My truck keeps dying..do i need a capacitor????

Username: Mjben08

Post Number: 4
I just installed my new system. A MTX amp and sony sub and now my truck dies when i hit a bump or when i idel for a few. Do i need a capacitor or did i install it wrong???

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 42
its all right. i have mixed feelings about caps. if its a really big amp, i heard that they work. but some people say ho alt and another batt. the cap is cheaper but it doesn't work on small stuff. a ho alt, 0ga wire from the alt to the battery under the hood, 2ga wire from the batt under the hood to the batt in trunk. (one positave wire and 1 neg wire.) and all the connectors shuld run you about 350$
you can find all the wire you need at www.wiringproducts.com
ho alt: email dbelectrical@comcast.net

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1705
You sure as hell don't need a capacitor. Get a DMM and see what your voltage looks like at the amp terminals. Get someone to read it while you drive around. Since it's a parallel circuit (amp, battery, A/C, ignition, etc.), the voltage will be the same at all points in the circuit.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6554
Hmm...this happens when you hit a bump or you're at idle. My guess would be that your alt is dying or you have a bad connection somewhere.

Silver Member
Username: Tpa954

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 142
Make sure that you connection to you battery is screwed in all the way, and making a solid connection .

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 222
surprised no one ripped you a new one for using sony like they did me.

Post Number: 9
I fill like a COMPLETE JA if anyone ask what kind i have now!

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
... i know this isn't engrish class, but it's nearly impossible to understand some people on here

yah fill meh?

Post Number: 10
I joined knowing there would be some critics. But it has been a real Big help. Ive fixed most of my problems.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6657
What was the problem Matt?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Well i thought i fixed it but i havent. When i turn my radio from radio to cd it turnd my amp off i have it wired to the blue wire that is labeled ant/rem wire. What wire should i wire it to??? How is your hooked up?

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 98
there should be a blue wire with a white stripe. Use that. the Ant/Rem is for a power antenna that is retractable. In other words when the radio is on the power antenna goes up, with the radio changes to cd or turns off, it goes down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
^x2 on the antenna power wire

try looking for a wire that says remote / rem only, it may also say +12. Not sure what color it will be, I have consistantly seen yellow being my remote wire, but remember it's specific to your vehicle.

Personally I run a constant hot +12 to my remote input on the amp, then install a switch in that line so that I can turn my system on and off at will. Only draw back is forgetting to turn it off may kill the battery. Solution: Run from the remote wire if you can find it so that no matter what it's off when your radio is off, switch optional.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks-
I got it wired the right way. I had to wire it to the red wire which was batt/acc. I dont know what that meant all i know is that it turned my amp on when i turn the truck and off when my truck went off. It also played in CD mode. So thanks ALOT!!

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 909
batt / acc, means battery pos, and accessories which is when u turn the iggnition in acc mode or on it gets power, when turned off it gets no power but this will work fine for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us