing about audio systems. I have a 2002 grand am gt and i want to put some subs in it. it came with an amp and 2 subs that come stock with the car. they are sitting in the back window, built in, and can be accessed from the trunk. is there any problem with me popping the subs out and replacing them with better ones as long as i upgrade the amp if need be? if so, will it sound worse then if i bought an enclosure? im trying to avoid putting the subs in my trunk or having them take up footroom.

Thanks, Austin

Bronze Member
Username: Ska

Post Number: 74
those subs are free air subs, i would not recomend putting aftermarket subs in those

give us a budget and we'll give you some real answers

Post Number: 2
alright, thanks. my price range is under 600. under 400 would be ideal though. if the amp has enough power should i just use it for the new subs and keep the free air ones unplugged? and also would the new subs sound fine in my trunk? i keep getting mixed answers about that

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Post Number: 3582
I think you'll have a hard time using that amp for your subs. it wont have near the power youll want. if you are just wanting a little bump I would go with a Audioque SD2.5 and a 750 watt amp of your choice. for info go to audioque.com

Post Number: 3
alright, well its in a convenient spot so would you recommend leaving those back subs unplugged and swapping out the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Post Number: 3586
nah man just leave those plugged... they are probably just midbass drivers. a 10 inch 2.5 shouldnt take up much room, but it needs to go ported so i would actually change my recommendation to you... i would prolly go with a dual 2 ohm image dynamics Q in a sealed enclousre to save you space... grab an amp that does 500 watts at one ohm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us